What's new

Best AS to pair with ANY soap?

Depends on the season. Now that spring is here, although still cold in ohio, I put the citrus and menthol body washes in the shower. Same with the aftershaves. Winter is leathers and woods and musks.

I pay no attention to the soap when choosing the AS to follow it.
My favourites:
Reuzel (less alcohol than usual, great barbershop scent)
Proraso Red (sandalwood for the scent, plus shea butter for the feel)
Mennen Skin Bracer
Pinaud Clubman​

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Looking for more of a splash than a balm. I have a few good balms if I need to use them, so face feel is not a must. I may have to look at getting a clubman AS or Speick, they seem to be popular and would be a great addition I’m sure. Thanks for the suggestions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I look for splashes that punch way above their price level.

Aqua Velva and Skin Bracer are incredible.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I pay absolutely zero attention in trying to pair aftershave scents with soap. I probably part with a lot of people on the whole affair. I think that placing so much emphasis on the scent of soap is highly over rated. Once the soap has been lathered, the scent is pretty much negligable and the only soap I think I was ever able to smell after rinsing my face off was Proraso Sandalwood and even then the scent was so low as to be negligable at best. I'd bet that once the shave is completed, there are no soaps that would compete or clash with the scent of an aftershave.

Splash or balm? That would depend on skin type. My skin tends to be oily so balms are out for me because they make my face feel sticky. I like an alcohol based splash to make my face feel dry and smooth. Everyone here seems to sing praises for Pinaud Clubman. I think calling it Club-man would be more appropriate. The scent is so strong and cloying that it's like a club in the head. I've tried several of their scents and disliked them all except for their Citrus Musk so I could recommend that. I dislike practically everything you'd readily find in most stores but I'd recommend Aqua Velva Musk. It goes on a bit sweet but dries down to a very nice scent. Tiger Balm is very calming and non-stingy and it's low citrus scent will disappear almost immediately so that's a good one if you need to go scent free or you don't want to clash with a cologne if you are a cologne wearer. Aqua Velva blue smells like old man but if you can get your hands on some Aqua Velva Original Sport I'd definitely recommend that. It's not sold in the U.S. but if you have friends or family traveling to Canada, have them pick some up for you. It's cheap there and supposedly readily available in stores that sell shaving supplies.

not to hijack the thread, but for everyone here who doesn't bother with pairing, are any of you one-soap kinda guys?

When I still had a bottle of it, I paired Floid Blue with everything, and it went great with everything. Maybe pick up some Epsilon Blue as I hear that is very similar.

Top Bottom