What's new

Austin TX green coffee

So, I saw a Poppery II at a trip to the Goodwill the other day and remembered a conversation I'd had with someone about roasting coffee with an air popper. I brew, make wine, cheese, pickle, garden, etc. but have never tried roasting coffee, I figured now would be as good a time as any to start. I looked around for local places and found Third Coast Coffee Roasting. If you live in or around Austin you should give this place a shot. They roast their own, but also sell smaller amounts of green coffee beans. The girl working there was really helpful and recommended the beans on my description of what I like in a coffee (chocolaty, and spicy). They're on South Congress at St. Elmo, on the west side of the street back in the corner of what looks like an empty strip mall. I ended up picking up a couple pounds of Mexican Merizi, at 5.50 a lb., all of their coffee is free trade, and after just finishing my first roast the beans taste amazing. Just thought I'd put a plug out there for anyone in the area.

Sounds good! What you can do - if possible - is buy their roasted beans and the same type of green bean which you roast. Then you can compare theirs against yours. How cool is that?

-jim

I was thinking about doing that the next time I go down there. It would be cool to see how the different roasting styles effect the beans.

Top Bottom