What's new

My Foray into Coffee Roasting

Warning: This is a musing of sorts, and I'm aware from the outset that many of you will very shortly enter a state of "tl;dr" or "WoT". Skip ahead. For the rest of you, well... I'm only left to assume you poured a cup of something hot and tasty and have nothing better to do for a few minutes than read about my coffee roasting experience.

For a little background, there are small things that have lead to this interest for a while. Ironically, it started with me reducing my caffeine intake for some health-related issues. Coffee became a weekend treat, making way for tea on the weekdays, which lead to another problem: stale coffee. It just takes me so long to work through a pound of coffee that the idea of "recently roasted" went out the window when I tore into only my 2nd bag from Christmas gifts in February. Storing a pound of roasted coffee wasn't cutting it. Even if I could get it roasted the day before I bought it (from a great local roaster), the benefit would only last one weekend.

More recently, I had been researching home roasting as a means to keep fresh coffee on hand, since green coffee stores much longer, and I can roast only what I'll drink on the weekend. The problem was basically cost of entry. I thought I had to have a Gene Cafe or something, and it would be far too difficult to get that approved (budgetarily speaking). But then I read a post on this very board where a guy mentioned, in passing, that you could roast coffee in a Popcorn Air-Popper.

"You must be joking..." I thought.

Googling...

"You're so not joking. This is awesome!"

The high points for me were small batch size, consistent roasting, minimal cash outlay, and an overall simple process. I was able to secure the coveted West Bend Poppery II for a reasonable price, and a 4lb sampler from Sweet Maria's. That's also where I got pretty much all of my information, and I've found it an encouraging resource -- really helpful. Anyway, the tracking for the popper roaster had it arriving today, but there's a problem: no beans until Monday. I'd previously looked for some green coffee locally, and not really gotten very far. Well, it turns out there IS a seller in Raleigh with Single Origin, green coffee at very reasonable prices (I paid $13 for two 1lb bags, different varieties). I placed an order, picked it up, and got set for my first try with the roaster.

If you skipped the WoT above, this is where the goods are.

The beans were 8th Sin Coffee Co. Timor Organic. I set up a large bowl lined with wet paper towels to collect chaff, and it worked very well. I started with a bit less than 1/2 cup, but the beans were spinning too fast, so I added a few more. I bet it was a full 1/2 cup by the time it was going. As the beans yellowed and then browned, I noticed they were not only spinning but sort of bouncing in the hopper (you know, that name makes more sense now). Didn't seem to be a problem, though. 1st crack was at 3:15, really got rolling by 4:00, rolled for almost a minute, and totally quit by 5:15. This was where I got a little nervous, but it didn't make me wait too long for second crack (6:15). Not wanting it to get too dark, I decided to stop at 6:30 and start cooling. I noticed the hood was a bit warm, but not soft or anything. I dumped the beans into a large coarse sieve and began cooling. PS, take care when tossing/shifting the beans in your sieve. Excited shaking can lead to cleaning up freshly roasted beans. I'm just saying.

Once I figured they were all cooled down, I put them in a low, fat mason jar (8oz) that I picked up at WalMart and loosely secured the lid. Periodic checks seem to indicate that this is allowing the beans to breath well enough, so I'm going to leave it like this overnight and tighten in the morning. Finally, here are some pics of the beans. I tried to compensate for the ultra-white background (which I thought would help show true color) but it's a bit bright.

If you have any comments, feel free to leave 'em! I'd love tips and feedback. I won't be brewing these until Saturday morning, but I'll report back then.

:thumbup1: Looks like you are having fun. Your roast time was very fast, but I have never used an air popper. Will be interesting to see how it tastes.

As for other local green bean suppliers, some friends have bought from Crema Coffee in Cary before but this link indicates the owner may no longer be open to that idea

Awesome. Congrats! I started with a Poppery II, which has been re-purposed as a popcorn popper. :)ohmy:)

You're lucky to get an 8min. roast on the poppery II. :laugh:

Would anybody be able to speak to the roast level from the pictures and description? I figured minimal time in 2nd crack and bean color comparison it's probably Full City+ but might be Vienna. I kind of want to avoid Vienna if I can, if it's true that it sort of defeats the purpose of buying coffee for its origin characteristics.

great stuff! for years I have thought of roasting my own and should probably just plunk down for the roaster i really want... I am fascinated by the Gene cafe...

I've read the DIY mod guides/watched videos for literally 4 years... how time flies...

Exciting!! I bought a Poppery II earlier this winter with the intention of roasting. I just have to wait for the weather to warm enough to get it outside. I don't have a garage, or I'd be in there. Your report is encouraging.

Kev

Exciting!! I bought a Poppery II earlier this winter with the intention of roasting. I just have to wait for the weather to warm enough to get it outside. I don't have a garage, or I'd be in there. Your report is encouraging.

