What's new

Anyone tried loosening handle slightly to get more blade gap? GC 68-P

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I have read about shimming, and know I can try a different base plate. But before I go down that road, has anyone tried loosening the handle slightly to increase blade gap and efficiency?
If so with what results.
I'm using a GC .68P
Not on a GC68 or any other razor in that category. The GC series of razors were never designed to be used with a loose handle, use a shim instead. Simply use a pair of scissors to cut the very edge off of a used blade, and there you go.

A Gillette Old Type, yes, you can loosen the handle. A Filament, yes, you can loosen the handle. The key here is, "Does the handle stay tight when backed off 1/4 turn?" If not, then keep it tight.

~doug~

Just get the 76p, I have the lot of them...great tools and are all in my rotation. Note I only have the 68 in OC in the 68 line-up. It just a bit more efficiency to me then the SB when I have low daily stubble.It works perfect for ' me.'...

BFX

A loose handle only works with a razor that curves the blade, creating a spring action. Either way, a shim is much better. Or a baseplate with a bigger gap is even better, of course.
The GC actually curves the blade a lot. The handle seems really secure even a 1/4 turn out

About 3 years ago, I liked the GC68-P, but it was underwhelming — I got it hoping it would be like the Rockwell R5 (0.69mm), but it felt milder.

I did shim it, and liked the result.

There was no .76 available then, so I got the GC.84P. It wasn't a hit though, too "bitey" I thought.

Time passed... the .68 still felt too mild — but a nice agile head compared with the bulky Rockwell one.

I forced myself to use the .84 more, and after some less-than-good shaves, it became docile, and now it is my favourite. ✓

YMMV will reign here, though.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I have my eye on an adjustable soon hopefully.
Hard to go wrong with a Fatboy or Slim. I have both.
20231018_080433[1].jpg

Both of these razors were gifted to me and I liked them so much I sent them out to Back Roads Gold to have them tuned up and plated.

~doug~

A helical slant should work good with a loosened handle since the blade is torqued and twisted. I did it once by accident after loosening the handle to clean it out in between passes, forgetting to retighten. I still got a good shave but not sure how much better or not.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have read about shimming, and know I can try a different base plate. But before I go down that road, has anyone tried loosening the handle slightly to increase blade gap and efficiency?
If so with what results.
I'm using a GC .68P
I would strongly suggest to try a Kai SS extra wide blade, I use them in my RR GC.84 and it gives a decent close comfortable shave. The Kai SS is wider than a standard Gillette blade specs and I use it on my milder razors that need a boost. They are pricier then most blades but they last much longer (must be metal make up) I will always have a few tucks in my shave Den for those days I want to use my milder razor I bought years ago and does not get used much.
Kai SS will just bump up the blade exposure or blade feel a little but nothing over the top + the Kai is sharp & smooth with excellent longevity.
Using a Kai SS blade is superior to shimming a standard razor blade IMO.
Kai SS VS Gillette Astra SP 2.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Shimming is an easy place to start. Using Kai blades is a good approach as well.

@Clouds has created, for his own use, locking handles that can be partially opened and then locked securely at that 'setting'. The design requires a hollow handle.

I have made and used a couple test handles using that idea. For me, it is a way to get an occasional enjoyable shave out of razors that I keep around for collector/hobbyist reasons. I don't recommend it as a regular practice. If you want details, PM me.

An adjustable or (better for me) a razor with selectable baseplates seems simpler and more precise. Owning a set of two or three razors can hit the same target.

Loosening the handle worked on a Gillette Old Type because the original blades were 0.020" thick instead of 0.004" like they are now. The spring action of the thicker blade kept it tight against the cap.

Modern thin blades vibrate badly if not clamped well, and a loose blade is going to be the result if you open the razor a little. Not thick enough to spring up against the cap tight enough to keep it from vibrating, and a vibrating blade is VERY rough. I know, I had a Slim that was dirty and the spring didn't compress all the way, resulting in the clamping force being inadequate as the handle "unscrewed" in use. Not a good thing, lots of weepers.

Use a shim, or find a blade that's a tiny bit wider.

I have found those to be Kai (as noted, not from personal experience), Israeli Red Personnas, Indian Wilkinson Swords/ and PPI Sharp-edge Yellows. Had to set my Slim or FatBoy down to 3 or less for those.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Not on a GC but on an ATT Windsor I have done so by accident. I thought for a bit I had just switched out the M plate for an R. I survived unscathed but am more attentive to tightening now.

Funny, I just tried this tonight with my EJ DE89 and the extra blade gap made it possible to knock down some stubborn patches during cleanup of my trouble spots. Totally worked for me.

Top Bottom