What's new

AZCat's Shave Journal

I've been enjoying my vacation this past week. I'm off next week also and we're beating the heat and heading to the beach. When I have a few days off I still like to shave every 3-4 days. I shaved with my SA for the first time on Tuesday. I used my Tabac Stick, a new GSB, and finished off with some Proraso green. I set the SA on 5 but it still felt like it was dragging. I know my lather was good but maybe I should try a higher setting. I've read that the SA seem to more mild than the Slim. I'm also trying to get used to the long handle. Maybe I was using more leverage than necessary. I'll have to play around and see. Shaved yesterday with my newly coated SS with that same GSB. I used VDH soap and finished with witch hazel and Nivea ASB. I really enjoy using the SS. It's really intuitive and I never worry about razor burn or anything when I use it. I'm thinking about trying a feather blade in it next. I haven't used a feather in a long time. They seemed to be a bit rough on me but I think they'll be great in the SS. One thing I noticed about the coating is the razor glided more easily over my face. Definetly made it a bit smoother. I don't know if I'll have any other razors coated but I like it on my SS.

I decided yesterday that I'm going to take a much more minimalist route in my shave hobby. I've been at it for over a year and tried several soaps and know the ones I like. I'm also set on razors and I use 1 brush exclusively. I think I'm going to work through all the soaps/cream/blades I have before I buy anything else new. I might even downsize some razors or just keep them for the collection but not rotate them in.

Good stuff. Personally I've settled on some favorite soaps, and DE's then I got into straight's and injectors. :)

BTW love the look of that SS.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Good stuff. Personally I've settled on some favorite soaps, and DE's then I got into straight's and injectors. :)

BTW love the look of that SS.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

There's still so many soaps I want to try but I definitely have some favorites. I'm sure I'll settle on 2-3 soaps eventually and only use those.

I'm loving my SS. It needed to be replated eventually anyway and I couldn't be happier with the results.

I'm back from vacation and back at work this week. I had a great shave yesterday. I hadn't shaved since last Sunday so I had quite a bit of whiskers. I loaded a feather blade in my Merkur 34C and whipped up a sample of Stirling Ozark Mountain. I really love sharp blades in mild razors. I've used this combo before when I haven't shaved in days. The razor glided effortlessly through my beard. I did 3 passes, 2 WTG and 1 XTG resulting in a very close comfortable shave. I finished off with witch hazel and Nivea ASB. The thing I hate about letting my facial hair grow out that much is my neck gets super scratchy and irritated. My neck was a little red after the shave but I think it was just irritated from the hair. Does anyone else find they have the same irritation when they don't shave for a few days?

Today I'm home sick. The last day of our vacation my youngest started sneezing and had a nose like a faucet. Yesterday my wife had a sore throat and headache and now today I'm suffering the same. At least the kids are feeling alright. My oldest starts 1st grade this week. If time could slow down a bit that would be great!

My birthday is this month so I'm thinking about using my birth year Super Adjustable all month and really learn it. I'm still working through soaps/cream I do have. I also have about 15 Polsilver blades I'm going to work through.

I'm back from vacation and back at work this week. I had a great shave yesterday. I hadn't shaved since last Sunday so I had quite a bit of whiskers. I loaded a feather blade in my Merkur 34C and whipped up a sample of Stirling Ozark Mountain. I really love sharp blades in mild razors. I've used this combo before when I haven't shaved in days. The razor glided effortlessly through my beard. I did 3 passes, 2 WTG and 1 XTG resulting in a very close comfortable shave. I finished off with witch hazel and Nivea ASB. The thing I hate about letting my facial hair grow out that much is my neck gets super scratchy and irritated. My neck was a little red after the shave but I think it was just irritated from the hair. Does anyone else find they have the same irritation when they don't shave for a few days?

Today I'm home sick. The last day of our vacation my youngest started sneezing and had a nose like a faucet. Yesterday my wife had a sore throat and headache and now today I'm suffering the same. At least the kids are feeling alright. My oldest starts 1st grade this week. If time could slow down a bit that would be great!

My birthday is this month so I'm thinking about using my birth year Super Adjustable all month and really learn it. I'm still working through soaps/cream I do have. I also have about 15 Polsilver blades I'm going to work through.
Yep, same here. About day 3 or 4 the neck starts getting pretty itchy. Though I haven't gone more than 2 days since I started DE.

