What's new

Any idea?

I just bought this stone today. I am at a loss as to what it might be. Any ideas. For comparison the small stone is my Thuri. The large is an old Yellow Lakes.
Size is 7”x1-3/4”x3/4”. It is not green looking to the eye. Top photo is very close to the real color.

I gave it a good soak in Dawn to lift out the grime. Then I decked one side on a flat with 320 grit loose. It is as silky feeling as my Thuri. So it is better feeling than the Yellow Lakes. I am in Cali

I will take a blade to it to see how it performs.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

timwcic

"Look what I found"
The color, divots, scratches, and saw marks, to me read like a Queer Creek. They can run on the fine side, but not exceptionally fine and I would not call them “silky”. If silky is the word, than something in the slate family (Thuri) is a direction to look

The cut of the box does say Thuri to me, and the stone would appear to follow suit.

I know the one in the box is Thuri. It is marked made in Germany. It is the center stone I just picked up. I am almost certain it is a slate type. It made a nice milky grey slurry with a few goes with my DMT.

I will find out in a few days when I hone up a blade and give it a go.

The color, divots, scratches, and saw marks, to me read like a Queer Creek. They can run on the fine side, but not exceptionally fine and I would not call them “silky”. If silky is the word, than something in the slate family (Thuri) is a direction to look

I will look into the Queer Creek option for sure too.

Whatever it is. It will be a welcome addition to my stone family.

I know the one in the box is Thuri. It is marked made in Germany. It is the center stone I just picked up. I am almost certain it is a slate type. It made a nice milky grey slurry with a few goes with my DMT.

I will find out in a few days when I hone up a blade and give it a go.

Oh, thanks for clarifying. The middle stone looked shorter than the one on the right and had the matching circular scratches, so I thought the one on the left was the new one (albeit, not yellow-green). Middle one does look like a yellow-green. Queer Creek stones are grainy--sandstone.

It definitely is not a Queer Creek. I took a Wilkinson wedge blade from my Pall Mall set that needed to be honed. I set the bevel with my Naniwa 1k then moved to my Naniwa 3k. I would usually go to my 8k Naniwa before moving to my natural stones I then built a nice milky slurry on my new stone and proceeded to hone diluting every so often.

The feel was nice and smooth. Best comparison is to my coticule. I then took and stropped it on my Linen and Latigo strop. I only did 30 on the linen and 60 on the strop. Normally for a fresh hone I double that. I wanted to see what it did in a more raw state.

I had 5 days to deal with. It worked fine. No real tugging, especially on passes 2&3.

I will give the blade more stone for next shave. May even go back to my 8k then the new stone. I think it will find a place in my hone rotation for sure.
proxy.php

proxy.php

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Why did you have to go and post a picture of your Pall Mall set? Now I want one!

Last edited:
Razor: Wilkinson - Pall Mall (7 Day Set) 1905
Blade: Wilkinson - “Special” Wedge Blade

B423D82A-2CE4-4794-9FEA-6B58A1735CE1.jpeg
Shave Rating: 6/10
This Shave Took 2 Hours!
My second shave with the Pall Mall 7 day set. The Friday blade was pitiful. I could barely get it to cut hair. I don’t know what’s going on here. I honed these blades from extra coarse diamond and 1k,3k,8k and12k Stones.I checked the apex with every stone with a magic marker. These blades were fully apexed and carefully honed but still seem dull.
I couldn’t go on like this and halted my shave. I rehoned the blade from extra-coarse to 12k, and rechecked the apexing again. To my sense, the blade still didn’t feel that sharp to me.
I put it back in the razor and resumed my shave. Better, it’s removing whiskers, but not very efficiently. At this rate it will take me ten or more passes.
Halt! Stop the shave again.
I removed the blade and stropped the hell out of it on my big 3” Ezra Arthur strop.
5795E7A6-7F5D-478A-8F78-0DCD2FAC789C.jpeg

Okay, back to the shave. I reinstalled the blade and continued my shave. The stropping must have smoothed the edge right out. It’s now shaving me close and smooth.
I’m nicely shaved now, but that was a lot of work. I have to figure out why my blades aren’t coming off the stones feeling “Razor sharp”.
My Wilkinson Empire blade was in terrible shape and honed up sharp as the dickens with less work. I just don’t know. I guess I’m really going to have to study my Sunday blade before I put it to use for my next shave.

I posted in this thread in case anyone has any pointers or experience with the Pall Mall blades. I’m just having the devil of a time getting these blades where I think 12000 grit stones should get them. The should feel sticky sharp at 12000. I’m not a newb and really put a lot of careful work into each blade.

Top Bottom