What's new

Anyone fool with 80% AR lower receivers?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Am really curious, too, about how well it went. Especially if it was done with other than machining tools.
I've not done one, but it is usually done with a special jig, a router and either a hand drill or drill press. I don't think it could be done without power tools.

I've not done one, but it is usually done with a special jig, a router and either a hand drill or drill press. I don't think it could be done without power tools.

Those are the tools I meant; tools other than a milling machine. On a whim, looked at Harbor Freight and their cheapest vertical milling machine ran about as much as an entry level AR-15.

Those are the tools I meant; tools other than a milling machine. On a whim, looked at Harbor Freight and their cheapest vertical milling machine ran about as much as an entry level AR-15.

The 80% lower is not about saving money. Some liberal politicians are bragging about how they are going to confiscate your AR-15s and AK-47s, fining those who do not turn them in. Making your own may be the only way to avoid prosecution of law abiding citizens.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Ahem. Not me, but.

I guy I know says the James Madison Tactical ones are good.

Ah, also, the no politics thing gets warm here. We are - every one here - law-abiding citizens, who revere the Constitution, etc. Why one wants an 80% is purely personal. We ALL have GS leanings, anyways, right?

There are lots of resources on line for this patriotic project. (Unless YouTube has pulled them!)

On a related note, I heard the FCC is cracking down on the Baofeng FRS/GMRS/Ham radios; they'll be banned shortly.

AA

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
MidwayUSA sells the jig and 80% receivers. The jig is expensive, but if you do more than one, or loan it to others, will pay for itself. Again, it's not about saving money.

and yet Pakistanis with dirt floors can create complete, functioning weapons from scratch, with both power and hand tools.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

I'd definitely want a small, portable drill press. Just seems more stable then free handing it with a power tool.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
I have pondered one of these as a project and have access to a full machine shop but... There are warnings that if a lower looks too "professional" it could get your butt in a sling. I believe that a machine shop in San Diego got the hammer dropped on them by the BATF because they were renting out machine time. You brought the lower, they showed you where to load it in the fixture (program already loaded and tooling set) and which button to press and the CNC did the rest... It did not end well. I'm more interested in the P80 polymer style 80%s myself...

I have pondered one of these as a project and have access to a full machine shop but... There are warnings that if a lower looks too "professional" it could get your butt in a sling. I believe that a machine shop in San Diego got the hammer dropped on them by the BATF because they were renting out machine time. You brought the lower, they showed you where to load it in the fixture (program already loaded and tooling set) and which button to press and the CNC did the rest... It did not end well. I'm more interested in the P80 polymer style 80%s myself...

It may not be an issue of looking too professional as it is the prospect of someone manufacturing and transferring a firearm without an FFL and/or without following legal procedure for doing so. Last time I looked out of curiosity, the BATF makes it plain that if you are not legally barred from possessing a firearm or type of firearm, you may make one for your own use without violating Federal law (state law is another matter). However, you can't transfer or sell that homemade firearm. Once you do that, you're in FFL territory, and have to do things like engrave a serial number, manufacturer, place of manufacture, and other things that don't immediately come to mind. Again, state laws may require such.

Also question if it would be a good idea if someone wasn't familiar with an AR 15 or AR 10 to begin with. Not naysaying, but it's something to think about.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'd definitely want a small, portable drill press. Just seems more stable then free handing it with a power tool.

With the jig sold by MidwayUSA, it's not really "freehand" even with a hand held drill, I believe there are hardened guides, that if you use the right bit, pretty much guarantee proper alignment. Even relying on a drill press, without the proper jig can be problematic, from what I understand.

It may not be an issue of looking too professional as it is the prospect of someone manufacturing and transferring a firearm without an FFL and/or without following legal procedure for doing so. Last time I looked out of curiosity, the BATF makes it plain that if you are not legally barred from possessing a firearm or type of firearm, you may make one for your own use without violating Federal law (state law is another matter). However, you can't transfer or sell that homemade firearm. Once you do that, you're in FFL territory, and have to do things like engrave a serial number, manufacturer, place of manufacture, and other things that don't immediately come to mind. Again, state laws may require such.

Also question if it would be a good idea if someone wasn't familiar with an AR 15 or AR 10 to begin with. Not naysaying, but it's something to think about.

A point of clarification for anyone not familiar with firearms and who just happens by. Currently, the BATF regards 80% manufactured lowers for the AR15, AR10, and AR9 to be chunks of metal. It looks like some companies will offer copies of BATF letters of determination that state such about their 80% lowers. However, once it's completely machined, it is then regarded as the firearm. No upper, trigger mechanism, stock, or magazine? Doesn't matter. If you were to buy a fully manufactured lower, it would have to be transferred through someone with an FFL license.

Just saying but, would anyone who had done this, admit on a public forum that they had made one? Just in case, "Big Brother", may be listening?

Mike

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
And as long as you don’t try to sell or otherwise transfer it, you are good to go. So what if you combine it with a short barreled upper and add a stock (not arm brace)? It has no SN to register as an SBR. I assume it would not be legal to do so. But you could give it a SN, but of course that would eliminate the reason to start with an 80% lower to begin with.

And as long as you don’t try to sell or otherwise transfer it, you are good to go. So what if you combine it with a short barreled upper and add a stock (not arm brace)? It has no SN to register as an SBR. I assume it would not be legal to do so. But you could give it a SN, but of course that would eliminate the reason to start with an 80% lower to begin with.

Assuming one would be making one of these with a short barreled upper, I would hope they would be wise enough to NOT add a stock to it and only an arm brace. No sense giving the government an excuse to have you cooling your heels in a prison for 20 years for possessing a short barreled rifle without a valid permit.

Mike

Top Bottom