What's new

Any tanners here?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Or any avid hunters that save the pelts?

I skinned my first rabbit tonight and looking for info on how to tan the hide. I’ve read and watched many different opinions on the matter. Everything from just salt it and work it real good afterwards to soak it in water, salt it, soak it in water again, salt it again, egg it, soak it, stretch it, borax it, and on and on.

My goal it to just make it useable. Gloves, a hat, slippers, who knows. I just want the pelt to be bacteria and bug free while also being flexible and soft.

**WARNING - GRAPHIC SKINNED DEAD ANIMAL PHOTOS AHEAD****

DDB90BAC-B18C-45EC-92E8-2FCD2A7A7FB3.jpeg

3CB434FC-3201-4866-B379-4244ABA406AD.jpeg

01691734-2612-4756-92AF-78EEAF3C7149.jpeg

67D16291-570A-4278-A753-84B4F42A7A19.jpeg

Legion

Staff member
We used to make a bath out of black wattle bark, which has a lot of tannin, and soak it in that.

Read up and see if any of your local plants are similar. Pretty easy and free.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Or any avid hunters that save the pelts?

I skinned my first rabbit tonight and looking for info on how to tan the hide. I’ve read and watched many different opinions on the matter. Everything from just salt it and work it real good afterwards to soak it in water, salt it, soak it in water again, salt it again, egg it, soak it, stretch it, borax it, and on and on.

My goal it to just make it useable. Gloves, a hat, slippers, who knows. I just want the pelt to be bacteria and bug free while also being flexible and soft.

**WARNING - GRAPHIC SKINNED DEAD ANIMAL PHOTOS AHEAD****

I tried the salt and letting them dry many, many years ago, but it did not turn out well. But I didn't know what I was doing. I have a couple of coon hides from trapping that I need to send off to a tanner. But that may be too expensive, if you can even find a tanner in your area, for a rabbit. I don't have any stretchers or a fleshing board either, but I don't do enough to get those. With fur prices being terrible the last couple of decades or so it's just not worth getting the proper equipment. I may get a tanning kit and try it again on the coon hides in the freezer just for fun.

Looks like you didn't case skin it, but a rabbit should be good practice. Someone from up North may chime in.

Tanning Options for Trappers - Trapping Today

Tanning Kits & Supplies | F&T Fur Harvester's Trading Post

tanning your own hides part 1 - YouTube

I tried the salt and letting them dry many, many years ago, but it did not turn out well. But I didn't know what I was doing. I have a couple of coon hides from trapping that I need to send off to a tanner. But that may be too expensive, if you can even find a tanner in your area, for a rabbit. I don't have any stretchers or a fleshing board either, but I don't do enough to get those. With fur prices being terrible the last couple of decades or so it's just not worth getting the proper equipment. I may get a tanning kit and try it again on the coon hides in the freezer just for fun.

Looks like you didn't case skin it, but a rabbit should be good practice. Someone from up North may chime in.

Tanning Options for Trappers - Trapping Today

Tanning Kits & Supplies | F&T Fur Harvester's Trading Post

tanning your own hides part 1 - YouTube
I have used the Trapper’s Formula that is listed first in the link to FandT. That is a great company.

I used it on raccoon and they turned out ok. There are YouTube videos that help. You have to really work the skins to make them soft enough for garments. It is not hard, just time consuming. It would be cheap enough for a few small skins. It’s better for wall hanging, but usable in any case if you are experimenting. I have no experience with any of the other solutions.

If you want a professional job done, it costs a bit more. I sent 12 nice big prime raccoons away this year for garment tan and it’ll be $200 by the time I get them back with shipping and all. But they will be very soft and professionally done. I’m having them made into various garments by a local craftsman.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Looks like food to me.

We always used "20 Mule Team Borax," available at the grocery store, for drying/tanning skins.

Rub on, tack up, make something out of it.

Rabbit fur is good for trimming your archery quiver; mine has.

AA

Top Bottom