What's new

Are there any good blades without goo on them?

I currently use Feathers, but the sticky goo on the blades bothers me. Ideally, I would like to find something without this goo. Is there a good alternative?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Could give Personna Labs or Meds a try. They aren't as smooth as Feather to me, but far from a bad blade and are packaged cleanly with no adhesive.

Personna med preps have rapidly moved to the top for me. Feathers and Polsilvers are sitting around my den waiting for a turn but I'm lovin the meds. Sharp, smooth, and no goo spots on the meds either!!! It's a win win for me!

Gillette 7 O'Clock Blacks have minimal wax.

I have those, but I find that with anything more than a day's stubble, there's a lot of tugging.

The Feathers are amazing in that respect. Even with 5 days of growth, it just slices through effortlessly.

as Vlamgat i also would like to mention kai blades. they are in my opinion a smoother and longer lasting version of feather and void of goo and even void of printing on them.

Why does it bother you? It's only a little bit of wax and doesn't affect anything.

I have had many sleepless nights because of blade wax. I hate it. it's messy. it gets in the way. it's ugly. it's, it's, it's.... actually, apart from it being a little unsightly it's no big deal afterall.

welcome all to the minutiae that is wetshaving!!!

Won't the goo transfer to the razor?

It can build up after time. To me, it's more of an issue on three-piece razors than TTO's. The wax spots always make the blade stick to either the top cap or baseplate of my NEW. It's a little annoying, but most of my favorite blades have the spots, so what are ya gonna do?

Why does it bother you? It's only a little bit of wax and doesn't affect anything.

For me it's not a deal breaker but it is annoying. I found when I cleaned the razor that the wax would adhere to the razor and smear when trying to clean it making cleaning more difficult than it should be.

Put the wax spots down towards the baseplate and then wipe the baseplate off when you change the blade? :D

The Feathers seem to have goo on both sides.

BTW, what is the purpose of the goo? Is it to keep the blade from moving around in the wrapper to ensure the edges are not affected by any movement?

Top Bottom