What's new

Attention Fellow-Fanatics: Please Describe Your Shaving Routine

OK guys, I want to hear all about your shaving routine in every nit-pickin' detail, because I'm as fanatical as the rest of you. And no lunatic likes to be alone in his lunacy. That's why were here. I'll start off.

>First I pick out from my arsenal a soap or cream, an aftershave or witch hazel, and perhaps a new blade, and bring them in the bathroom.
>I load a blade in my razor (I'm still experimenting with various brands and models).
>I turn on the hot tap water and let it run into the inner and outer chambers of my scuttle until the scuttle is good and warm. Then I hop in the shower.
>I scrub my face with a washcloth in the shower to exfoliate it. And I end the shower by running the hottest water I can handle over my face for about a minute, to soften the whiskers some more.
>After showering and drying off, I empty the scuttle and refill it with hot water, dip my synthetic brush in it (it doesn't need pre-soaking), and squeeze the water out of the knot, leaving it damp.
>If I'm using a soap, I bloom it for only about 10 seconds in hot water, pour out the water and begin to load the brush. If I'm using a croap, I'll load the brush directly from the tub without blooming. And if it's a cream, I'll scoop out a bit with a fingertip and put it in the scuttle's inner chamber after emptying the water.
>I empty the water from the inner chamber and begin whipping up a lather, adding a few drops of hot water at a time until it's the right consistency.
>I rinse my face in hot sink-water for about 30 seconds, as the whiskers have already begun to dry. Meanwhile I'll leave the brush in the scuttle to keep it and the lather warm, as I always do when I'm not using it.
>I apply the lather to my face first in firm, circular strokes followed by painting strokes for more thickness. I leave the lather on for a couple of minutes before shaving, to soften the beard some more. This is a good time to rinse clean the soap bowl or tub.
>I warm up the razor under hot water. Two passes over my cheeks gets them baby smooth. Two over my chin is all it can handle without razor-burn. And I always need to make three just below the jaw-line, which can handle it.
>I rinse my face, first with warm water, then cold, and dry it.
>I rinse out the brush thoroughly with warm water, squeeze out the water, fling out more water in the shower, stroke it on a towel, and hang it on its rack
>I separate my razor's three parts and remove the blade.
>I rinse the blade and pat it dry on a towel. Then I rinse the razor parts, wipe them dry, reassemble the razor and hang it back on the rack.
>If I'll use the blade again, I place it on the paper it came wrapped in and mark a line on the paper so I can keep track of how many times I've used it.
>I empty the scuttle, rinse out the soap, dry it, and hang it up uncorked.
>I apply witch hazel or aftershave with one of my wife's cosmetic cotton pads (it's less wasteful), usually followed by a balm.
>The razor gets a drop of oil on its threads once a week.

This whole routine takes about a half-hour, and I find it a relaxing pleasure that takes my mind off of death and taxes. My psychiatrist has increased my dosage, so I think I'll be OK now. So how about you?

Almost all my shaves are like this:
  1. I grab my Mühle synthetic brush and put it to soak.
  2. I go into the shower and wash myself.
  3. I give my brush a quick shake to get most of the water out and then in a bowl I whip up some lather, currently with Speick shaving cream, as I have run out of shaving soap. I inspect the lather to see if it got the perfect "shine" I know is spot on, if not I adjust the water amount.
  4. I brush on the lather (actually the most painful part because of super sensitive skin and even though I got a synthetic brush, it is too much).
  5. I grab my iKon X3 loaded with Feather and begin shaving WTG followed by relathering and an ATG pass
  6. After I have rinsed and dried my face, I give it a splash of witch hazel followed by Stirling balm.

Set the brush in hot water in the scuttle

Make sure whatever soap or cream I'll use that day, and whatever razor, are near the sink

Shower, shampoo

Dry off (except for lower face), put on some moisturizer

Towel and blow-dry hair

Fill the sink. As the water (usually tepid, not hot or cold) runs I set a towel on the counter, pour out the hot water from the scuttle, squeeze most of the water from the brush, open my cream or soap. Wet face

Load up brush; face lather

Take about 2 minutes to make the bed and any other short small chores I can come up with

Then apply razor to face: XTG on cheeks, WTG on throat

Rinse, relather; ATG on cheeks, XTG on throat, maybe some ATG

Rinse, relather throat and lower lip; do any cleanup or buffing, and shave lower lip

Drain sink, rinse face, rinse and squeeze out the brush and hang it up. Spritz some Scrubbing Bubbles on the razor and let it sit while I splash on aftershave and add balm. Rinse razor and set it to drain; rinse sink out; put away or close various items

Clubman talc on just-shaved areas

BREAKFAST!

1. Warm shower.
2. Lather tallow soap of the day the brush of the day (usually badger).
3. 3-passes with Wolfman (WTG, XTG, ATG) and blade (from rotation).
4. Wash off residual lather.
5. AS splash (from rotation).
6. Clean equipment.

I always do 4 passes and it takes me 5-6 minutes

After my hot shower (during which I wash my face and stubble well with regular soap) I simply re-wet my face with hot water and put on some shaving foam (usually Proraso green) from a can.

