What's new

Assessment of some razors

[I already posted this elsewhere, but I think it could belong here too.]

I've got a really heavy, thick beard, and I've tried quite a few razors. Here are my observations (just opinions, not the gospel):

Gillette Superspeeds (1948-1954 models, 50s and 60s models, and 70s models): As a general rule, these are pretty tame. They are comfortable to shave with, and they have a small amount of blade exposure (equal to about 3 or 4 on a Gillette Adjustable). If you think that it might be hard to get a BBS shave because of your thick beard, you might want to reserve these guys as "daily shavers", when you're more worried about comfort instead of closeness. The early models are especially easy to handle.

Gillette Techs (1930s-40s): Very similar to superspeeds IMHO. I have found it hard to find one with equal blade exposure on both sides as there tends to be some blade "play" before tightening. There are quite a few varieties of handles too.

Gillette Super Adjustable (60s-80s): Long handles, usually black. The long handle can aid in helping to keep the proper angle. Dialing above 3 or 4 can result in getting a closer shave than the superspeeds. Easy to get around the nose with.

Merkur Futur: This bad boy can do some work (with a Feather)! I can get REALLY close when I set it beween 2.5 and 3.5, although I would recommend starting at 1. The settings are NOTHING like Gillettes. 1 is ALMOST like a SuperSpeed in terms of exposure (although the angle is different), and 6 on the Futur is probably equal to what a 2,000,000 would be on a Gillette (Yes, I'm exaggerating, but it is REALLY high). I've found that I get an extremely close shave in 3 or 4 passes, but risk razor burn if I play around too much. This is the guy to use on "date night".

Merkur Slant: Just used this one for the first time today. I can get about as close with this one and I do with the Futur. I feel the same way as far as using this one ATG, in that it could really burn you bad if you're not careful. I wouldn't be scared of it though. Used it with a Feather - no nicks, weepers, or anything. Slight burn though.

Hopefully this give some of you newbies with tough beards a place to jump off from.

Top Bottom