What's new

Audiobooks

I'm researching options for an audiobook service. I know of Amazon's Audible, but know there are others out there. If you use an audiobook subscription service, which one do you use and why do you like it?

I use Audible and have been for over 10 years. It is a pretty good service. I have dozens of books that I haven't had time to listen to yet. Chirp is another one that I use but not as much as Audible. Hoopla is a free service offered by many public libraries - you should check it out. Not only can you check out audiobooks, but movies and eBooks as well. You can stream the movies on your TV if you install the Hoopla app on your streaming device.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have been using Audible for years and it is great, buy a new computer device and its transferable also. I like Western stories and Louis L'Amour is one of the best story writers of western tales ever IMO.

I have been using Audible for decades. I used to check out free audible books from my local public library on-line, but I do not bother with that much, if any, any more. Audible seems easy to use and I can keep track of what I at least own, if not have listened to.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
1697576732189.jpeg

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Why pay? Get yourself a library card and download the "Libby" app. You can then go online and check out audio books and listen to them. Bonus points - you can check out e-books and read them on your e-reader. Bonus #2- download the "Kanopy" app and you can borrow movies from the library.

I'd love to read some recommendations for audio books in this thread. Not just any book that you enjoy, but the books that the narrator is above and beyond.

For me-

"I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
Written and narrated by Maya Angelou

"Slouching Towards Bethlehem"
Written by Joan Didion, narrated by Diane Keaton

"The Kite Runner"
Written and Narrated by Khaled Hoesseini (keep some tissues handy)

"Crying in H-mart"
Written and narrated by Michelle Zauner (bonus- check out the band "Japanese Breakfast ")

"Kitchen Confidential"
Written and narrated by Anthony Bourdain. This book and its author will always have a special place in my heart.

"Atlas of the Heart"
Written and Narrated by Brene' Brown

"The Road"
Written by Cormac McCarthy, narrated by Tom Stechshulte. Many of McCarthy's books are great as audio books IMHO

Final bonus- your library likely has more online offerings that you can access. Crafts, classes and even more. Did I mention that it's FREE?!?

Most of my audio book time is in the car, what's the best service for listening to them there?
I think they all work in that you can download the book to your cell phone and then play your cell phone through your car radio, as you would, say, You Tube. I think the software for all of these services is at least good. I suppose you can play Audible.com books from on-line without downloading. I am not sure that is a great help, at least for me. The download files do not seem to be huge or anything.

I'd love to read some recommendations for audio books in this thread. Not just any book that you enjoy, but the books that the narrator is above and beyond.
Almost without exception any book you see me mention on B&B as something I have read or am reading is going to be audible. I do not make a distinction between something I listen to and something I read on paper or kindle. So if I say I like something I am liking it in the audible version. As for narrators, as I indicated, I get most of the books I listen to from audible.com. In recent years, I would say that I have found virtually every narrator to be at least decent. I think there was much more variation in quality for narrators a decade or two ago. I guess I did not seem to love the narrator for the Game of Thrones books. (I am blanking on the real name of the series.)

I suppose George Guidall seems to narrate the Longmire series. I like him. Titus Welliver is currently doing Michael Connelly books and is excellent. Dick Hill used to and he is excellent, too. Also for the Reacher books. The Reacher books seem to use a variety of narrators and I think I have liked them all. David Chandler for CJ Box books. Phil Gigante for Andrew Vachss books. John Lee and Robin Sachs for Jo Nesbo books. Lou Diamond Phillips has narrated at least some Tom Clancy audio books, and some things I cannot bring up from memory. I think he is a fabulous narrator. I agreed that Cormac McCarthy's are excellent in audio.

I've been listening to the CD audiobook (28 CDs) of the George Eliot classic, "Middlemarch" narrated by the actress Juliet Stevenson. She is superb and gets the intonation and voicing of each of the many characters perfect, including the males. I don't know how much audiobooks narrating she does. The only male comparable to her is Patrick Tull, whose Dickens audiobook narrations are wonderfully done.

I've used Audible & mostly now use Hoopla. However, there are still plenty of books on CD at my local library, so I go that route too. I notice some folks gave book recomendations. I think the best audiobooks are written in an 'oratorical storytelling' mode, like Dickens. When read, it feels like someone is on stage telling you a story. I've listened to quite a few audiobooks. My absolute favorite audiobook is "A Prayer for Owen Meany" by John Irving. The book is a masterpiece IMO, it's the best book Irving ever wrote. The reader is amazing. Owen is supposed to have this weird voice and the reader just nails what you imagine he would sound like.

I have about a terabyte worth of audiobooks. My mp3 players are off the grid. No online or Bluetooth. I pay for nothing. Many can be found for free. Many the library wouldn't carry. You don't own anything paid for through audible.

I've been listening to the CD audiobook (28 CDs) of the George Eliot classic, "Middlemarch" narrated by the actress Juliet Stevenson. She is superb and gets the intonation and voicing of each of the many characters perfect, including the males. I don't know how much audiobooks narrating she does. The only male comparable to her is Patrick Tull, whose Dickens audiobook narrations are wonderfully done.

I have to add George Guidall to the narrator list along with Robin Miles.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Very interesting. My son loves audiobooks, and tells me it is his favorite form of "reading" now. He also says the same thing about so much being available for free.

Also lets him multitask, he says. Although having divided attentions may promote doing nothing efficiently. As long as he is getting his mind fed regularly, who am I to complain. He's an adult, and his own man.

I still read much faster than any audio or video stream can deliver it, and prefer to consume my information that way ... at least as long as my eyes hold out.

Another vote for getting the library card and looking into Libby AND Hoopla. My library uses both, and for some reason there are different audiobooks available on each service. I've seen no reason to go the Audible route. It's a monthly service you pay for AND still have to pay for the books! At least, that's my understanding - please correct me if I'm missing something.

Of course, this does limit you to the books available from your library. Sometimes you have to wait. You can tag books your library doesn't have with a request to get them, and my library has actually added these at times (I assume others have requested them as well...). Libby plays through my car audio from my phone. Occassionally, it looses it's place for some reason. I generally think this is because I share the account with my family and they will accidentally start the audiobook when listening to one of theirs. Regardless, it's a great way to see if audiobooks are for you before you put any money into the equation.

I still read much faster than any audio or video stream can deliver it, and prefer to consume my information that way ... at least as long as my eyes hold out.
No doubt that regular reading is faster and I expect more efficient, than listening to a book read to one. I often say that I read faster than I listen, usually in reference to some presentation. But I read at work all day long, and become tired of reading by the end of the day, and I find being read to soothing. I am usually listening to some light fiction. I am not looking for an efficient transfer of knowledge.

I probably do most of my listening to books while driving or while falling asleep at night. Sometimes while I am doing some menial task.

Top Bottom