What's new

Anybody else into zero drop/minimalist shoes?

When I was in Iraq, I went through some issues where my arches "collapsed" and although I asked for help was largely ignored until I filed with the V.A. My ankles, knees and back are in constant pain and I'm 50% service disabled. I have tried a range of VERY EXPENSIVE orthotics, P.T., high arch shoes, etc. I was so desperate, I finally tried a zero drop shoe (Lems) couldn't believe how much it helped. I've move away from pretty much anything that isn't zero drop. One exception is my Salomon Quest 4D goretex boots.
I'm not 100% sold on the super minimalist shoes yet, I still like a little squish.
Anybody else tried this out?

I don't have any zero drop but in the spring summer and fall all that I wear are inov8 f230s. I've used their f195s and their f235s. But I think I've settled on a f230's It's a 3 mm drop. I wear those all day, everyday, at work, going out, everything unless it's formal attire, deep mud or snow, or logging, for the last 12 years. I highly recommend them. I also never buy new, I don't know if I can plug another website here. Send me a PM and I'll give you the link, but basically it's Zappos who sells their returns and their holdover stock from the previous calendar year. All of them are always about 39 to 80% off .You just need to not be picky about color

Also this b&b link showed up under similar pages. They might have better information for you.

Hey, check out Rose Anvil on the tube. He just finished, sort of, Barefoot February I think it was. I also wear inov8s, but am 90% zero drop for all my footwear. I am getting ready to buy another pair from Vivo Barefoot, have several. There are a a lot of choices finally, forgot that I had a coupon for Merrills. I completely agree on having some cushion for everyday shoes. I have a policy with heavy boots for work wear that they protect me feet from all directions, but don't push on my arch. I take out insoles if necessary and can't really get zero drop, but find that as long as I can move my foot around inside I am good.

Hey, check out Rose Anvil on the tube. He just finished, sort of, Barefoot February I think it was. I also wear inov8s, but am 90% zero drop for all my footwear. I am getting ready to buy another pair from Vivo Barefoot, have several. There are a a lot of choices finally, forgot that I had a coupon for Merrills. I completely agree on having some cushion for everyday shoes. I have a policy with heavy boots for work wear that they protect me feet from all directions, but don't push on my arch. I take out insoles if necessary and can't really get zero drop, but find that as long as I can move my foot around inside I am good.
Thanks. I follow him.

I deeply prefer them to anything else, and wear them as much as possible exclusively the last… 7-8 yrs?

I’ve had the following:

NB Minimus 10v3. Kinda overpriced for what’s there and the durability of them.

Merrill Trail glove 3. Awesome, durable, good wearing shoes. The 4 and 5s got narrower in the tow box, and thinner materials. Neither as good to me as the 3.

Merrill vapor glove 4(?). The least material/padding of any shoe I’ve ever had. Around the yard, messing with the dogs, whatever? Perfectly fine. Runing/whatever on soft surfaces? Sure. Hard pack, decent sized gravel, or concrete? Not the greatest.

And I get Merrill’s for 40-60% discounted. I’ve generally liked them for decades.

Lem’s boots. Not entirely sure how I feel about the footbed feel. And because I tend to wear 13D/48, they look like Frankenstein’s clodhoppers.

Xero Prio to try them out. Liked the first pair enough to grab a second pair while they’re still being made. They’re my go to daily walking around/whatever shoes currently.

Altra Lone Peak 4. Big cushion, and well regarded by through-hikers doing 2000 odd mile trips on US trails. I had to throw my orthotics under their insert to get enough stability to like them, mostly. Otherwise for me they’re too prone to roll side to side, and sometime fore to back instability, causing foot strain by the end of the day.

I deeply prefer them to anything else, and wear them as much as possible exclusively the last… 7-8 yrs?

I’ve had the following:

NB Minimus 10v3. Kinda overpriced for what’s there and the durability of them.

Merrill Trail glove 3. Awesome, durable, good wearing shoes. The 4 and 5s got narrower in the tow box, and thinner materials. Neither as good to me as the 3.

Merrill vapor glove 4(?). The least material/padding of any shoe I’ve ever had. Around the yard, messing with the dogs, whatever? Perfectly fine. Runing/whatever on soft surfaces? Sure. Hard pack, decent sized gravel, or concrete? Not the greatest.

And I get Merrill’s for 40-60% discounted. I’ve generally liked them for decades.

Lem’s boots. Not entirely sure how I feel about the footbed feel. And because I tend to wear 13D/48, they look like Frankenstein’s clodhoppers.

Xero Prio to try them out. Liked the first pair enough to grab a second pair while they’re still being made. They’re my go to daily walking around/whatever shoes currently.

Altra Lone Peak 4. Big cushion, and well regarded by through-hikers doing 2000 odd mile trips on US trails. I had to throw my orthotics under their insert to get enough stability to like them, mostly. Otherwise for me they’re too prone to roll side to side, and sometime fore to back instability, causing foot strain by the end of the day.
And also, Bedrock Sandals. I’ve never liked flip flops/thongs outside of a communal shower/locker room. Get these adjusted to your foot and they’re not going anywhere, even at a full sprint. I’ve known people to skydive in them and also some have done through hikes as well with them.

