What's new

Anyone play the bagpipes?

Gents,

Thinking of taking up the bagpipes, but wouldn't mind talking to some chaps that play already to get some tips, run potential
purchases past etc.

Anyone?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I have no talent playing any instrument other than the triangle...

Drummer, not a piper, but I encourage you to pursue this art.
I was about 6 years old when my grandmother took me to a travelogue featuring the tattoo at Edinburgh. I know that I wanted to get involve some day. It took 40-45 years to do so. I got started in 1995.
If you are serious about this, Sydney has several bands, contact a few and attend practices. Most bands offer instruction.
You will need to be prepared for at least 6 months with a practice chanter before you should even attempt the pipes. It will probably take 1-2 years before you are ready to play gigs with the band or go into competition.
Typically, you can march in parades sooner.
Cheers, Mate and good luck.

I don't play the bagpipes, but have picked up several instruments over the years. My favorites are the tuba and bass clarinet. I'd like to get into a stringed instrument or two one of these days - the dulcimer and pedal steel are fascinating to me.

Anyhow, if an instrument speaks to you, go for it. Read up, get a set and start playing. You gain so much from learning any instrument. Music aside, you'll also meet a bunch of people, make new friends and have a lot of fun.

Gents,

Thinking of taking up the bagpipes, but wouldn't mind talking to some chaps that play already to get some tips, run potential
purchases past etc.

Anyone?

Why am I suddenly extra glad that you live on the other side of the world? :thumbup:

You will want to start with a practice chanter, a method book, and an instructor.
The starting cost is pretty low but after a year of practice and instruction you will need a set of pipes which will cost about two to four thousand dollars for a starter set.
As “RichGem” alluded to, the pipes are loud. They are an instrument for battle and large spaces. You will need the understanding of family, friends, and neighbors when you practice.
I started learning back in 2002 but could not afford the time to dedicate to the art. Maybe someday I will pick it up again.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Why am I suddenly extra glad that you live on the other side of the world? :thumbup:

"I understand the inventor of the bagpipes was inspired when he saw a man carrying an indignant, asthmatic pig under his arm. Unfortunately, the man-made object never equalled the purity of sound achieved by the pig." -Alfred Hitchcock

Seriously though, you either love them of hate them.

I once heard of a fellow with a tresured set of pipes who was headed to a gig. It was a hot day and he left them in his car, unlocked with the windows down when he went to grab a bite to eat. In the few minutes he was away the unthinkable happened........someone broke into the unlocked car and left three more sets of bagpipes :w00t:

I myself love the sound of them, all joking aside.

Tony

I'll send you audio clips of my practice, I know you'll be interested in my (slow) progress :)

I used to play the sax, so I'm looking forward to a
new instrament. Practice chanter here I come!

I don't play them, but love the sound. I'm trying to learn the banjo now; maybe one day I try the bagpipes.

I'll send you audio clips of my practice, I know you'll be interested in my (slow) progress :)

I used to play the sax, so I'm looking forward to a
new instrament. Practice chanter here I come!

Um... "thanks" doesn't quite capture what I'm trying to say. :lol:

You don't say which type of pipes you want to learn. I don't play myself but have tried several different types as I'm into traditional music and have several strange friends!

The Highland pipes I managed to get either the chanter going or the drones, never both together! They are LOUD.

I also have a friend who plays the uilleann pipes, the Irish elbow pipes, driven by a bellows under the elbow. Nice pipes and not as loud. Another friend is learning the Northumbrian pipes, the quietest and sweetest sounding, also bellows driven.

A fourth friend plays the English pipes professionally, in a trio playing French trad music! They have only one drone and are rather nice to play. Mouth blown and not too deafening. Also in a sensible key so he can play along with the rest of us in pub sessions.

Having tried them all, I'll stick with my melodeons and mandolin!

Good luck and enjoy yourself, even if the neighbours don't!:lol:

Gareth

Ah the pipes. I love them. However, as mentioned, the Great Highland Pipes are very loud and carry a long way. I work at university and it sits on the tallest hill in town. The marching band practices on the west end of the campus which is another hill about a half mile as the crow flies from main campus. There was a young girl a few years ago who played the GHPs and you could hear her practice on the east side of campus if the wind was right! She usually practiced in the morning when it was calm so the sound really carried. So the admonition to keep in mind the space you play in is well given.

I love the Uilleann (Il-lawn, it means "elbow") pipes used in Irish music. They are no less expensive but are smaller, gentler sounding and work in Ceili bands and other folk music where the GHPs may overwhelm. I am no musician so take this all with a grain of salt. I love all iterations of the pipes.

Regards, Todd

Oops. Sorry, didn't see Gareth's post till mine was up. I would really like to listen to the Northumbrian pipes.

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Best ever use of bagpipes.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVbb6pZLfzU[/YOUTUBE]

There is also a Spanish Bagpipe from Galicia, it has an almost weeping sound but as for pipes/bagpipes I enjoy hearing all of them especially the Great Highland Warpipe/Great Warpipe of the Highlands. Its playing was forbidden for many years after the failure of the "Rising". One of the Clans is a source of hereditary pipers for the royalty.

May your pursuit be successful but their sound does carry.

I love bagpipes. I've had a chance to see the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders and the Black Watch, and I thought that they were amazing. Many years ago, I even had a chance to march to the pipes and it was a chilling experience. I wish you well in your efforts. It must be a fantastic feeling.

You can make some good side money on burials, weddings, (well maybe they are the same thing) and other events if your good. Hard to learn from what I hear. A few guys I work with play in an Emerald Society band in North Jersey.

"I understand the inventor of the bagpipes was inspired when he saw a man carrying an indignant, asthmatic pig under his arm. Unfortunately, the man-made object never equalled the purity of sound achieved by the pig." -Alfred Hitchcock

Seriously though, you either love them of hate them.

I once heard of a fellow with a tresured set of pipes who was headed to a gig. It was a hot day and he left them in his car, unlocked with the windows down when he went to grab a bite to eat. In the few minutes he was away the unthinkable happened........someone broke into the unlocked car and left three more sets of bagpipes :w00t:

I myself love the sound of them, all joking aside.

Tony

:thumbup:

I do love them myself. Get's the blood pumping!:thumbup1:

Top Bottom