What's new

Benz Straight Razor Rare?

I've got a Benz straight razor and am wondering how valuable it is. I have the box, and also the instructions. They are in German and it says Karl Benz in the top left hand corner of the page. The razor is brand new and has a blue handle and a gold circle on the blade with the word "Benz" in it. I can't seem to find anything on the internet about him making straight razors and can't find anywhere to find out the value either, so I'm assuming it's rare! I saw someone commented awhile ago on this forum (which was the only thing I could find on the internet regarding Karl Benz and safety razors (not straight razors) so I thought I'd ask here since you guys seem to know your stuff when it comes to this sort of thing and I'm a girl and don't shave my face obviously lol. I can't seem to post a pic of it on my phone so I'll have to log into my computer in a bit and try it that way. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks in advance! 😄

Valuations are not permitted by the Terms of Use for the forum.

If you want to know how much it is worth, put it up for sale on EBay, and see what someone will pay you for it.

If you'd rather find out it's true value, stop worrying about $$$$, get it honed and start shaving with it.

Oh I'm sorry I didn't know. 😔 I don't really need to know an exact value or anything, more so just if it's rare or not. I will get it properly appraised if so.

Lol I'm a girl so I don't think a straight razor would work for me 😉 Ok I'm on it!

$IMG_0226[1].jpg

Yes it really is! Oh and also I can't put it n eBay right now because the conversion from Canadian to American $$$ is ludicrous right now! :( Annoying to say the least!

Value of razor is very subjective hence we do not comment on value and price but as seraphim is saying you can look at the sold ebay auction for this razor.

This is a solingen razor and in good condition so it should sell easily at the right price.

Sent from Mars

Karl Benz was the same engineer that founded what is now Mercedes Benz. I read somewhere that he tried to get into the razor business but it failed after a short period of time. Better hold on to that because it might be a very rare piece of history.

Thanks for the input fasa and I completely understand. The problem I am having is I cant seem to find this particular model or make on the Internet whatsoever. So it makes me think it's rare. That's why I came here, just to ask if any of you had heard of it or not since you all are experts at this sort of thing. 😄👍🏻Obviously because I am of the latter sex I don't have a clue about these types of things lol!

Karl Benz as in, Mercedes-Benz. Just makes me think there's something good about this if it's not anywhere to be found. 😄

I was in the process of writing my reply when you commented 😄 You just answered my question beautifully, thank you! Wow, that's just incredible! Do you know where I could find more info on this by chance gvw?

I was in the process of writing my reply when you commented  You just answered my question beautifully, thank you! Wow, that's just incredible! Do you know where I could find more info on this by chance gvw?

Not much info. I found this thread on this site from way back and it was referring to a safety razor and not a straight:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/360597-Benz-razor

However Karl Benz is mentioned in your certificate and so I made the assumption it is the same person. Of course all references to Karl Benz talks about his mechanical engineering achievements and not about razors. The fact that you can't find any info leads me to believe it is very rare.

Keep in mind that, at one time, everyone on the planet shaved with a straight razor. Huge factories cranked out millions of them. Very, very few straight razors of any kind or make have true, high dollar collectable $ value (as in antique guns, etc.). As a rule the guys who will pay the most for them will likely shave with them. FWIW

I didn't know that Karl Benz made razors. It's a nice looking razor but I don't think the Benz connection adds a great deal to it. Get it honed and shave with it.

Thats a nice razor...nothing to fancy but yet appealing enough to use. The trick is what you expect to do with it.

Top Bottom