What's new

AoS $40 Kit Brush Really That Bad?

Hey I've been reading on the threads that AoS brush that comes with the $40 kit is garbage and will only last for two weeks. I find that it does the job, doesn't shed and lathers creams really well. I have been using this brush for almost 4 months now. Is there something I'm missing? Granted this is my second brush and my first was a boar bristle brush so I might be ignorant on the intricacies of different brushes but I think the AoS brush performs pretty decently.

I would just like to know more in depth of why I might need to get a better brush...

To say that it is complete garbage is definitely an exaggeration, however there are brushes that are much better. What you get with a top quality brush is soft fur that retains heat and water, and requires much less work to build a more luxurious lather.

Boar brushes aren't nearly so bad as one might think from reading the posts, but undoubtedly a fine grade of badger hair is not only more pleasurable, but also functionally better.

I don't know about the quality of an AOS boar brush specifically, but I do know that I wouldn't pay $40 for one with all the other options available.

I don't know about the quality of an AOS boar brush specifically, but I do know that I wouldn't pay $40 for one with all the other options available.

I wouldn't either, I get it on sale for like $20, seemed like a decent price for a brush and a couple of samples. Also, it wasn't an AOS boar brush, I believe it was a Vulfix.

I got mine for $10 from Costco and I wish I had bought the C&E Best insted... though I haven't used the C&E Best so if I had my opinion may be better.

Anyways, the quality of the AoS Brush is pretty low and it losses hairs pretty steadily. Still it beats a boar hair at $10...

the AOs starter kit was my intro into wetshaving.
the brush is fine as part of the kit, I wouldn't pay much for one by itself.
works fine for creams, it was harder to use w/ soaps

I started out with the AOS kit this year as a Christmas gift. I only received the smaller kit that has travel sized products. I have since used the products that it came with and have obtained different stuff to try. I liked the products. I also got a different brush to try. I am still new so the AOS brush that came with the kit doesnt seem that bad. I do believe a kit is a nice way to get started since most of us new guys have no idea what we would need.

I think the AOS "starter-kit" brush will work fine as an introductory brush. I picked up a AOS kit mainly to try the shaving products. I already had a decent brush but went ahead and tried the AOS brush just to see. By comparsion to the brush I already had it was pretty poor -- it was too flexible, not very dense knot and splayed to much when any pressure was used in applying the lather.

Had it been the first brush I tried it probably would not have seemed bad (compared with no brush and goo from a can).

It is a good way to try out the shaving brush option to see if you like it. If you do, in time you will probably want to try other brushes. SBAD just can't be resisted you know. :biggrin:

The AOS starter kit brush seems fine if you have used nothing else, or a boar bristle before it.

You will ruin the AOS brush for yourself though if you are foolish enough to acquire a lathe-turned, silvertip like a Simpsons or any other of the premier brands mentioned on this site.

I was happy with my AOS starter until I wound up with a Simpsons PJ3. When I initially switched up, I didn't think the Simpsons was a huge improvement, though I did appreciate holding a lathe-turned handle that didn't have the annoying plastic seam of the AOS...A month later, however, I tried going back to AOS from the PJ3. The AOS felt like I was pressing a clump of dried leaves dipped in wet mud, or something worse, to my face. Without my realizing it, my skin had become a brush connoisseur. It knows the difference.

For some reason, AOS strikes me as a kind of scam anyway. Maybe it's just the pretentious "Art of Shaving" name slapped on high-priced goods made in China, where even their most expensive brushes are made, according to the sales person I spoke to at their Century City, CA store.

To me, AOS=***, but that's only after my skin was ruined by a good brush.

However, I can't tell my wife this. She bought me the AOS brush, and periodically I have to pick it up and pretend to use it, while smiling and exclaiming how wonderful it is. Pathetic, but it helps keep the marriage reasonably functional.

T

The AOS starter kit brush seems fine if you have used nothing else, or a boar bristle before it.

You will ruin the AOS brush for yourself though if you are foolish enough to acquire a lathe-turned, silvertip like a Simpsons or any other of the premier brands mentioned on this site.

