What's new

Barbers hone or 12k?

Even Jarrod doesn't list those as bouts. I'm not doubting the coti would be a great choice but it seems as of late no matter what is asked in the honing section of the forum the coti seems to be touted as end all be all. Even when the OP has not even asked about them in particular.

You're right, he doesn't. Jarrod's previous listing of "travel-specific" stones was listed as bouts, but these ones are as well based on Ardennes' sizing scheme. Anyway, I was simply replying to your question and ensuing statements. Although I do personally think that these little yellow stones are the best overall value (and fun to use), I have no interest in crusading. If someone chooses to use something else, I honestly don't care one way or another. My only interest is in providing factual information and my preferences when the occasion arises. I don't see why there's a problem with so many people sharing this opinion lately as that is what has been asked for--people's opinions.

I would get a Naniwa 12k. I always thought it was superior to the barber hones I tested. Later down the road you can get the 1 5 8 to complete the set.

A decent barber hone will run you about 50 from a knowledgeable source. A Naniwa 12k will run you 73.

What about hard Arkansas? I have a Smith's stone on a plastic base. Seems to do a nice job, but I haven't shaved with it yet.

Phil

update: something went horribly wrong with the honing and my razor was dull...shipped out for professional honing.

Phil

Last edited:
It seems like honing equipment is the trickiest decision to make vs. all the other areas of wetshaving equipment at the entry level.

My heart wants to say go with a natural stone, because I have found so much satisfaction from them in my own beginner experience... but it also seems like some guys have a really hard time with them, and I hate to steer someone into frustration when they are just getting started.

I really like my coticule, and I would say that if you are willing to take some time to read up on technique, maybe watch some videos, etc... that this is a really good stone to go with. You want to get some advice on the particulars of the stone you are buying, as well, if possible. Superior Shave is a good place to go because Jarrod will answer your questions about the stone you want to purchase.

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't mean to stir up so much trouble. I was just looking for a good, easy touch-up solution for a beginner. I want to give it a while to get my technique down a bit before I delve into real honing and restoration. Thank you for all the great advice.

I would expect that the technique for touching up a razor would be the same, no matter which stone you get. X-stroke on water. Whether it is 5 on an aggressive barbers hone, 60 on a coti, 150 on a C12K, etc...

So don't be afraid, pull the trigger and get something and just dive right in. It's fun! :)

Plus if you decide you want something esle, there's always the BST.

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't mean to stir up so much trouble. I was just looking for a good, easy touch-up solution for a beginner. I want to give it a while to get my technique down a bit before I delve into real honing and restoration. Thank you for all the great advice.

Trouble? No way, that's what we're here for. Lot's of good guys wanting to help

I think I'm leaning towards a 12K because I will most likely get the 1k, 4k, and 8k and start honing my own razors once I get my technique down. If I do change my mind and get a barber's hone, could it take the place of the 12K in the honing pyramid?

After using the naniwa 8k, I would say get a naniwa 12k rather than a barbers hone. Its bigger, and is not a pain to lap, and is very fast.

Top Bottom