What's new

Badger Wars: SOC vs Frank

The best badger brushes I've had so far are the bargain Chinese ones from Frank Shaving, which are terrific for the money - I've got a Silvertip and a Finest. But I wanted to try something a bit more upmarket, and I also wanted something with a bit more backbone to it - even the Frank Finest is a little softer than I often want.

So a SOC 2-band was ordered from Vintage Scent (I already have a SOC boar, and the handle is just about perfect for me), and it arrived today. I used it with Body Shop cream, and it's exactly what I was hoping for - it's got that extra bit of density and backbone that gives me enough of an exfoliation feeling, and the softness of the tips is just right.

But it's made me realise just how good both brushes are at their price points. The Frank cost only a little more than a third the price of the SOC, is not a long way behind it in quality, and is exceptional value for money.

The SOC clearly has better hair, is better packed, and has a far superior handle - and though it would be hard to quantify it as nearly three times better, I do think it also is very good value for the money.

So, I really do like both - but the SOC is something special :001_smile

The SOC 2-band is just awesome, I love mine!

But you hit diminishing returns pretty fast with shaving brushes IMO, hey I think I love my $10 Omega 10049 almost as much as the Semogue...

:001_smile

(I have a Thater 2-band coming, so I reserve the right to change opinions fast)

:wink2:

I have a Thater 2-band coming, so I reserve the right to change opinions fast
Hehe - do let us know what you think of it. I would never pay the price for one myself (but, like you, I reserve the right to change my mind at any time :001_smile )

Give it 3-4 shaves more and you'll see
It was very nice indeed on its first use, so I'm certainly looking forward to that :001_smile

The worst badger brush I've owned was a Frank Shaving. It didn't shed, it self destructed.
Yes, apparently the quality has been variable - but I think it was mainly older ones that were poor, and the latest ones are a lot better

But you hit diminishing returns pretty fast with shaving brushes IMO, hey I think I love my $10 Omega 10049 almost as much as the Semogue...
:001_smile

whats the return on investment for diminishing returns regarding? just ability to make lather? if so then every brush over $10 bucks kinda fails ... maybe i am missing something about the concept, please explain since i believe we are not talking about solely production as lather return would imply.

Eh... I've seen this diminishing returns argument with brushes before. There really isn't an objective answer when it comes to brushes (or most any piece of gear), just opinions.

To the OP, I'm glad you are having fun with your gear but... no pics??

whats the return on investment for diminishing returns regarding? just ability to make lather? if so then every brush over $10 bucks kinda fails ... maybe i am missing something about the concept, please explain since i believe we are not talking about solely production as lather return would imply.

Eh... I've seen this diminishing returns argument with brushes before. There really isn't an objective answer when it comes to brushes (or most any piece of gear), just opinions.

To the OP, I'm glad you are having fun with your gear but... no pics??

Yeah it's why I put in the IMO, of course the $10 Omega isn't as good as $90 Semogue, but the difference isn't as large as the price could suggest.

My FS Scubby has been a great little custom brush. Sure it lost a few hairs to start but for the money it can't be beat. It's not the same a my Duke 2 in best but that didn't cost less than a pizza at Pizza hut. Botth great brushes but again vastly different.

Used the SOC 2-band again today - and it really is terrific! (I seem to keep missing the hours of daylight - photos will be here soon, I promise!)

OK, finally got a photo sorted out. Here's my new SOC 2-band next to its boar cousin...

$D1139_002.jpg

Top Bottom