What's new

Attn: Schickheads!

I'm wanting to get into a Schick Injector and have been doing some reading. Please tell me if I am understanding everything..well, not everything, correctly.

Older models are more aggressive than newer. Newer meaning J through N? Is the I considered newer? Comparison: I have a Gem Jr. 1912. Sometimes good shave, more times than not, kinda uncomfortable. And I understand that a Gem is a bit aggressive.

Pella and the new China made Schick blades are good, along with NOS Schick blades made in U.S. But I'm confused which NOS are good. Seems to me Schick made several styles of injector blades.

I don't think I've read a bad (unhappy) thread about the Schicks. Frustrations, yes. I'm anxious to get my hands on one, just a little unsure which one...or two...or... Well, let's just start with one.

Recommendations and comments welcomed, of course. How'd I do? Am I pretty much on, or did I miss something?

Anyone have something you're willing to get rid of (razor wise), before I head to the bay or B/S/T?

Thanks to everyone for reading and guidance.

Good shaving,

Kevin

I recently bought an older style injector from the 40's off ebay. My experience is that while shaving it feels quite mild, but afterward you can tell its a bit agressive. The skin can be a bit tingly, but no real irritation or redness. I get great shaves from it and would guess its no more agressive than your GEM. I have been using Shick blades that I got at the store, and they shave fine. I have only used this injector so I can't comment on other versions, but I highly recommend giving it a try.

I think mine is an "L" model. I buy Schick brand blades on Amazon.com, and get great shaves. I get far more shaves per blade with the Schick, which offsets the higher price of the blades. A very comfortable and forgiving razor, seems to me.

The reference I've probably looked at the most is here: (there are several Schick devotees here who know waaay more than I about these guys)

http://www.safetyrazors.net/schick/schicktech.htm

The shave really depends on you though - my first 1938 Type E "Made in Canada" with a butterscotch bakelite handle still is my favorite. I found I got the best results with genuine Schick blades.

Fun shavers. Fun to change blades too, you just don't get to do it as often.

The B/S/T is where I'd go get one - post a WTB.

I've also got a Type L (three, actually, two of them still sealed. And no, they're not for sale. I've got to plan ahead for the next 50 odd years :wink:), those are great shavers. As far as blades go, I only tried the NOS blades made in Holland that came with the razors and new Schicks made in China.

The NOS blades are crap, very rough and not lasting long, 3-4 shaves tops. The Chinese ones are also a bit rough on the first shave, but mellow out after that to last another 5-6 wonderful smooth shaves.

Top Bottom