What's new

Anyone shaved off the Shapton purple 30,0000?

I was wondering if anyone here on the forum either owns or at least has shaved off of the Shapton purple 30,000 grit stone. I’ve been considering a purchase of the stone but it is rather expensive and would appreciate some feedback. Thanks

I have, it will certainly improve the edge from the 12K if you are using that currently. I find the edge to be sharp but also rather crisp. I maintain some of my razors with the 30K edge but if you are looking for a smoother edge I would finish on a natural stone. There is one advantage to the 30K stone, and that is it's easier to learn than most natural stones and does produce a keener edge than many of my natural finishers.

As you mentioned, it's rather expensive and the Glass 30K is worth looking at if you want to try an ultra-fine synthetic while saving some money. I also have a 30K HC and I really can't tell the difference in finish, but the HC does seem to cut a bit quicker.

Last edited:
I have, it will certainly improve the edge from the 12K if you are using that currently. I find the edge to be sharp but also rather crisp. I maintain some of my razors with the 30K edge but if you are looking for a smoother edge I would finish on a natural stone. There is one advantage to the 30K stone, and that is it's easier to learn than most natural stones and does produce a keener edge than many of my natural finishers.

As you mentioned, it's rather expensive and the Glass 30K is worth looking at if you want to try an ultra-fine synthetic while saving some money. I also have a 30K HC and I really can't tell the difference in finish, but the HC does seem to cut a bit quicker.
I guess there’s also the 0.44 Glass Stone 7 to consider as well. Just not sure how much difference there is between that and the purple but it’s only 1/3rd of the cost at least…

In Shapton I don't know the 30K purple or HR version but I use the seven 0.44µm version for a slight edge refresh. I'm very happy with it. I use it like balsa and paste, with strop movement

I only have the 0.44 G7. It is a different type of sharp then I like most of the time.
If I use it, I max out my edge at around 12k. Then I only do 3-5 passes on the 30k, and test shave the razor. If required, I then do another 3-5 passes.
You are balancing on a narrow window of opportunity here.
These stones can cut fast, but I have not found it worth while to use them as anything other then a pure finisher.

Having a full sized stone is in my opinion quite a luxury, if you have other high grit stones that can set you up nicely 😉
My preferred high grit synthetic stone is the 0.85 micron G7.

I just checked it's actually the HR, not HC I have, but the difference seems to be only in the cutting power. The HC is the high carbon steel version and the HR is the high resistance version for harder steel, mostly stainless steel tools and knives. The micron values and finish seem to be the same for both HC and HR stones.

In Shapton I don't know the 30K purple or HR version but I use the seven 0.44µm version for a slight edge refresh. I'm very happy with it. I use it like balsa and paste, with strop movement
I have been wondering if i should try something similar. Use my g7 0.44 with edge trailing strokes every X shave. How many strokes do you use, and how many shaves do you do before you go to the stone again?

I have not, but I have shaved off of the Shapton Glass 30000. It did OK, but was not nearly as good a shaving edge as the Suehiro Gokumyo 20K produces.

The Suehiro has a large fan base among razor honers, and appears to be less expensive than the Shapton Pro 30K.

I have been wondering if i should try something similar. Use my g7 0.44 with edge trailing strokes every X shave. How many strokes do you use, and how many shaves do you do before you go to the stone again?
I have no idea how many shaves before using the stone. my skin tells me when to do it.
I do 5-10 strop passes and 3 palm strops to start. I test on my face. if not ok then I repeat.

