What's new

Beard Brush

A boar brush will really help keep those unruly hairs in check. I own one but find I prefer to use a comb once I get some length to my beard. I rarely use a brush after about 2 months of growth. A brush is good for getting it to lay down but can also be rather harsh for those with thick or curly beards. I use KENT combs on my beard. They are handmade, saw cut out of a solid piece and then buffed and polished leaving a silky smooth surface. They run through my beard like a knife through butter. I prefer not to use those cheap combs because they have so many harsh seams and ridges that snag on the hair leaving all sorts of discomfort and split hairs along the way.

A boar brush will really help keep those unruly hairs in check. I own one but find I prefer to use a comb once I get some length to my beard. I rarely use a brush after about 2 months of growth. A brush is good for getting it to lay down but can also be rather harsh for those with thick or curly beards. I use KENT combs on my beard. They are handmade, saw cut out of a solid piece and then buffed and polished leaving a silky smooth surface. They run through my beard like a knife through butter. I prefer not to use those cheap combs because they have so many harsh seems and ridges that snag on the hair leaving all sorts of discomfort and split hairs along the way.

Excellent. Thank you for the insight regarding brush vs. comb in relation to beard length.

You are welcome. Growing a beard is an awesome experience. It can also look good along the way with proper care. Some may say that all you need is a cheap comb but I disagree. Just like with saving gear, you almost always get what you pay for. Invest in a quality handmade comb that won't have any seams or harsh ridges and your beard will definitely look and feel better because of it. Beard oil will help keep the skin and hair hydrated and a balm can help keep the hairs in place when you're out in public. I make both my oils and balm at home but they really aren't all that pricey to buy either.

You are welcome. Growing a beard is an awesome experience. It can also look good along the way with proper care. Some may say that all you need is a cheap comb but I disagree. Just like with saving gear, you almost always get what you pay for. Invest in a quality handmade comb that won't have any seams or harsh ridges and your beard will definitely look and feel better because of it. Beard oil will help keep the skin and hair hydrated and a balm can help keep the hairs in place when you're out in public. I make both my oils and balm at home but they really aren't all that pricey to buy either.

Is there a particular Kent comb 'model" or 'type' you recommend?

Is there a particular Kent comb 'model" or 'type' you recommend?

I have a really curly beard so I have the KENT 12T as my home brush. I also let my beard grow from September to February so I get a lot of length to deal with. The 12T has long teeth that make it easier dealing with my hairs. I also carry a KENT OT as my ED pocket brush for touch ups through out the day. I really can't recommend which comb would be better for you because what works for me may not work for you. All I can say is that each KENT comb is handmade out of a solid piece, saw cut, buffed and polished so they should all have the same quality finish. It's the length of teeth and course vs fine that only you can decide on.

I have a really curly beard so I have the KENT 12T as my home brush. I also let my beard grow from September to February so I get a lot of length to deal with. The 12T has long teeth that make it easier dealing with my hairs. I also carry a KENT OT as my ED pocket brush for touch ups through out the day. I really can't recommend which comb would be better for you because what works for me may not work for you. All I can say is that each KENT comb is handmade out of a solid piece, saw cut, buffed and polished so they should all have the same quality finish. It's the length of teeth and course vs fine that only you can decide on.

Fair enough. I also have a thick curly beard. I just might give the 12T a try. Thanks.

Fair enough. I also have a thick curly beard. I just might give the 12T a try. Thanks.

You are welcome. I love the 12T. I wish I could use it as my ED pocket, but the thing is a little to big to be walking around with. When I'm home though, no other comb touches my face.

You are welcome. I love the 12T. I wish I could use it as my ED pocket, but the thing is a little to big to be walking around with. When I'm home though, no other comb touches my face.

I appreciate your time and advice. I have heard you can't go wrong with a Kent. Might as well treat myself.

I appreciate your time and advice. I have heard you can't go wrong with a Kent. Might as well treat myself.

Keep us updated after you get the things you decide on. I don't keep the goatee long enough to brush it, and only use the cheap comb that came with a hair trimmer package on it to help the beard oil distribute. The mustache gets the full treatment with the kent mustache comb though. Great product for sure.

I've never had a beard but for my mustache I use the Kent comb to work in waxes and the Stern Moustache Brush for general grooming mainly when I'm not wearing any product.

There is a decent selection of combs & brushes over at Royal Shave's "The Stache"

Keep us updated after you get the things you decide on. I don't keep the goatee long enough to brush it, and only use the cheap comb that came with a hair trimmer package on it to help the beard oil distribute. The mustache gets the full treatment with the kent mustache comb though. Great product for sure.

I've never had a beard but for my mustache I use the Kent comb to work in waxes and the Stern Moustache Brush for general grooming mainly when I'm not wearing any product.

There is a decent selection of combs & brushes over at Royal Shave's "The Stache"

Thanks guys. I am definitely going to get a Kent. Never had a 'cadillac' comb before. I am leaning toward the 12T but also looking into the differences in the various models. Thanks for the advice and links. One of the places where I purchase my beard products has a Kent edition comb made specifically for them. It is on the radar.

CAD in effect.

a

I ordered a Kent. I went with this model made specifically for Beardbrand. . I wanted both fine and coarse in the same comb with a bit of length to also use on my head hair. The 12T is strictly for coarse hair and shorter. I will keep you posted.

I ordered a Kent. I went with this model made specifically for Beardbrand. . I wanted both fine and coarse in the same comb with a bit of length to also use on my head hair. The 12T is strictly for coarse hair and shorter. I will keep you posted.

Awesome. If it's a KENT you're going to be happy... and whoever told you the 12T was for shorter beards is smoking the good stuff. The 12T really starts to shine when my beard reaches 5inches and beyond. It's a comb for a real beard.

Awesome. If it's a KENT you're going to be happy... and whoever told you the 12T was for shorter beards is smoking the good stuff. The 12T really starts to shine when my beard reaches 5inches and beyond. It's a comb for a real beard.

I have a good feeling about the Kent. I meant the 12T is shorter in length than the comb I selected. I went for something longer that provided an option for both fine and coarse. I hope I am getting the best of both worlds. Forgive my poor wording. The 12T is highly regarded for attacking a thick beard with great ease. Thanks for the support and taking the time to assist me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom