What's new

Bald, as a "hairstyle" choice?

Disclaimer, I'm an old dude with hair in the front and sides but little on top in the back and it's all mainly silver. So I get the common advice to just shave it all off. I also get that it is a subjective decision. It's just not one I agree with for myself and it's rare that I see a bald guy where I think he looks better that way.

Some people have little choice as they have no hair on top. Everyone could have it on the sides of course. Michael Jordan and the Rock look OK bald. Most people don't IMO. The worse are white guys with a big round head.

I think most guys would look better with very short hair, where ever they can grow it rather than the shaven bald look. If you have some coloration to your skin either due to race or living where you constantly have a tan, it may look a bit better.

I've just seen "too many" YouTube videos lately where people of all ages who are losing a little hair are convinced to just shave it all off and then to grow a big beard. A few people can pull that off, many people can pull off short hair on top and a short beard but that big white shiny dome with a huge beard just looks odd IMO.

Obviously no offense to anyone here rocking those styles. I just wonder what most people here have as preferences.

Disclaimer, I'm an old dude with hair in the front and sides but little on top in the back and it's all mainly silver. So I get the common advice to just shave it all off. I also get that it is a subjective decision. It's just not one I agree with for myself and it's rare that I see a bald guy where I think he looks better that way.

Some people have little choice as they have no hair on top. Everyone could have it on the sides of course. Michael Jordan and the Rock look OK bald. Most people don't IMO. The worse are white guys with a big round head.

I think most guys would look better with very short hair, where ever they can grow it rather than the shaven bald look. If you have some coloration to your skin either due to race or living where you constantly have a tan, it may look a bit better.

I've just seen "too many" YouTube videos lately where people of all ages who are losing a little hair are convinced to just shave it all off and then to grow a big beard. A few people can pull that off, many people can pull off short hair on top and a short beard but that big white shiny dome with a huge beard just looks odd IMO.

Obviously no offense to anyone here rocking those styles. I just wonder what most people here have as preferences.
I am 60+ and hair is starting to thin...so I figure I should try and keep it as long as I can before it becomes just a memory. I think some men look really cool with a bald head and some look good with buzz cuts. I wear a buzz cut simply because of the pandemic and the only barber available to me was the dog's clippers with a #4 guard.

When I was younger I always said that when my hair started to thin in the middle that I would shave my head rather than do the comb over. And now I have arrived and it seems to me the buzz is the easiest solution. I don't think I would look good with a shaved head ...I am worried I would look like Mr. Freeze on the original Batman series.

I am 60+ and hair is starting to thin...so I figure I should try and keep it as long as I can before it becomes just a memory. I think some men look really cool with a bald head and some look good with buzz cuts. I wear a buzz cut simply because of the pandemic and the only barber available to me was the dog's clippers with a #4 guard.

When I was younger I always said that when my hair started to thin in the middle that I would shave my head rather than do the comb over. And now I have arrived and it seems to me the buzz is the easiest solution. I don't think I would look good with a shaved head ...I am worried I would look like Mr. Freeze on the original Batman series.
Yeah, I don't think the cover over is a good look either. :)

Since the "man with thinning hair" is a natural look, I say just rock that. :)

I have shaved my head to the point where it was just stubble...not completely bald, but 99% clean. The only way that you will know if "the bald look" works for you is to try it. With everyone locked down due to COVID19, this might be the perfect time to experiement with minimum social consequences.

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
I have been told that I look better with hair, but I absolutely do not miss it.

I initially took everything off due to radiosurgery on my head, coupled with a radiotherapy regime that I was told would affect hair growth on some areas of my head, not all. I decided it would just look odd and shaved it all off.

Instantly after I did that it felt amazing, no pesky hair to keep the heat around my head. I also can’t remember the last time I used shampoo, ideal since I get confused with all the available options. I’m clueless when it comes to hairstyles as well, and with a full head of hair, it’s easy to look scruffy or unkempt - not a good look when you’re an office based worker who meets clients regularly.

It’s a bit more high maintenance than having hair if you keep it really closely shaven, but since I enjoy the shave it doesn’t really feel like a chore to me. I shave usually once a day, once every other day if I’m lazy; after that the Velcro hair starts to get annoying.

I look like a q-tip with hair. I've always hated the way I looked with hair. No hair for this dome. Oh, and I have a crazy long beard. 🤷‍♂️

i grew 'too tall' for my hair ( a little on the sides and back and precious little on top) - looked like a peanut in a dark tutu. One day during the early summer and after months of using clippers to get it progressively shorter and shorter, my cousin dared me to 'bic it' my scalp was initially 'blue looking'.. but after a while it tanned and lots of ladies said it looked cool. I was also50 quid better off from the bet my cousin made. I'll never go back. pre covid I used to shave it every day too .. took mere minutes, quicker than shaving my face.

1589024088256.png

IMO, a bald head looks better than the horseshoe hairstyle of a man who is going bald and just cant seem to accept it. You say that most white men dont look good bald but about Bruce Willis? He's a bald white man who I think most women would say is pretty attractive.
I would say that for most men, a bald head with a beard looks better than a bald head with a clean shaven face. IMO, a man with a bald head and a clean shaven face just looks like an adult baby. You dont need to go crazy and grow a big, mountain man beard. You could do a stubble beard look like Jason Statham.
Im not bald but my hair is short enough that I might as well be. I always do the #2 buzzcut with a #1 on the sides with a stubble beard (I trim it to 3mm every other Sunday) and I almost constantly get compliments about how good it looks. Its even gotten to the point where Ive had women who I know ask me to try to talk their boyfriend/husband into trying the same look.
I wouldnt be afraid to at least try it, IMO a short buzzcut or bald shaved head look is better than the look of a man who is going bald and just cant accept it. Ive always said that if I ever get to the phase of the horseshoe look, to where theres no hair on the top anymore, Im just going to Bic it.

Man, I‘Ve always wanted to rock bald. though I’ve been blessed with a lot of hair, in the summer it just feels like a mop! Alas, my scalp is fugly? And I mean FUGLY! All bumpy and stuff littered with birthmarks. So I refrain - but I envy the Kojack’s of this world.

I did sport bald on the back of my head for a couple weeks during this lockdown though! And I’ll say this, my wife will never be given my electric clippers again. She literally did this to me!

70C28318-F413-4369-8AF8-B2979B403AD3.jpeg

(Not me but guy on the left was close enough)

I thought about going full Viking and taking out the sides too, but short of turning around, I looked sort of ok for my daily Zoom meetings.

Anyway, bald is beautiful - on others.

Top Bottom