Kev

Well, let me encourage you if you do decide to try it indoors to do all that you can to rapidly evacuate the smoke. Non coffee drinkers (namely, my wife) will NOT be impressed. I roasted in our master bathroom (it's a separated deal, where the shower/toilet is closed off from the "vanity" area). The ceiling exhaust fan did nothing for me. This morning, our towels smelled like coffee smoke. Hopefully, I can do another roast tonight outside (it'll be high 60's but likely very humid), but I've convinced her to let me try once more in the bathroom with the roaster closer to the window and a box fan.

Wifey actually made me shower become coming to bed because I still smelled like coffee smoke. :blush:

Would anybody be able to speak to the roast level from the pictures and description? I figured minimal time in 2nd crack and bean color comparison it's probably Full City+ but might be Vienna. I kind of want to avoid Vienna if I can, if it's true that it sort of defeats the purpose of buying coffee for its origin characteristics.

I thought your roast color looked good. Should make a good cup for you this weekend. This picture may be useless to look at on a computer monitor and compare against the real thing, but I find it handy:
proxy.php

Well, let me encourage you if you do decide to try it indoors to do all that you can to rapidly evacuate the smoke. Non coffee drinkers (namely, my wife) will NOT be impressed. I roasted in our master bathroom (it's a separated deal, where the shower/toilet is closed off from the "vanity" area). The ceiling exhaust fan did nothing for me. This morning, our towels smelled like coffee smoke. Hopefully, I can do another roast tonight outside (it'll be high 60's but likely very humid), but I've convinced her to let me try once more in the bathroom with the roaster closer to the window and a box fan.

Wifey actually made me shower become coming to bed because I still smelled like coffee smoke. :blush:

Outside man, outside. Or in the garage.

Looks great! I'm sure you're going to enjoy, if you haven't already. FWIW, over time you might notice your roasting times change a bit with the popper -- I used to hit second crack pretty quickly around 6 minutes, depending on the beans. I now hit it around 7 to 7.5 minutes. Pan roasting is another option, and you wouldn't need to worry about showering before going to bed as most likely you'd be sleeping outside!

This almost took an ugly turn tonight. I tried to pull off a roast outside, but with 50F temperatures and a nice wind, the roaster was having none of it. Not even 1st crack, 10 minutes in. Tried with a short drop cord and everything. Wasted 3 batches at 1/2c each. I was salty.

Convinced the wife to let me try a fan in the window and a more direct line from roaster to chaff bowl to window. So, I evacuate the bathroom of towels which would absorb smoke scents, and line up my approach. The toilet is right below the window, so with the fan in the window running full blast, chaff bowl on the tank lined with wet paper towels, and roaster balancing on top of a cardboard box on top of the bowl lid, it looks very redneck.

But it worked. By golly, it worked! No smoke scent beyond the door! Quick shower and a spritz of air freshener, and we're home free.

As for tonight's beans, 8th Sin Guatemalan SHB Ceylon. Roasted up to Full City + again, with pretty similar times.

1st Crack (3:15) 3:45-4:30 (5:15)
2nd Crack (5:45) 6:30 *Roast Stopped

The outliers seemed a little more outlierish. Also, last night's roast of the Timor resulted in 81.5g of beans. Right now, over an hour after roasting, the Guatemala weights 72.4g (and there are fewer beans, natch). I noticed far less bounce in the hopper, so this batch size is good. At least 75g would be nice, so I could roast two varieties for the weekend, enjoy a full pot of each on Saturday and Sunday at 60g each, and then have 15g each for a half-pot to try out a blend!

Unfortunately, I haven't weight the beans before hand. That might be smart to do... Anybody got the rough math on how much roasted coffee a pound of unroasted beans may yield?

This almost took an ugly turn tonight. I tried to pull off a roast outside, but with 50F temperatures and a nice wind, the roaster was having none of it. Not even 1st crack, 10 minutes in. Tried with a short drop cord and everything. Wasted 3 batches at 1/2c each. I was salty.

Convinced the wife to let me try a fan in the window and a more direct line from roaster to chaff bowl to window. So, I evacuate the bathroom of towels which would absorb smoke scents, and line up my approach. The toilet is right below the window, so with the fan in the window running full blast, chaff bowl on the tank lined with wet paper towels, and roaster balancing on top of a cardboard box on top of the bowl lid, it looks very redneck.

But it worked. By golly, it worked! No smoke scent beyond the door! Quick shower and a spritz of air freshener, and we're home free.

As for tonight's beans, 8th Sin Guatemalan SHB Ceylon. Roasted up to Full City + again, with pretty similar times.

