What's new

Any regular horse hair users?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
It is. Olive wood

@LRod Use the brush yet? Don't soak it. Wet it like you would a synth.

I have a new brush that came int he mail yesterday, a one Maseto Avatar 30 knott silver tipped badger brush. I got done giving its initial soaking to remove any new badger hair smell. After a good sleep, I am planning to give myself a shave, and will try out my new brush for the first time.

I have an Epsilon white horse hair in my rotation (I remember seeing someone comparing it to the poor man's chubby). It's a bit pokey from some of the shorter, non-bleached hairs if you really dig it into your face or splay - but some might call it a plus. It's otherwise fine and perfectly soft if you want to just use the tips or paint.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I have an Epsilon white horse hair in my rotation (I remember seeing someone comparing it to the poor man's chubby). It's a bit pokey from some of the shorter, non-bleached hairs if you really dig it into your face or splay - but some might call it a plus. It's otherwise fine and perfectly soft if you want to just use the tips or paint.

So which is the scratchiest in your guys opinions, horse hair brushes, or, bore brushes?

On another topic, from what I can tell, horse hair brushes require a lot of maintenance. Without brushing them out, the hairs on them look so squiggly wiggly, that can't be a good thing, when you need a brush with solid backbone.

So which is the scratchiest in your guys opinions, horse hair brushes, or, bore brushes?

On another topic, from what I can tell, horse hair brushes require a lot of maintenance. Without brushing them out, the hairs on them look so squiggly wiggly, that can't be a good thing, when you need a brush with solid backbone.

In all honesty the Epsilon white horse hair is probably the scratchiest of all my brushes straight up. That's not to say it's unpleasant. I haven't yet had to do any maintenance on it other than clean it out.

I have a SOC boar that is taking it's sweet time to break in, and feels just as soft as a badger.

EDIT: Corrected spelling error.

Don't use a horse if you are looking for solid backbone. There are other brushes for that. And how is occasionally combing out a horse hair brush "a lot of maintenance"? Have you read some of the rituals people put their brushes through? Horse hair brushes are absolutely fine within their range of use. Don't soak them overly long, don't mash them on the soap puck or on your face and you should see years of shaving pleasure.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Don't use a horse if you are looking for solid backbone. There are other brushes for that. And how is occasionally combing out a horse hair brush "a lot of maintenance"? Have you read some of the rituals people put their brushes through? Horse hair brushes are absolutely fine within their range of use. Don't soak them overly long, don't mash them on the soap puck or on your face and you should see years of shaving pleasure.

I was just simply curious is all. I just got my holy grail of a brush in the mail two days ago, a Maseto Avatar silver tipped finest badger.

And no, I don't know all of the crazy things people do with their brushes, to be honest, I probably don't want to know. Craziest thing I do however, is dry my new brush with a hair dryer.

With the money I spent on my brush, and the length of time I had to wait for it, I'm not taking any chances, in regards to mildew or mold formation. It's a much denser Knott then my old brush, so ya.

Top Bottom