What's new

Anyone used this before: KAI RAZOR CUT-THROAT STRAIGHT EDGE RAZOR

kai.JPG

I bought these many years ago... and found them lying in my cupboard. THinking of using them for face shave...and also the blade guard what is i it for? i believe with it put on , it can only shave on one side

That is definitely what is called a "hair shaper". My wife used to use one for 40 years to cut my hair. I go to a barber now as my wife has difficulty doing it due to arthritis.

The blades may or may not be suitable for shaving depending upon your beard and face. If you use if for shaving, leave off the blade guard.

That is definitely what is called a "hair shaper". My wife used to use one for 40 years to cut my hair. I go to a barber now as my wife has difficulty doing it due to arthritis.

The blades may or may not be suitable for shaving depending upon your beard and face. If you use if for shaving, leave off the blade guard.
well i need to try it out after by facial hair grows . In a few days time..

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Just a note, if you want to use the guard, check the direction of the teeth. 99% of the time they are bent towards the blade and just won't allow you to really shave with it, but if you have a vise or some long nose pliers, you can bend/straighten the teeth and then the guard will work. Best place for info on these types of razors is on either of these threads:

Shavette and Barber Razor Enthusiasts

Weck Wednesdays

Just a note, if you want to use the guard, check the direction of the teeth. 99% of the time they are bent towards the blade and just won't allow you to really shave with it, but if you have a vise or some long nose pliers, you can bend/straighten the teeth and then the guard will work. Best place for info on these types of razors is on either of these threads:

Shavette and Barber Razor Enthusiasts

Weck Wednesdays
I tried on my body hair. It does shave well with the supplied Kai blades and blade guard. I think what u mean is bend the teeth on the guard outwards? Similar to open comb teeth?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Flintstone65

I tried on my body hair. It does shave well with the supplied Kai blades and blade guard. I think what u mean is bend the teeth on the guard outwards? Similar to open comb teeth?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Sorry, yes...that is exactly what I mean. I just straightened mine (bent them so they weren't bend in towards the teeth, but they don't need to be totally outwards. Your right, they will basically function like teeth on an open comb safety razor.

Sorry, yes...that is exactly what I mean. I just straightened mine (bent them so they weren't bend in towards the teeth, but they don't need to be totally outwards. Your right, they will basically function like an open comb teeth.
i noticed they are rather straight than bent towards the blade. But bending down downwards if that u meant ?

Flintstone65

It sounds like they may be fine without an adjustment. I'd try a shave with "as is" and if you can get the blade close enough to your face to shave at the correct angle without the comb interfering then you're probably fine. With the Weck Hair Shapers (which are the only ones I'm familiar with) the comb teeth are bent so far in towards the blade edge that you can't really get the blade to make contact with your skin.

It sounds like they may be fine without an adjustment. I'd try a shave with "as is" and if you can get the blade close enough to your face to shave at the correct angle without the comb interfering then you're probably fine. With the Weck Hair Shapers (which are the only ones I'm familiar with) the comb teeth are bent so far in towards the blade edge that you can't really get the blade to make contact with your skin.

Thanks For the info. I am yet to try them. But it looks like they will accept a half DE blade too. It has an included blade holder strip. If that's the case I can't use it bare. Maybe the Kai blades are less sharp. Any comment on the Kai blades?

Flintstone65

Thanks For the info. I am yet to try them. But it looks like they will accept a half DE blade too. It has an included blade holder strip. If that's the case I can't use it bare. Maybe the Kai blades are less sharp. Any comment on the Kai blades?
No experience with the Kai blades, but it looks the same as "standard" hair shaper blades....the most popular (or at least one of the easiest to find) are the Personna's (Amazon & Ebay), and I also picked up Diane Fromm hair shaper blades from Sally's Beauty:
51Bpzq--8iL._SL1000_.jpg81i0x1Vf3XL._SL1500_.jpg
These can feel expensive if you're buying them in small quantities (1 or 2 packs), but they get cheaper if you buy in bulk. Generally speaking, the Personna blades can be a little harsh on the first shave or two (kind of like a Feather DE blade or a GEM Stainless Steel PTFE-coated blade); but they mellow out, or you can lightly strop them to tame them a bit.

No experience with the Kai blades, but it looks the same as "standard" hair shaper blades....the most popular (or at least one of the easiest to find) are the Personna's (Amazon & Ebay), and I also picked up Diane Fromm hair shaper blades from Sally's Beauty:
View attachment 1131604View attachment 1131609
These can feel expensive if you're buying them in small quantities (1 or 2 packs), but they get cheaper if you buy in bulk. Generally speaking, the Personna blades can be a little harsh on the first shave or two (kind of like a Feather DE blade or a GEM Stainless Steel PTFE-coated blade); but they mellow out, or you can lightly strop them to tame them a bit.
what is the difference between these blades vs standard DE blades?

Flintstone65

And I should mention that the extra thickness gives a better shave (IME) since you have built in rigidity, so no blade chatter.

so these blades are in fact more "harder" than standard DE blades? they dont flex or bend while shaving?

if so are there any blades of the same type for DE razors?

Flintstone65

so these blades are in fact more "harder" than standard DE blades? they dont flex or bend while shaving?

if so are there any blades of the same type for DE razors?
My really limited understanding is that DE blades are that thin because a DE razor actually bends the blade a bit when it is clamped into the razor.

i tried the shave with the kai blades....although they are decent they arent as sharp as DE. the teeth is just too long and protruding for under the nose jobs. the metal teeth seems to give a false feedback too. and also the teeth seem to scrap the skin i will try it next with a DE ( derby premium) and see how it goes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom