What's new

Are there any history buffs on B&B

Apparently, this question has already been discussed.
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=169280

Hitler's famous toothbrush moustache was popular among veterans of the First World War. They were required to shave their bushy, Prussian style moustaches to ensure a good fit of their gas masks.

proxy.php

The OP here is the OP on that thread.

It probably makes an interesting conversation piece.

"Oh, I see you're admiring my 1939 Tech. Hitler used one of those, don't cha know."
:biggrin1:

I can certainly understand wanting to know history and desiring to learn from it..... but I don't understand what one could possibly learn by knowing what aftershave or razor Hitler used.

It may be perfectly innocent idle curiousity, but there is something about it that doesn't feel right. Just my opinion.

Hitler might not have had much interest with Aftershave but his friend Mr Goring certainly had.In James Hollands book The Battle of Britain he describes Mr Goring as leading a very lavish lifestyle including having his own personal train named Asia.On this train Mr Goring was said to have works of Art,a personal bathtub,a personal Barbershop which included hand mirrors,compacts,powder puffs,sun lamps,cologne and perfume automizers.A very dandy chap indeed.Holland doesn't describe the type of Colognes Goring had preferance for, but I'm sure if you do some homework on the issue it would be possible to find out.Not one for me i have to say.

I can certainly understand wanting to know history and desiring to learn from it..... but I don't understand what one could possibly learn by knowing what aftershave or razor Hitler used.

Knowledge is power, no matter how trivial it may seem. I like to know all kinds of weird and obscure things.

There is a lot of misinformation about Hitler and we will probably never know the minute details of his life. For instance, he was purported to be a vegetarian, but there was a woman chef I saw quoted who said his favorite meal was squab (pigeon I think it is).

Plus Hitler's history was "managed" by his own propaganda network and then worked over by the allies' propaganda network. You name it and I've pretty much heard it about Hitler.

Did the OP (or anyone) say he did? Look....sometimes, as a historian, for the benefit of KNOWLEDGE you have to delve into the lives and motivations of unpleasant men and unpleasant events. Regardless of the heinous things he did, Hitler was one of the defining characters of the 20th century, and as such, warranted study. There have been countless character studies on him. Character studies done by people who delved into his life to glean the smallest details, to paint a picture of how and why he became who he did. This involves looking at every aspect of his life, no matter how trivial.

This is a shaving forum. The OP asked an innocent, shaving-related question, the first part of which has been answered. The second question, asking which AS's were popular in early 20th century Germany, should be no different than discussing WW2-era Slants, Japanese razors, or Soviet-era aftershaves and Tech razor copies.

Excellent reply and very true.

There is an interesting discussion here:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewto...sid=2703f0430a2646f6e61246e2358ba2fe&start=15

Note the photo of AH's purported personal shaving kit. Not too different, I fear, from what many of us use:
The top-plate is engraved "Made in England."

While its not inconcievable that Der Fuerher would use an English made razor of American design, I'd put more research into the monogram on the case. While those letters can be made out as "AH," its meaningless unless other artificacts with the same monogram can be definitely connected with Hitler.

Top Bottom