And there seem to be some coming in as leather sneakers/walkers too, so they can be be upscaled from just “sneaker sneakers”.

Vivos look good but their price point for what they are has been off putting so far.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I did the barefoot/minimal shoes thing for about ten years. Read "Born to Run" and every article I could get my hands on. I had the toe shoes, and the minimal running shoes and the minimal boots when I was in the Army. I was all in, even after everyone else moved on. The only thing I have to thank for it now is a bad case of plantar fasciitis and heel spurs. Its amusing that barefoot is becoming a fad again. I guess it still works for some people and that's awesome. But if you give it the ol' college try and its not working, don't push it and injure yourself like I did.

I did the barefoot/minimal shoes thing for about ten years. Read "Born to Run" and every article I could get my hands on. I had the toe shoes, and the minimal running shoes and the minimal boots when I was in the Army. I was all in, even after everyone else moved on. The only thing I have to thank for it now is a bad case of plantar fasciitis and heel spurs. Its amusing that barefoot is becoming a fad again. I guess it still works for some people and that's awesome. But if you give it the ol' college try and its not working, don't push it and injure yourself like I did.
In the Army I used the usual highly padded running shoes and issue boots and had terrible PF (got out in '10). I was sent to physical therapy for it, had custom orthotics made. Nothing helped until I went to zero drop and built up foot strength. I'm not sure I would try to hump a heavy ruck in shoes without more support, but so far I'm feeling good.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
In the Army I used the usual highly padded running shoes and issue boots and had terrible PF (got out in '10). I was sent to physical therapy for it, had custom orthotics made. Nothing helped until I went to zero drop and built up foot strength. I'm not sure I would try to hump a heavy ruck in shoes without more support, but so far I'm feeling good.
That's awesome dude! I don't know, the magic didn't work for me. And believe me, I tried! I believed all the hype about barefoot making me better, faster, stronger, yadda, yadda. I ran barefoot for about three years and gave up on it after several back, hip, and leg injuries. Sure enough, after going back to normal running shoes, I dropped about a minute on my 2-mile time. So much for the barefoot running claims. But I stuck with the minimal shoes and boots for daily wear much longer thinking it would strengthen my feet. Not so much. I gave it up for good after constant heel and arch pain, which turned out to be PF and the bone spurs. When they gave custom orthotics, it was a Godsend. No pain now, as long as I wear the orthotics.

I like and wear almost exclusively minimalist shoes, but I'm not going to say that they are the cure for everything. I think that it's another case of YMMV. I also think that even if you are minimalist, you may want to incorporate more cushion for certain events - mostly long distance. One of my favorite shoes was the Altra One 2.5. Great shoe! It provided just a touch of cushion while still maintaining a minimalist feel.

I discovered zero drop and minimalist shoes after breaking the fifth metatarsal in my right foot. That first pair of whatever they were fit horribly, but they proved the concept. Then I discovered the Altra Torin 4.5, which was and still is the only shoe I’ve ever owned that really fit right. It was definitely not minimalist though - quite squishy in fact. Still, it fit! No longer available though ….

Both knees are bone-on-bone. The left will be replaced in August, and the right as soon as possible after that. For now at least, I do appreciate a bit of padding, but still try to walk like I’m in true minimalist shoes.

Altra has completely screwed up their line and lost their way IMHO, with ever-growing stack height and sidewalls. I alternate between the Escalante 3 (too snug in the tow box) and Lone Peak 7 (not ideal for daily wear), but need to find something else.

I corresponded a bit with Xero and tried some templates, but they just don’t make anything to fit me. They seem to think everyone has a wide foot. I just want some toe room, but my foot is NOT wide.

So, I need to find something else - something that fits like an old Altra, with a bit of padding but not squishy.

I discovered zero drop and minimalist shoes after breaking the fifth metatarsal in my right foot. That first pair of whatever they were fit horribly, but they proved the concept. Then I discovered the Altra Torin 4.5, which was and still is the only shoe I’ve ever owned that really fit right. It was definitely not minimalist though - quite squishy in fact. Still, it fit! No longer available though ….

Both knees are bone-on-bone. The left will be replaced in August, and the right as soon as possible after that. For now at least, I do appreciate a bit of padding, but still try to walk like I’m in true minimalist shoes.

Altra has completely screwed up their line and lost their way IMHO, with ever-growing stack height and sidewalls. I alternate between the Escalante 3 (too snug in the tow box) and Lone Peak 7 (not ideal for daily wear), but need to find something else.

I corresponded a bit with Xero and tried some templates, but they just don’t make anything to fit me. They seem to think everyone has a wide foot. I just want some toe room, but my foot is NOT wide.

So, I need to find something else - something that fits like an old Altra, with a bit of padding but not squishy.
Have you tried anything from Lem's?

By chance, I just pulled out my pair of Geox for the season. I actually forgot to wear them last year, lol. They aren't deliberate barefoot shoes, and they are just barely wide enough for me, but they are zero drop. I took the insoles out to try that, but they are very nice casual shoes with good jeans or chinos.

Top Bottom