What's new

any of you shave using a few different razors within the same shaving session?

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Yes, but only if I find my blade is too dull to proceed with. Then I switch razors rather than change a wet, soapy and slippery blade. Less bloody that way, given my old and shaky fingers.

As mentioned earlier, only for two reasons: the SE/DE blade was dull or if I'm using a SR, I don't trust myself enough/don't have enough experience to clean up the area below my lower lip and between the moustache and top of my goatee (i.e., they aren't connected) because I don't want to lop any whiskers off that I want to keep or lop anything else off either.

I watched the video and I'm not quite sure what I'm seeing--basically he gives the guy a "Straight Razor" shave with a shavette (one pass), and then he goes over the guy's face again with an electric trimmer "so I can go more closer to the skin, so there is nothing left" basically he does a WTG Shavette and then ATG pass with an electric trimmer so no hair is left behind--the "barber" should have just used the electric trimmer in the first place and skipped the 5 minute lather routine... Not sure what the customer paid for, but I'd be a bit irritated if that's what I walked away with. He should have driven Route 66 and gotten a real Straight Razor shave from the Guardian Angel of Route 66:

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I have 2 Rockwell 6Cs that I will load with two different blades to test against each other. My standard is using plate 5 in each razor. I shave one side of my face with each razor. The next day I will switch sides mainly because my neck growth is different on each side.

I watched the video and I'm not quite sure what I'm seeing--basically he gives the guy a "Straight Razor" shave with a shavette (one pass), and then he goes over the guy's face again with an electric trimmer "so I can go more closer to the skin, so there is nothing left" basically he does a WTG Shavette and then ATG pass with an electric trimmer so no hair is left behind--the "barber" should have just used the electric trimmer in the first place and skipped the 5 minute lather routine... Not sure what the customer paid for, but I'd be a bit irritated if that's what I walked away with. He should have driven Route 66 and gotten a real Straight Razor shave from the Guardian Angel of Route 66:
What I've learnt from studying this video is that the barber lathers for quite some time 5+ minutes, thereby really softening the stubble for a one pass wet shave and then using an electric razor for touch up. I tried it today and to my surprise got a very close shave. Interesting??

What I've learnt from studying this video is that the barber lathers for quite some time 5+ minutes, thereby really softening the stubble for a one pass wet shave and then using an electric razor for touch up. I tried it today and to my surprise got a very close shave. Interesting??
Interesting? To each there own, but nah, I don't see the point. Sorry, not for me, MMWV.

24 hours on, the stubble seems to have come through my face more uniformly?

I normally do a four-pass shave. Although I occasionally complete the entire shave with a single razor and blade, that is unusual, unless I am traveling.

I try to start my shave with an WTG pass using an efficient razor such as a straight razor or my Parker 25C open comb equipped with a sharp blade. If I am using a straight razor, the 2nd pass will be ATG using the straight. If I am using DE razors, the 2nd pass will be XTG using a Parker Variant, a Parker Semi-slant, or a Karve D-plate solid bar. The 3rd pass will usually be ATG using a Karve C-plate equipped with a very sharp blade. The 4th pass is a clean-up pass. I use buffing strokes in a combination of XTG and ATG using either a Van der Hagen/Weishi clone of the Superspeed TTO using one of my sharpest blades or my Schick Type L injector with Chinese Schick blades. I have found that this method allows me to get a super close shave with zero irritation as long as I use a high-quality soap.

I do admit that using multiple razors does make for a more cluttered sink counter. Fortunately, my wife has her own sink.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
A closed comb razor is what I use for my regular shaves, but I use an open comb or shavette for the occasional reshaping of the partial beard and setting sideburns. Sometimes I'll use the open comb for the whole shave if I am going a lot of adjustment, but sometimes I'll shave with the closed comb, then just do the odd tweak with one of the others.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
hey people so sometimes i have a bit of a weird habit of loading blades into a few different razors and using them all within the same shaving session,
was wondering if anyone else this at all?

like last shave for example, started with shavette did about 70% then went onto the leaf razors for about 20% then fancied using the fatrip grande open comb razor to finish off and straight side burns as i got a beard etc and touch up and missing bits and do neck line etc

was rather enjoyable tbh, as one frustrating thing for me is always having to wait a few days between head shaves,
obviously if youre a facial shaver you could get away with shaving more often imo
Nope

even i was like why would be use a foil shaver after using a shavette lol

Guilty as charged - I use a SR or a shavette on the cheeks and neck wtg then use a semislant xtg and ATG afterwards. Must be BBS every time.... 😁

Reactions: saj
Guilty as charged - I use a SR or a shavette on the cheeks and neck wtg then use a semislant xtg and ATG afterwards. Must be BBS every time.... 😁
Interesting, how comes you do that?

Is it to use different things you got more often?

Sort of, if I haven't shaved in a few days then I'll use the OC plate on my FaTip for the first pass so clear away the longer hairs then revert back to the Gentile plate for passes 2 and 3.

Top Bottom