What's new

beard trimming.

Hello, Gents!

Despite how much I enjoy shaving, I'm told by everyone how "refined" I look with a beard, and so it goes, I'm growing it out again.

I'm looking for some advice on trimming my beard. I don't want a scraggly beard with unkempt hairs growing in various directions. I'd like something that looks good and professional!

I have a cheap trimmer..should I consider scissors? Some kind of wax? What do you all do to keep your beard looking fantastic?

Beard Balm and/or oil is definitely worth a try. It has taken my beard to whole new level. Get a good brush or comb, I recently purchased a Kent comb, accept no substitute. I shave the neck and cheek line daily. Once I determined the length, a trimmer with a guard does the trick to keep it maintained. I use the trimmer three times a week.

Beard Balm and/or oil is definitely worth a try. It has taken my beard to whole new level. Get a good brush or comb, I recently purchased a Kent comb, accept no substitute. I shave the neck and cheek line daily. Once I determined the length, a trimmer with a guard does the trick to keep it maintained. I use the trimmer three times a week.

Sage advice right there.

I keep my trimmer to a #1 or #2. Ended up shaving for Christmas, and i'll shave once more later today. That way i can say i haven't shaved since last year. It's finally starting to get cold over here, so i'll be growing a beard until it gets hot.

Do you trim against the grain? i usually just trim with the grain, never against it.

Sage advice right there.

I keep my trimmer to a #1 or #2. Ended up shaving for Christmas, and i'll shave once more later today. That way i can say i haven't shaved since last year. It's finally starting to get cold over here, so i'll be growing a beard until it gets hot.

Do you trim against the grain? i usually just trim with the grain, never against it.

With the grain, as if combing/styling, due to its wiry nature.

My trimmer is at #4. I like mine a bit fuller.

Last edited:
I've had a circle beard for about 10 years now and I'v always used trimmers, but I've never had a good one. I don't like how the hair gets everywhere when I use it over the sink. I would invest in one that catches the hair.

I'v recently started growing it longer and trying waxes and oils. I really like the way it looks better but i haven't quite figured out how to tame the flyaways yet. The oil doesn't do much for me and the wax never seems to dissolve well enough. I'm getting ready to order a balm to try. There are threads here on balms and waxes.

I've had a anchor beard for years now as it's a natural growth shape. I only need to shave cheeks and neck.

For the beard, just a decent trimmer works, and just find the length that you're happy with, I tend to use a 2 most of the time as I prefer it short, but still there... I tried the 1 a few weeks ago and I ended up with peach fuzz. (it's a new trimmer, as I go through them on a regular basis, the best I had was a Phillips, but it dulled eventually and couldn't find the same model)

I also use a tiny scissor for my upper lip to keep that trimmed, as I hate hairs over the lip. My scissor are one of those very sharp, tiny and pointy, from a one of those grooming kits with nail clippers and such, I believe regarded as a "cuticle scissor" but scissors are scissors and these are perfect.

I wear a Van Dyke and use an Andis trimmer with the spacer at 3/8". As short as this is I've never felt a need to treat the hairs with oil or wax. I trim my moustache with straight pointy scissors.

Sage advice right there.

Why never against the grain?

One thing I've learned is let it grow ALL the way in before styling. My routine coincides with my old shaving routine, I go in this order:

1) Before showering I trim my beard to length with a Phillips Norelco trimmer. I like it because it has a dial-able length in mm so i can really get the look I want
2) I'll shave my neck with my DE razor post shower
3) After I rinse, I'll take my shavette and line my cheeks, jawline, etc.
4) Finally, I line my mustache and ear line with an Oster T Finisher clipper.

I find with me, this EOD routine is frequent enough to stay looking well kept. I also use balm when my beard is a little longer to tame flyaways and stragglers. Haven't used beard oil yet but may if I let it grow longer.

It's ALWAYS against the grain/ATG with a clipper to keep your beard to length. Every barber I've been to who has done my beard uses the clippers this way. WTG, will flatten the hairs and they don't get trimmed.

After purchasing a few cordless trimmer without satisfaction I purchased a small corded trimmer that I have been really happy with. It has a smaller head and is quite maneuverable and plenty of guts. It comes with a variety of combs to cut at various lengths. I have been using it for over a year and could not be happier.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Babyliss-Fo...t=US_Shaving_Hair_Removal&hash=item2a479f5f60

I don't use any commercial waxes or preparations. I used shea butter and a drop of apricot kernel oil or avocado oil which ever I have on hand. Great combinations as a pre or post shave for your skin.

Last edited:
I use a DE to shave my neck and cheeks. I also have a fairly inexpensive trimmer that I use ATG to keep my beard in check. I haven't tested it yet, but the latest trimmer I got at least claims that it is completely submergable. My plan is to get a mirror and trim in the shower so the hairs will go down the drain.

I don't use any beard products. I shower with a body wash/shampoo/sometimes conditioner combo, and just rub this into my beard fairly aggressively. No issues with anything there. Sometimes when I shave, I'll just rub an after shave balm into y beard as well. It works better if it's a thinner balm, but I shave in the evenings so it doesn't really help for appearance at work.

I use a DE to shave my neck and cheeks. I also have a fairly inexpensive trimmer that I use ATG to keep my beard in check.

I don't use any beard products. I shower with a body wash/shampoo/sometimes conditioner combo, and just rub this into my beard fairly aggressively. No issues with anything there. Sometimes when I shave, I'll just rub an after shave balm into y beard as well. It works better if it's a thinner balm, but I shave in the evenings so it doesn't really help for appearance at work.

Exactly this when I have a beard. Which by coincidence, I currently do.
Trimmer set to 3/8"

If you go longer or just need to get the fly away type hairs, a good pair of hair scissors is always great to have in the kit.

Top Bottom