What's new

AR 15 couple questions

There are plenty of AR-15 components that are made overseas that are then assembled here by American manufacturers.

Ah, gotcha. I thought Norinco had gotten into the ring or something :) Though now that I think about it Sig and FN make AR-15 style rifles but I think they are made in the US.

I personally like buying good condition used guns, much like cars the $$ drops significantly once they get used. Also if the wife gives me grief I simply teller her in my best defensive voice "look, it's used, if you want I can spend a lot more on a new one if that's what you want.............."

I'm also looking and have read good things about the PSA rifles. Also looking at Colt, Spike's Tactical, and S&W at the moment. At the end of the day, I think it is tough to buy a truly garbage rifle unless you really buy a no-name.

One of my concerns with PSA is the lack of an explicit warranty. I forget the exactly language, but it is vague as to what it actually covers and for how long. The other three I listed offer lifetime warranties, and while I don't know the history of Spikes, Colt and S&W aren't going anywhere. Yes I know Colt declared bankruptcy recently, but they'll be fine.

I kinda disagree with it being hard to buy a garbage ar. Plenty of them are being sold by "reputable" manufacturers under the guise of milspec while being completely outside milspec or milstd.

Even the most basic things like proper staking, metals used, and part testing are being discarded to lower cost. IMO cost should never outweigh a safe and reliable firearm.

I guess the term garbage can also be different from person to person.

Last edited:
Is Walmart still stocking Colt? Have seen some windham's as of late, but haven't seen a colt in some time now.
Wal*Mart appears to be getting out of the AR business entirely. Prices have dropped so far that there's little profit to be had. Here in our local stores, all of the tacticool stuff is on the clearance rack.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Wal*Mart appears to be getting out of the AR business entirely. Prices have dropped so far that there's little profit to be had. Here in our local stores, all of the tacticool stuff is on the clearance rack.

Yeah, I just picked up a couple pair each of SOG tactical pants and shirts for $13.00 a pop. :)

**skims**

Hi, I built my AR from Palmetto parts online and a stripped lower I got from my local gun shop. I put it together in an afternoon with a screwdriver, a Gerber multitool, and a hammer. You might want to have a more sophisticated toolset than that. I am *very comfortable* with military M16/M4s but bet that yoy can do it with YouTube and patience.

Palmetto is a very good company, the barrels on their premium and standard lines are made by FN USA, the same guys that are currently making M4 barrels for the mil. Their Freedom and PTAC lines dont have FN barrels and are cheaper. The PTAC line had some teething problems, but they're generally ok now, and Freedom seems to get good reviews.

They actually have a big part of the responsibility for the low AR prices right now, IMO. They've been willing to put on some very nice sales to get product moving and have sold good guns for much cheaper than their competition, who had to lower prices to keep competitive. I've got 2 of their premium guns and am very happy. They've also started up a inexpensive AR-10 line, and a 9mm AR.

That said, if you've got one of those cheap Colts or Windhams at your local wallywold, buy it. I'd think those are selling either at cost, or maybe even below cost.

Palmetto is a very good company, the barrels on their premium and standard lines are made by FN USA, the same guys that are currently making M4 barrels for the mil. Their Freedom and PTAC lines dont have FN barrels and are cheaper. The PTAC line had some teething problems, but they're generally ok now, and Freedom seems to get good reviews...

This.

Read the details carefully on the upper or rifle and be sure you are getting what you want to get. The FN barrels are worth it but the upper was about $30 more than the baseline if I remember right (a pittance, considering what you are getting).

I've got the Windham SRC in 5.56/223. The fit and finish is excellent. I bought this one as my first AR back in the last shortage - paid almost double of what you can get them for now. It is a great gun as your first or only AR.

I did get into building rifles last year. On the first, I bought a complete upper and built the lower. Very interesting, but didn't take long enough.

Then, I built a full rifle for a charity auction. That was fun, but could have been better with just a couple of specialized tools that I now own. I get to build another full rifle for a friend, as soon as I get some time.

I was glad to get to spend some time with a factory built one first. I learned a lot just shooting and cleaning it.

it can awfully get expensive to get the equipment needed to build an ar from mere parts.

That is true as it is with ANYTHING. If you're putting together something of your own, odds are you'll make sure ALL of the parts are a bit better quality than a budget AR overall (the budget AR will have a few solid components and a bunch that are just average or below average).

It depends on your budget and the choices you make. If you want to save money building, you certainly can. You just have to make a conscious effort to do so.

I have a couple of the older Colt Match HBar models, then several that I "built" using Rock River lower (because that was what I could get locally at a reasonable price) with varying uppers and premium barrels, triggers ect. Most if my home build jobs were for the 6.5 Grendle caliber.

I agree about picking up a Colt while they are at all time low prices. I bought an M4 with Magpul furniture from grabagun for $825. Should have bought 2 as the next scare, they can double if not triple in price! Yes, there may be "better" ARs and you could build one, but with a Colt, there is (usually) no guessing if it's in spec.

$coltm4b.jpg

Top Bottom