I'm in the same boat. Just off vacation, kid got sick at the end of it and now wife and I have it. Worked from home yesterday, but today just zoning out at my desk mostly. Waiting to go home to nap.

Yep, same here. About day 3 or 4 the neck starts getting pretty itchy. Though I haven't gone more than 2 days since I started DE.

I'm in the same boat. Just off vacation, kid got sick at the end of it and now wife and I have it. Worked from home yesterday, but today just zoning out at my desk mostly. Waiting to go home to nap.

It's always tough being sick with the kids. Luckily everyone is feeling better today. Hope you guys are all feeling well soon!

First shave of August with my birth year Super Adjustable.

- Stirling Ozark Mountain soap sample (I think I can only get about 1-2 more shaves out of it)
- WCS Synthetic
- Polsilver
- Witch hazel and Nivea ASB

This was actually my second shave ever with this razor. Started off with a setting of 4 since I thought 5 was a little rough last time. I got a few strokes into it and actually decided to knock it down to 3. It was smooth the rest of the shave. I had read that a lot of people say the SAs are pretty mild even in the higher settings but I think I feel the blade even more on this razor at a 5 than I do with my Slim on 5. Maybe I just need to get used to the angle with this razor. Also the long handle is going to take some getting used to. It's not quite as maneuverable as my other razors. Other than that, the results were pretty good considering it's just the second shave. I performed my normal 2 pass shave with just barely the slightest hint of irritation on my neck. I think this will be a good little experiment using this razor the rest of the month.

Well I'm a little bummed out after this last week. I had been getting to know my SA all week but on Friday I went to change the blade, heard a loud click when I loosened the bottom, and the razor came apart :001_huh:. I'm going to have to email Scott at North Shore and see if there's something that can be done. I had sent it off to him for his razor rite service. I'm hoping something can be done. I finished off the week with my SS and got good shaves. I have a little irritation on one side of my throat that I'm trying to figure out. I used a new shave cream this week. I picked up some Pacific Caffeinated Shave Cream while at the grocery store. It's actually a pretty good cream and I get good results with a brush and face lathering. I'm thinking of maybe trying a shave before I shower. I feel like my face always has some red spots visible right out of the shower. I want to see if putting blade to skin first will be better instead of aggrivating it after a shower.

I'm off again this week. My wife had a small out-patient procedure on Monday so I'm home being Mr. Mom while she recuperates. I decided to do things a little different last night. I needed a shave and a shower before bed so I decided to give the whole shave before the shower another go. I washed my face with my Nivea face wash and then immediately started lathering. I drew some inspiration from a new thread where someone asking for opinions on Proraso Green. This made me want to break it out along with my Omega 10049 boar brush. I let it soak while I washed my face and then (also inspired from the same thread) I employed the "Marco Method" and loaded up the brush. I really don't know why I don't use this brush more often. It's probably been at least 6 months or so. It's perfectly broken in and probably the softest brush I own. Using this method I had great lather in no time. I loaded a fresh Gillette Sharp Edge in my SS and went to work. Two passes and a little touch up had me feeling great. I've got a couple ingrown hairs on that one side of my throat that was irritated last week but nothing anywhere else. I hopped right in the shower afterwards and after drying off applied Nivea ASB. I think it's a little too early to tell if the shave was indeed better before a shower. I'll have to try it a few more times to have a fair assessment.

Some thoughts about the shave though:

- Proraso Green will probably always be in the rotation

- I might need to buy another boar brush since I realized how much I like this one

- Gillette yellows are a great pairing in the SS. I might need 100 of those.

- The SS is my daily driver for now. I love the way it shaves and now that it's re-coated I enjoy using it even more.

IMG_4543.JPG

I'm nowhere close to experienced enough to give advice about shaving yet, but the thing that made the biggest difference for my post shave irritation was switching to a cool water shave.

I'm nowhere close to experienced enough to give advice about shaving yet, but the thing that made the biggest difference for my post shave irritation was switching to a cool water shave.

That's a good idea. I might have to give that a try also if the shave before a shower isn't working out.

Top Bottom