What's new

aveeno shave gel

Hmm... I have some Pure. Never tried it brushless...
Mine's in the tube, not the can. It's an excellent cream, with or without a brush. I find that it leaves my brush a little sticky and so I have to put a little more effort into rinsing.

I think Aveeno is the best canned product I've tried, but it is rather expensive compared to most. I find the strong base used in most canned foams doesn't agree with my skin if I try to use it for too many days in a row, but Aveeno and Nivea were both gentle on my skin.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Aveeno was one of my favorite cans of goo before I switched to soaps/creams... I also really liked Nivea gel in the can, which I would rate as a bit better than Aveeno (for my face).

My experience mostly matches this. Nivea seems more protective and slicker for me.

And I have to say, brush/bowl lathering with it makes it perform even better than going straight to the face.

Aveeno Therapeutic by itself wasn’t a lather monster for me, but Nivea Sensitive is crazy. Like make an obscene bowl of thick lather, shower, then have lather ready and waiting for shaving without breaking down during shower time crazy.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Favorite use of Aveeno Therapeutic is mixing it with Kiss My Face Pomegranate Grapefruit. The protective feel of the Aveeno matches well with the lather of the KMF. Between the oatmeal and fruits, it’s a last breakfast for my stubble.

Can anyone offer a view on the differences between the various forms of gel?

* Positively Smooth (pale blue cap) - soy, aloe, and Vitamin E
* Therapeutic (dark blue cap) - oat and Vitamin E
* Therapeutic Active Naturals (brown cap) - there's also an Active Naturals for Positively Smooth

The Active Naturals cost more -- no surprise.

The Aveeno site says the Smooth is for dry skin and the Therapeutic is for dry and/or sensitive skin.

Are we talking just marketing here or do they truly work differently?

Last edited:
Bought the Positively Smooth yesterday after finishing my previously brushless product (Harry's).
Used it today.
It is very good.
BBS shave with my Harry's cart razor and my skin feels different.

Bought the Positively Smooth yesterday after finishing my previously brushless product (Harry's).
Used it today.
It is very good.
BBS shave with my Harry's cart razor and my skin feels different.
Sounds good! I've used Aveeno lotion more than any other brand over the years and have always liked them. Went through a few cans of the shave gel, too, but it has been years ago.

Does the one you bought have a scent?

Top Bottom