Reactions: JPO
The purple 30k is a good stone. Price of admission is questionable considering the lower cost GS 7 .44 um and GS 30k are available.
Honestly not seeing much difference between them, not enough to remark about in a finished product sense.
They are all 'low lap count' stones for razor work. None of them are life changing. Impressive? Yes, but the world continues to spin on its axis with or without them. Each leaves a slightly different polish, not convinced this translates into anything felt when cutting though.
I found the Pro 30k to be more gentle on the steel, slower maybe.
Honestly, high grit synth finishers don't really impress me much aside from the speed factor.
I borrowed a square cut-down piece of the Purple, have owned the 30k GS & 16k GS. Both are HR, there is no HC 30k/16k. The HC series is 4k, 6k, 8k.
I kept the GS 7 .44 um & .85 um. Hardly ever use them to be honest. I get way better edges in all regards using naturals. But they work, and they can refine edges done on typical 12k stones. The investment for the Pro 30 is not worth it. Not saying buying one is a bad idea. Everyone has different needs, wants, etc.

With razors, I find the 30k thing is misleading, in a way. Seems like it should be light years finer than a 12k but it really is only a bump. The 16k GS is very similar to the 12k Nani but does not leave quite as smooth an edge for me.
Honing heavier blades - chisels, knives, etc - different story. You can really make a chisel scream off one of those stones. I don't need that kind of thing but yeah, a well done Kanna off the Purple 30k is pretty intense. A skilled technician can improve that edge on Jnats. But then one needs the skills to be able to use that edge correctly. And around and around we go....
I don't think anyone would be able to prove, in an objective sense, which is better, the Pro or the GS 30k...I think a lot of hot air would be generated when either one is going to do, basically, the same thing.
Some say the Gok 20 is a better stone; I think maybe easier to use, similar performance.
Some say the GS 30k chips blades - meh, learn how to hone and edges won't chip.

Hone on all of the above for a while, lotsa edges - they all seem to basically do the same thing the same way and the edges are all so very similar. One edge to another might seem different, but after experiencing a large sample size things even out.

The purple 30k is a good stone. Price of admission is questionable considering the lower cost GS 7 .44 um and GS 30k are available.
Honestly not seeing much difference between them, not enough to remark about in a finished product sense.
They are all 'low lap count' stones for razor work. None of them are life changing. Impressive? Yes, but the world continues to spin on its axis with or without them. Each leaves a slightly different polish, not convinced this translates into anything felt when cutting though.
I found the Pro 30k to be more gentle on the steel, slower maybe.
Honestly, high grit synth finishers don't really impress me much aside from the speed factor.
I borrowed a square cut-down piece of the Purple, have owned the 30k GS & 16k GS. Both are HR, there is no HC 30k/16k. The HC series is 4k, 6k, 8k.
I kept the GS 7 .44 um & .85 um. Hardly ever use them to be honest. I get way better edges in all regards using naturals. But they work, and they can refine edges done on typical 12k stones. The investment for the Pro 30 is not worth it. Not saying buying one is a bad idea. Everyone has different needs, wants, etc.

With razors, I find the 30k thing is misleading, in a way. Seems like it should be light years finer than a 12k but it really is only a bump. The 16k GS is very similar to the 12k Nani but does not leave quite as smooth an edge for me.
Honing heavier blades - chisels, knives, etc - different story. You can really make a chisel scream off one of those stones. I don't need that kind of thing but yeah, a well done Kanna off the Purple 30k is pretty intense. A skilled technician can improve that edge on Jnats. But then one needs the skills to be able to use that edge correctly. And around and around we go....
I don't think anyone would be able to prove, in an objective sense, which is better, the Pro or the GS 30k...I think a lot of hot air would be generated when either one is going to do, basically, the same thing.
Some say the Gok 20 is a better stone; I think maybe easier to use, similar performance.
Some say the GS 30k chips blades - meh, learn how to hone and edges won't chip.

Hone on all of the above for a while, lotsa edges - they all seem to basically do the same thing the same way and the edges are all so very similar. One edge to another might seem different, but after experiencing a large sample size things even out.
I agree that I get way better edges on all blades when I finish on naturals. Different stone finishes assist on different jobs and once I really got to know the stones I have I can put combinations of stones together that blow my synth progressions out of the water on their performance. To be fair I've got cheap no name synth stones but they eat steel, very quickly and they'll get sharp.

Top Bottom