What's new

Arrival of first FP order - Preppy, Noodler's Air Corp, and more!

Good evening, Gentlemen!

Being new to the Nib, I thought it'd be fun to share my initial experiences and impressions - and as you help me chronicle these baby steps into this new adventure, we might help enable others who are considering it!

Like many others, I began by buying what was immediately available, a three pack of Pilot Varsity's. They were fun, a bit too wide and wet for my liking, but got me rolling anyway. Then I continued to research, reading many articles here and there, pondering over many options, drooling over the beautiful pens and inks on vendor websites. I eventually opted to stick with Goulet Pen Co, as they have many helpful tools on their site, are B&B affiliated, and seem quite active in the pen & ink community.

My first order arrived (VERY well packaged) today. As mentioned in other threads, I bought a 3oz bottle of Noodler's Air Corp Blue-Black ink, 3oz of Noodler's Liberty's Elysium Blue ink, two Platinum Preppy pens (one blue, one black), a few ink samples, and gear to convert the Preppy's to eyedropper fill (o-rings and silicone grease).

But let me share this shot first. I'd read how full Noodler's inks come - well, I didn't know you meant this FULL!!

$IMG_2930.jpg

I did go through the work of using rubbing alcohol to remove the label/paint from the pens, and then used a syringe to fill them (a bit over 2ml) with the new ink.

Here is the whole order together (glass bowl to contain any accidental spills, of which there were none, btw). The Air Corp is truly much more green than simple blue-black, and I believe Goulet's color swabs show this accurately. I haven't quite inked up the Elysium yet, but will shortly!

$IMG_2934.jpg

Other than this, I do have a Sheaffer No Nonsense (italic fine nib) on the way, plus a couple PIF's (not sure what they'll be, I love surprises!) may be arriving in the near future as well (thanks so much, guys!)

Otherwise, I am still quite frustrated with my forays into cursive writing - I'm having flashbacks to 4th grade and hating my handwriting. I'd gotten used to my quirky print, and even sort of like it. But my cursive is just terrible. I will continue to practice, but letters to loved ones will continue to be printed for now...

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Whoa, is that a jelly bean floating on the ink?

Congrats on the goodies!

Nice haul, I have a bottle of Air Corp as well. I play around with diluting it with water, and get some really cool dark green shading.

Nice haul, I have a bottle of Air Corp as well. I play around with diluting it with water, and get some really cool dark green shading.

Good idea! I did notice that shading after running the nib under a bit of water to try to get the flow started. Definitely more green-black than blue-black, I'd say.

It's a weird ink, if you dilute it it's green, if you put a drop on a paper towel it will be black with a blue outline. Here is a pic of some diluted Air Corp in a Konrad. It's more green in real life.

$IMG_3473.jpg

There is actually no green in Air Corp B-B. Nathan has said this, and you can demonstrate it for yourself by putting a drop on a wet paper towel. Be that as it may, it's one classy ink. Enjoy!

A Preppy was my first pen and I still think it is a great pen for the price. Now that I am getting more accustomed to using something other than a Super Sharpie to write with, I may be more comfortable with a small pen and may go back to it.

Noodlers 5 O'Clock Shadow is a nice ink with some green in it.

It's a weird ink, if you dilute it it's green, if you put a drop on a paper towel it will be black with a blue outline. Here is a pic of some diluted Air Corp in a Konrad. It's more green in real life.

View attachment 321562

Ahh, the flex nib! I have SO wanted to be able to add more character to my lettering! But reviews have been so mixed, and being new (having no experience tinkering with nibs, etc) I have been hesitant to order one of Nathan's pens. I love that shot of what your Konrad can do, though! Maybe someday a Konrad or Ahab will be in my cart!

There is actually no green in Air Corp B-B. Nathan has said this, and you can demonstrate it for yourself by putting a drop on a wet paper towel. Be that as it may, it's one classy ink. Enjoy!

I'm sure that is true. I suppose when you think blue-black you'd expect more of a navy or midnight color. Either way, the swabs on Goulet's site are accurate (and beautiful!).

And so it begins...:biggrin1:

You may want to contact your credit card company and see if they can raise your limit.

Let's sure hope it doesn't come to that! I have a $22,500 limit already! :scared: (I keep meaning to ask if they could LOWER my limit! Especially since we never use it.)

In that case, I'd like to open a line of credit with YOU! I'll send you my wishlist shortly. :lol:

Um, yeah. I wondered if I shouldn't have mentioned that. Guess that's the benefit of keeping an open line of credit for 12 years, but never really using it. I don't like to buy on credit. Debt = BAD. ('course for some it's the other way around >> BAD [or any other AD] = debt...)

Come to think of it, we may need that yet, since we're finally getting closing to adopting - maybe this year!

Top Bottom