Than I take my trusty Mercur 34c (loaded with a Feather or a Persona or a Shark blade) and do a quick 4 pass shave (with the grain,across to the right,across to the left and against the grain).

The secret is to shave SMALL areas (around 3 sq cm) and perform ALL passes at the same time rewetting your face w/ a bit of hot water after each pass thus eliminating relathering.

So what I do is shave a 3 sq.cm area w/ the grain with shaving foam on it and than immediately re-wet the SAME area with a bit of hot water (I simply dip my finger into hot water and drag it over the particular area on my face) and shave the same area across the grain to the right than re-wet and shave the same area across the grain to the left and than re-wet and shave the same against the grain (yes the water reactivates the "invisible film" the shaving foam leaves and provides plenty of glide and slickness).

Than I move to the next area and do the same all over again ( I start on my half right cheek under my ear,move to the other half closer to my nose,moove to the right side of my neck than move to my left cheek and left side of the neck and leave my nose & mouth/chin areas for last)

I do this VERY fast (I have been shaving with a DE for more than 30 years so I have very good technique) and this way I do a complete 4 pass shave in around 5-6 minutes.

I have been shaving like this since 1980 and the result is BBS everytime .

I always do 4 passes and it takes me 5-6 minutes

After my hot shower (during which I wash my face and stubble well with regular soap) I simply re-wet my face with hot water and put on some shaving foam (usually Proraso green) from a can.

Than I take my trusty Mercur 34c (loaded with a Feather or a Persona or a Shark blade) and do a quick 4 pass shave (with the grain,across to the right,across to the left and against the grain).

The secret is to shave SMALL areas (around 3 sq cm) and perform ALL passes at the same time rewetting your face w/ a bit of hot water after each pass thus eliminating relathering.

So what I do is shave a 3 sq.cm area w/ the grain with shaving foam on it and than immediately re-wet the SAME area with a bit of hot water (I simply dip my finger into hot water and drag it over the particular area on my face) and shave the same area across the grain to the right than re-wet and shave the same area across the grain to the left and than re-wet and shave the same against the grain (yes the water reactivates the "invisible film" the shaving foam leaves and provides plenty of glide and slickness).

Than I move to the next area and do the same all over again ( I start on my half right cheek under my ear,move to the other half closer to my nose,moove to the right side of my neck than move to my left cheek and left side of the neck and leave my nose & mouth/chin areas for last)

I do this VERY fast (I have been shaving with a DE for more than 30 years so I have very good technique) and this way I do a complete 4 pass shave in around 5-6 minutes.

I have been shaving like this since 1980 and the result is BBS everytime .

Very interesting technique, and I'd bet very unique. I'd have never thought you could get four passes from one lathering. Glad I asked. Thank you.

1. Warm shower.
2. Lather tallow soap of the day the brush of the day (usually badger).
3. 3-passes with Wolfman (WTG, XTG, ATG) and blade (from rotation).
4. Wash off residual lather.
5. AS splash (from rotation).
6. Clean equipment.

I too find that tallow soap produces a better lather.

Set the brush in hot water in the scuttle

Make sure whatever soap or cream I'll use that day, and whatever razor, are near the sink

Shower, shampoo

Dry off (except for lower face), put on some moisturizer

Towel and blow-dry hair

Fill the sink. As the water (usually tepid, not hot or cold) runs I set a towel on the counter, pour out the hot water from the scuttle, squeeze most of the water from the brush, open my cream or soap. Wet face

Load up brush; face lather

Take about 2 minutes to make the bed and any other short small chores I can come up with

Then apply razor to face: XTG on cheeks, WTG on throat

Rinse, relather; ATG on cheeks, XTG on throat, maybe some ATG

Rinse, relather throat and lower lip; do any cleanup or buffing, and shave lower lip

Drain sink, rinse face, rinse and squeeze out the brush and hang it up. Spritz some Scrubbing Bubbles on the razor and let it sit while I splash on aftershave and add balm. Rinse razor and set it to drain; rinse sink out; put away or close various items

Clubman talc on just-shaved areas

BREAKFAST!

So you use the moisturizer as a kind of pre-shave product?

Almost all my shaves are like this:
  1. I grab my Mühle synthetic brush and put it to soak.
  2. I go into the shower and wash myself.
  3. I give my brush a quick shake to get most of the water out and then in a bowl I whip up some lather, currently with Speick shaving cream, as I have run out of shaving soap. I inspect the lather to see if it got the perfect "shine" I know is spot on, if not I adjust the water amount.
  4. I brush on the lather (actually the most painful part because of super sensitive skin and even though I got a synthetic brush, it is too much).
  5. I grab my iKon X3 loaded with Feather and begin shaving WTG followed by relathering and an ATG pass
  6. After I have rinsed and dried my face, I give it a splash of witch hazel followed by Stirling balm.
Interesting how you determine when the lather is ready by its shine.

My routine is rather simple.

