What's new

Are 3-piece safety razors easier to break if they fall than 2-piece razors?

Hello. I'm planning to buy my first "good" DE safety razor (well i have a Wilkinson Classic, plastic) and because my economical situation doesn't allow me to buy easily a second if the first is destroyed I'm thinking of durability in case of the razor falling down. I see that the 3-piece razors have a "weak" point that can break easily if they fall. The 2-piece razors , on the other hand, are hollow inside but don't have this weak point (i mean the threading point that screws with the head).
Does anyone have experience on razors of these two types falling and breaking? Is there one that is "tougher" than the other?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I would think a 2 piece would be less sturdy and reliable than a 3 piece due to the simplicity of the latter. You could pick up a vintage 3 piece Gillette Tech, an excellent razor, for little money on the Bay. It may be already 70+ years old and will likely outlive us both. Even damaged, such a Tech would have to be in pretty bad shape to be totally unusable.👍

Welcome to B&B.
Hello. I'm planning to buy my first "good" DE safety razor (well i have a Wilkinson Classic, plastic) and because my economical situation doesn't allow me to buy easily a second if the first is destroyed I'm thinking of durability in case of the razor falling down. I see that the 3-piece razors have a "weak" point that can break easily if they fall.
You are quite correct in saying the three razors are more vulnerable. A fall puts a lot of strain on the threaded bolt to the cap. With two piece razors the base plate is crimped to the handle so a fall generally would rely on the crimped joint, which is quite sturdy, rather than the cap bolt. This is more a problem for zinc alloy razors of the modern era.
The Merkur 34C is a two piece razor and ideal for what you have in mind.
There is also the all brass three piece razors like the Fatip {available in open comb or safety bar} which are sturdier and should survive falls better; teeth can get damaged in a fall on open combs though.
Depending on your budget you could consider some of the cheaper stainless steel offerings in three piece razors which are robust.
If you don't mind second hand, there are many brass razors available, especially in the north America region if you reside in that area.

Welcome to B&B.

You are quite correct in saying the three razors are more vulnerable. A fall puts a lot of strain on the threaded bolt to the cap. With two piece razors the base plate is crimped to the handle so a fall generally would rely on the crimped joint, which is quite sturdy, rather than the cap bolt. This is more a problem for zinc alloy razors of the modern era.
The Merkur 34C is a two piece razor and ideal for what you have in mind.
There is also the all brass three piece razors like the Fatip {available in open comb or safety bar} which are sturdier and should survive falls better; teeth can get damaged in a fall on open combs though.
Depending on your budget you could consider some of the cheaper stainless steel offerings in three piece razors which are robust.
If you don't mind second hand, there are many brass razors available, especially in the north America region if you reside in that area.
If our friend is planning on dropping his razor a Zamak Merkur would be the last thing I'd recommend. Plating is not particularly good quality and if they don't break upon drop there's a good chance they'll chip and slowly self destruct.

A vintage brass Tech or a new $22 brass Fatip is much better investment for the slippery fingered.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Depends on the razor and depends on the fall, and really impossible to generalize. In general, durability goes from titanium, to stainless, to brass, to aluminum to Zamak, with variations. OC razors may be more delicate because of the combs, but it depends on where the razor lands and from what height. And the surface, and angle, it hits. A heavy razor is more sturdy, but also falls faster. A light aluminum razor doesn't fall as fast, but is a lot softer that anything else. A diagonal landing, on the corner comb, on a tile floor, from 5 feet up, is likely to bend a titanium comb (would be interesting, but expensive, to try the experiment). A solid threaded 3-piece of SS is likely to suffer less damage from a fall than a crimped 2-piece with a Zamak head. A heavy 2-piece SS with a safety bar is likely to suffer less damage than a threaded 3-piece Zamak. A brass Gillette TTO adjustable might suffer alignment issues, but no visible damage. So, it depends, but a DE razor is generally pretty tough, so a slippery fumble into the sink, or even a drop off the counter, might not result in much to worry about.

I had a edwin jagger de89 (3 piece design) that fell and the threaded post broke on impact wifh the floor. The problem was that the post was screwed into the handle at he time so it left a portion screwed into the handle broken off thus making the handle useless as well. The de89 is apparently known to have this weakness which I would attribute to it being made of chromed zamak alloy.

I wholly support the idea suggested above of considering a 3 piece Fatip eith the Gentile closed comb plate which is made wholly of plated brass and will be a lot tougher and hardier.

3 piece razors if made from stainless or brass are IMO and experience pretty break resistant. I've dropped both a 60 year old ball end tech and a Rockwell 6s with zero damage to either.
The obvious exceptions are the Old Type and New Improved. Gillette went through almost three decades of user complaints related to damaged corners on these raxors related to drops,wherein even unnoticed damage could distort blades and ruin the shave. Techs indeed are virtually indestructible.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice!
It comes out that I shouldn't worry so much about the "shape" of the razor but more about the material. Everyone agrees that brass is a cheap and endurable solution. I had no idea about the materials and you opened my eyes. But since i don't intend to buy (for now) a used/vintage/ebay razor, as I am new and can easily buy crap (also have only few options as I live in Greece), I'll have it on the back of my mind for future buys. I don't want necessarily a brass or cheap razor, but more advice that would help me about which razor would be more endurable between 3 or 4 candidates, and you helped me a lot. Also i don't want a razor that could possibly be too mild. Too aggressive wouldn't be such a problem for me. So i prefer to stay to more famous and "reviewed" brands whose aggressiveness is more well known and described, to avoid surprises.
A couple of days ago i had decided to buy the Muhle R89 but i show that the Twist version, which seems more probable to survive a fall, costs only 14 euros more.🤔
And does anyone have any experience on a broken Muhle? Does the thread break leaving a piece inside the handle for ever or it breaks at a point where you cant remove the broken piece from the handle and buy just a new head? This would be a very important information to know because in the latter case i could just have to spend 20 euros in case of breaking thread.