I was happy with my AOS starter until I wound up with a Simpsons PJ3. When I initially switched up, I didn't think the Simpsons was a huge improvement, though I did appreciate holding a lathe-turned handle that didn't have the annoying plastic seam of the AOS...A month later, however, I tried going back to AOS from the PJ3. The AOS felt like I was pressing a clump of dried leaves dipped in wet mud, or something worse, to my face. Without my realizing it, my skin had become a brush connoisseur. It knows the difference.

For some reason, AOS strikes me as a kind of scam anyway. Maybe it's just the pretentious "Art of Shaving" name slapped on high-priced goods made in China, where even their most expensive brushes are made, according to the sales person I spoke to at their Century City, CA store.

To me, AOS=***, but that's only after my skin was ruined by a good brush.

However, I can't tell my wife this. She bought me the AOS brush, and periodically I have to pick it up and pretend to use it, while smiling and exclaiming how wonderful it is. Pathetic, but it helps keep the marriage reasonably functional.

T

There would be nothing I would like more than to purchase a nice silvertip brush but unfortunately I am on a limited budget (for shaving) and even purchasing a the C&E BBB requires me to think about it. Judging by the posts however I may go to C&E and make the jump.

My girlfriend also gets on my case regarding buying shaving supplies. I pretty much have to keep my purchasing to a minimum or else I start hearing her talk about how many creams I have (I only have 2 by the way).

There would be nothing I would like more than to purchase a nice silvertip brush but unfortunately I am on a limited budget (for shaving) and even purchasing a the C&E BBB requires me to think about it. Judging by the posts however I may go to C&E and make the jump.

My girlfriend also gets on my case regarding buying shaving supplies. I pretty much have to keep my purchasing to a minimum or else I start hearing her talk about how many creams I have (I only have 2 by the way).

Roger all of that. Keep in mind, people on this site, myself included, all go a little nuts talking about how incredible one piece of gear is over another. In the end, compared to standard shaving you get an awesome experience from the cheapest brush, soaps/creams and shavers...and even the AOS brush I mocked is several steps above many others.

Though for future reference, you might want to keep your eyes open for how much your girlfriend spends on face creams, hair products, her trips to the hair stylist, pedicures, etc. I'm fairly certain the most profligate DE shaver spends a mere fraction on this vice compared what the average woman blows her routine grooming needs.

So I finally decided to purchase the Best Badger at C&E in Costa Mesa, CA and to my surprise, my girlfriend was especially generous and actually purchased for me the Large Super Badger brush as an early Valetine's Day gift. I was extremely grateful.

My new brush blows my AoS brush out of the water. It is so much softer to the touch and is a dream when applying lather to my face. I can now see why many see the AoS kit brush as inferior to other offerings.

I will probably still use my AoS kit brush from time to time, but probably not anytime soon as I'm still learning with my new one.

There are some strange and inaccurate posts on this thread. For starters, the box on the AOS starter kit clearly says that it was made in the USA, not China. Secondly, comparing the $40 AOS brush (which is pure badger) to the $95 C&E super badger is simply ridiculous. The performance of a super badger brush is vastly different than a pure badger -- it's apples and oranges. Super badger is softer and more luxurious feeling, whereas pure badger is stiffer and "scratchier". The AOS brush is not the greatest brush in the world, but I think it is on par with the C&E pure badger that sells for $35.

I started wet shaving with an Omega 6214 silvertip, and just recently had a shave with the AOS starter kit brush, and actually enjoyed it. Is it as soft as my 6214? Not even close. But I used it with soap and it made an outstanding lather, and it has more "bite", so I felt like I was getting more exfoliation and setting the whiskers up better. Honestly, whereas the AOS brush probably won't be my brush for life, it is making me rethink my decision to go with a silvertip right out of the gate.

P.S. I got mine at Costco for only $5 -- I don't care if it's rat hair, that's a bargain! :biggrin:

Bought several of these for Christmas presents (Travel kits). Introduced the other men (all older than moi) to wet shaving and overall was a good buy at $25 bucks a pop. Kept one for myself and have already used it twice on business trips. The fact that I don't have worry if I forgot my good brush in the hotel, was worth every penny.

For that price (plus all the goodies) the brush is worth $10 bucks. You get what you paid for...

Top Bottom