I wash my face and head with Neutrogena liquid soap.
I put whatever brush I am using in a cup of water. Take out my soap (I use the same soap until it is used up.) Load the soap on the brush I am using today (I change brushes daily). Wet my face and lather up. I take the razor I am using that is in my rotation and do a 4-pass shave. Rinse off with cool water. Wet my head and apply lather. Take the injector razor I use for my head and shave. One pass on most places and a second on the back of the neck and side of the head. Rinse off with cool water. Apply WH and AS. Rinse off brush, shake twice, rub on a towel, and put in a holder. Rinse off razors and dip in rubbing alcohol. Put razors in stands and put soap in cabinet. Shower.

Entire routine takes less than 30 minutes.

My routine is rather simple.

I wash my face and head with Neutrogena liquid soap.
I put whatever brush I am using in a cup of water. Take out my soap (I use the same soap until it is used up.) Load the soap on the brush I am using today (I change brushes daily). Wet my face and lather up. I take the razor I am using that is in my rotation and do a 4-pass shave. Rinse off with cool water. Wet my head and apply lather. Take the injector razor I use for my head and shave. One pass on most places and a second on the back of the neck and side of the head. Rinse off with cool water. Apply WH and AS. Rinse off brush, shake twice, rub on a towel, and put in a holder. Rinse off razors and dip in rubbing alcohol. Put razors in stands and put soap in cabinet. Shower.

Entire routine takes less than 30 minutes.
Interesting how you use just one soap at a time, but rotate your brushes and razor. And I like the Neutrogena idea because it doesn't leave a residue on your skin. I'm already seeing a lot of variety in just the handful of responses I've had so far. Please keep them coming guys. This is educational and very interesting.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I throw the metal bowl with the brush into hot water ... gives warm lather.

Wife brings expresso while I select a soap from cabinet-rotation. (Rotation itself rotates monthly- those soaps are boxed, others come out. Season is considered).

Blade is good for six turns of a hand-forged iron die. Razor then rotates out after six shaves. OLD, NEW SC, Piccolo, NEW LC, Adjustables, OLD Single Ring ... FB ... who knows. All of them.

Six shaves and a new razor. One shave and a new soap. Different aftershave daily too.

I used to change blade type too, but since I got a thousand Dorco Prime Platinums ... and they are 100% fine in every way ... trying to chew those up. Think it will be 13.2 years.

AA

Interesting how you use just one soap at a time, but rotate your brushes and razor. And I like the Neutrogena idea because it doesn't leave a residue on your skin. I'm already seeing a lot of variety in just the handful of responses I've had so far. Please keep them coming guys. This is educational and very interesting.
Actually, I use one razor until it is time to change the blade and then I go on to the next razor.

Recently, I have started to use an olive oil soap to wash my face. It does an excellent job and seems to leave my skin slick.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
1) Prep (method varies)

2) Shave (No less than one pass, no more than four.)

3) Rinse and finish (method varies)

Some folks seem to swap kit daily, and then stick to a rigid ritual for using it. I stick to the same kit, but the shave itself varies.

I throw the metal bowl with the brush into hot water ... gives warm lather.

Wife brings expresso while I select a soap from cabinet-rotation. (Rotation itself rotates monthly- those soaps are boxed, others come out. Season is considered).

Blade is good for six turns of a hand-forged iron die. Razor then rotates out after six shaves. OLD, NEW SC, Piccolo, NEW LC, Adjustables, OLD Single Ring ... FB ... who knows. All of them.

Six shaves and a new razor. One shave and a new soap. Different aftershave daily too.

I used to change blade type too, but since I got a thousand Dorco Prime Platinums ... and they are 100% fine in every way ... trying to chew those up. Think it will be 13.2 years.

I like the part about the espresso the best. I shave my wife's legs as she stands in the shower. Ain't marriage grand? I love having a traveling partner.

r

AA

1) Prep (method varies)

2) Shave (No less than one pass, no more than four.)

3) Rinse and finish (method varies)

Some folks seem to swap kit daily, and then stick to a rigid ritual for using it. I stick to the same kit, but the shave itself varies.

Very interesting. I think I'm in that rigid camp, but I'll make just one pass on the rare occasion I'm pressed for time. No one sees the difference but me anyway.

Actually, I use one razor until it is time to change the blade and then I go on to the next razor.

Recently, I have started to use an olive oil soap to wash my face. It does an excellent job and seems to leave my skin slick.

I use Dove soap which also contains a moisturizer. It must lend some slickness too.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Very interesting. I think I'm in that rigid camp, but I'll make just one pass on the rare occasion I'm pressed for time. No one sees the difference but me anyway.

I do get that. I think some people need to be routined and ritualised in what they do, and therefore depend on the change of apparatus and products to give them a feeling of variety.

I think one of the reasons that I haven't fallen in any of the shaving related rabbit holes, is that I already have variety in my shaves every day, and depend on the apparatus and products to afford me a feeling of consistency, that others get from their rigid routines.

Strange isn't it, how so many of us need both a feeling of consistency and repeatability, plus an otherwise conflicting feeling of variety in our shaves. I'd get more bored sticking to the same routine than the same kit. I'd rather wear the same boots everyday, and explore a different path, than walk the same path every day and just change the shoes. There's one of the reasons I chose the AimlessWanderer moniker ;)

Top Bottom