1st Crack (3:15) 3:45-4:30 (5:15)
2nd Crack (5:45) 6:30 *Roast Stopped

The outliers seemed a little more outlierish. Also, last night's roast of the Timor resulted in 81.5g of beans. Right now, over an hour after roasting, the Guatemala weights 72.4g (and there are fewer beans, natch). I noticed far less bounce in the hopper, so this batch size is good. At least 75g would be nice, so I could roast two varieties for the weekend, enjoy a full pot of each on Saturday and Sunday at 60g each, and then have 15g each for a half-pot to try out a blend!

Unfortunately, I haven't weight the beans before hand. That might be smart to do... Anybody got the rough math on how much roasted coffee a pound of unroasted beans may yield?
Assume 14-16% weight loss with the Poppery II.

This almost took an ugly turn tonight. I tried to pull off a roast outside, but with 50F temperatures and a nice wind, the roaster was having none of it. Not even 1st crack, 10 minutes in. Tried with a short drop cord and everything. Wasted 3 batches at 1/2c each. I was salty....
Moving indoors was the right thing to do. I have heard of folks putting their roaster/Poppery inside a large cardboard box to preserve some heat or at least block the wind. That might have worked for you today. Either way the weather is starting to improve.

The toilet is right below the window, so with the fan in the window running full blast, chaff bowl on the tank lined with wet paper towels, and roaster balancing on top of a cardboard box on top of the bowl lid, it looks very redneck.

But it worked. By golly, it worked!

I guess that gives a new meaning to pan roasted....:w00t:

Well the bathroom still smells :blush:

Not as bad, and only that room, but I still don't think the wifey will be too pleased. Any reason to suspect a Nesco or iRoast (or even Behmoor) would smell up a room less? I get the impression something like the Gene Cafe would be very helpful considering the duct-ability. But I'm getting WAY ahead of myself there.

Anyway, just got done drinking the Timor! 8th Sin doesn't have a ton of tasting notes, at least not helpful ones, and this is my first ever home roasted coffee, so there are a lot of variables. That said, if I bought this at a store, it wouldn't be a repeat. It's not bad, really - just doesn't really get me going. The flavor is not overly complex, and there's a bitter/sour note up front that's a little strong. It feels rich, it has good body, and the finish is sweeter with hints of nut. Judging from notes on a comparable variety from Sweet Maria's (and what the girl at 8th sin told me) FC+ was the way to go - but surely just because I got there doesn't mean I did it well. Even if one was able to avoid the abrupt early flavors, at best this would only be a "good" coffee (SM calls it a good house coffee or a crowd pleaser).

Maybe what I ought to do is buy roasted beans and green beans of the same variety and see what the difference is... funny how good ideas come to you late.

I'd let it rest a day or so more before you pass judgement on it. Roasted beans need time to develop all of their flavor characteristics. It may also have to do with the very fast roast times you experienced. Some may prefer the taste of the faster times, but my roasts generally take about 18 minutes when roasting 3/4 lb.

Sorry about the outside recommendation not working out. Depending on whether you have a ventilation hood over your stove, you may give that a try. Although, if its not strong enough you could end up scenting the entire house.

Congrats on getting the home roasting going!

I started out on the Poppery2 like your doing now...you can learn a lot from that setup. I have never roasted indoors, I did roast in the garage a few times though. Cardboard box around the roaster will help for sure but it gets tough when its cold...I even partially melted the hood once.

Roasted beans will get better after resting 3 days and will usually peak 5 - 10 days out.

And there is coffee roasting/brewing AD...you have one toe in there now!

Interesting feedback re: resting. I roasted these on Thursday night, around 7:30pm, and didn't grind them until 7:30am Saturday - 36 hours of rest. I thought that was plenty, judging by the reading I had done. I really only roast enough for one pot, so I don't necessarily have the ability to see what another day of rest does for one batch. That's part of the charm and drawback of this method - one roast, one brew.

We'll see if I detect some of the same "problem flavors" with the batch I brew tomorrow, which will get almost the same amount of rest (probably more like 33-34 hours, since I roasted so much later in the day). That would indicate either insufficient rest of problematic roasting. I can't roast on Wednesday nights, so it would be Monday/Tuesday.

The other possibility is I could man up and go ahead and mod this puppy with pots for heat and fan.

I also started with an air popper. One thing to remember (if you want to continue using the popper) is to let it COOL DOWN between uses. I got too aggressive and melted mine. If you want a good site for info. and pics of different roasts, try Sweetmarias.com. They are located in Oakland, CA and have a great selection. Also, great cupping notes/scores.

I also started with an air popper. One thing to remember (if you want to continue using the popper) is to let it COOL DOWN between uses. I got too aggressive and melted mine. If you want a good site for info. and pics of different roasts, try Sweetmarias.com. They are located in Oakland, CA and have a great selection. Also, great cupping notes/scores.

Yeah, that's where I got nearly all of my information (I may have pointed that out above).

Top Bottom