Depends on the razor and depends on the fall, and really impossible to generalize. In general, durability goes from titanium, to stainless, to brass, to aluminum to Zamak, with variations. OC razors may be more delicate because of the combs, but it depends on where the razor lands and from what height. And the surface, and angle, it hits. A heavy razor is more sturdy, but also falls faster. A light aluminum razor doesn't fall as fast, but is a lot softer that anything else. A diagonal landing, on the corner comb, on a tile floor, from 5 feet up, is likely to bend a titanium comb (would be interesting, but expensive, to try the experiment). A solid threaded 3-piece of SS is likely to suffer less damage from a fall than a crimped 2-piece with a Zamak head. A heavy 2-piece SS with a safety bar is likely to suffer less damage than a threaded 3-piece Zamak. A brass Gillette TTO adjustable might suffer alignment issues, but no visible damage. So, it depends, but a DE razor is generally pretty tough, so a slippery fumble into the sink, or even a drop off the counter, might not result in much to worry about.

+1! Good analysis!! :clap: :clap:

Given your requirements, I suggest looking at the FaTip options.

...And does anyone have any experience on a broken Muhle? Does the thread break leaving a piece inside the handle for ever or it breaks at a point where you cant remove the broken piece from the handle and buy just a new head? This would be a very important information to know because in the latter case i could just have to spend 20 euros in case of breaking thread.
When the broken cap bolt remains in the handle it can usually be removed enabling the handle to be re-used; you would just need a new cap.

R

romsitsa

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice!
It comes out that I shouldn't worry so much about the "shape" of the razor but more about the material. Everyone agrees that brass is a cheap and endurable solution. I had no idea about the materials and you opened my eyes. But since i don't intend to buy (for now) a used/vintage/ebay razor, as I am new and can easily buy crap (also have only few options as I live in Greece), I'll have it on the back of my mind for future buys. I don't want necessarily a brass or cheap razor, but more advice that would help me about which razor would be more endurable between 3 or 4 candidates, and you helped me a lot. Also i don't want a razor that could possibly be too mild. Too aggressive wouldn't be such a problem for me. So i prefer to stay to more famous and "reviewed" brands whose aggressiveness is more well known and described, to avoid surprises.
A couple of days ago i had decided to buy the Muhle R89 but i show that the Twist version, which seems more probable to survive a fall, costs only 14 euros more.🤔
And does anyone have any experience on a broken Muhle? Does the thread break leaving a piece inside the handle for ever or it breaks at a point where you cant remove the broken piece from the handle and buy just a new head? This would be a very important information to know because in the latter case i could just have to spend 20 euros in case of breaking thread.

If the screw is brass it will separate from the cap, if it’s zamak, it will most likely snap at the end of the handle. If you can’t remove it, drill a hole into it and screw it out with the drill bit.

Adam

For durability, simplicity of design is a virtue. You probably want to avoid zamak construction. Zamak is somewhat brittle and can corrode if the plating is chipped. I'd suggest all-brass. A Fatip Piccolo, for example, costs $20 here and shaves very well. If something bad happens to it, it is not a huge hardship to replace it and then you would have some spare parts.

Please tell me something i don't understand. We have the following two razors:
1. Fatip Double Edge Safety Razor Open Comb Chrome Piccolo
2. Fatip Double Edge Safety Razor Open Comb Gold Piccolo
Are they both 100% brass? Only the finish differs?

Please tell me something i don't understand. We have the following two razors:
1. Fatip Double Edge Safety Razor Open Comb Chrome Piccolo
2. Fatip Double Edge Safety Razor Open Comb Gold Piccolo
Are they both 100% brass? Only the finish differs?
Correct. There are several finishes: nickel, chrome, gold, black. I'd avoid the black, that finish does not hold up well. Nickel and chrome have been durable in my experience.

If you think the Piccolo handle is too short, there is the Grande. It is the same razor head, but has a slightly longer, thicker, hollow handle. Personally, I like the Piccolo a bit more. It is well-balanced and has a nice weight to it.

I just canceled the order. I show in some video that the new version of this open comb model has become significantly less aggressive and i don't like lottery as i don't know which version of the two will i receive. Also having to align every time the blade isn't very intriguing :)
So i'm gonna order the Muhle R89 and be more careful when i'll shave to avoid any falls :)

I just canceled the order. I show in some video that the new version of this open comb model has become significantly less aggressive and i don't like lottery as i don't know which version of the two will i receive. Also having to align every time the blade isn't very intriguing :)
So i'm gonna order the Muhle R89 and be more careful when i'll shave to avoid any falls :)
You would get the new, milder version. The older versions were sold years ago.

The alignment is not an issue, either, just load the razor upside down, the blade lands in the right place that way. People exaggerate the "alignment issues" and repeat the stories even without any actual first-hand experience.

Don't let FUD (Fear, Uncertainty & Doubt) influence you.

You would get the new, milder version. The older versions were sold years ago.

The alignment is not an issue, either, just load the razor upside down, the blade lands in the right place that way. People exaggerate the "alignment issues" and repeat the stories even without any actual first-hand experience.

Don't let FUD (Fear, Uncertainty & Doubt) influence you.
Yes, the alignment issue is not experienced by everyone that reviewed this razor, and i don't take as granted everything i read/see in the internet. But i wanted to point it out. Because if it happened, for a such simple and without moving parts thing like a safety razor, it would be a really big flow!

Top Bottom