What's new

Any else camping this weekend?

I forgot to post this one. November 15-17 at Mt. Rogers NRA in Virginia. 24 Scouts and 8 adults hiked from Elk Garden to Thomas Knob shelter. Lows on Friday night were +/- 0. Very cold. Saturday was perfect. Visibility at about 60-70 miles!

$IMG_0379.jpg

$IMG_0389.jpg

$IMG_0393.jpg

Now that's real camping...the kind I prefer NOT to do. I'll take my happy little travel trailer with air conditioning and heat any day!!

While I'm essentially and RV camping guy, I do go on hiking/camping trips as well. The beauty of BSA's type of camping is, there are views that are not accessible to motorized vehicles. A little pain for a lot of gain is pretty darn exciting too :thumbup:

Any Boy Scout volunteers out there. We are taking our troop to winter camp at the and of the month. December 31st to Jan 4th

I'm in!. Eagle Scout 1973. BSA adult volunteer in various roles since 1982. Currently (since 2007) Scoutmaster for troop at my church. 2 Eagle sons. Our troop camps every month for 10 months of the year. Some backpacking, some car camping, canoeing, rock climbing, etc.

Great program and memories enough for a lifetime.

A big salute to all BSA volunteers.

Any Boy Scout volunteers out there. We are taking our troop to winter camp at the and of the month. December 31st to Jan 4th

at Turpentine Creek in Eureka Springs AR...the tiger was smelling bacon and eggs that morning :D

Will definitey be going back this spring...hearing all the animals at night was awesome...my 3 year old loves that place

Attachments

• $tent.jpg
    $tent.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 86
  • $tiger.jpg
    $tiger.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 86
I'm in!. Eagle Scout 1973. BSA adult volunteer in various roles since 1982. Currently (since 2007) Scoutmaster for troop at my church. 2 Eagle sons. Our troop camps every month for 10 months of the year. Some backpacking, some car camping, canoeing, rock climbing, etc.

Great program and memories enough for a lifetime.

A big salute to all BSA volunteers.

Only just now did I realize what the BSA in "BSAGuy" meant. :idea:

Yep, crleftwich. The BSA is a great program. I love it.

I really hate to see the Scouts get so maligned in the press. All we are trying to teach these boys is character, leadership, participating citizenship, and fitness. Who could be against that?

The BSA is hands-down the best organization anywhere for building young men of character and caring outside of church.

I have been able to make a positive change in my Scouts' lives and that is impactful.

Yep, crleftwich. The BSA is a great program. I love it.

I really hate to see the Scouts get so maligned in the press. All we are trying to teach these boys is character, leadership, participating citizenship, and fitness. Who could be against that?

The BSA is hands-down the best organization anywhere for building young men of character and caring outside of church.

I have been able to make a positive change in my Scouts' lives and that is impactful.

I agree, My son went through it and now I'm working with my oldest grandson. For many of the boys in our troop, the Scout leaders are the only male role models in their life. It is both a great responsibility and a great opportunity.

Doing a quick overnight trip with my boys at Little Talbot Island (just north of Jacksonville) this Sunday. Hope to have some good pictures to post Monday night.

That was one cold (for Florida) trip! The overnight temp dropped to 38 degrees. We had a great time, though. Hiked around the campground, tossed the football around, cooked over the fire and walked on the beach.

Our Campsite
$littletalbot.jpg

We had eggs and sausages for breakfast. :001_smile
$sausages.jpg

That was one cold (for Florida) trip! The overnight temp dropped to 38 degrees. We had a great time, though. Hiked around the campground, tossed the football around, cooked over the fire and walked on the beach.

Our Campsite
We had eggs and sausages for breakfast. :001_smile
View attachment 541572

Perfect picture after another day of making it home JUST as the car was starting to finally warm up!
Looks good! :thumbup1:

No photos, but this past weekend (Jan. 16-18) took the Scouts to Congaree National Park just east of Columbia, SC. Great weather with lows in mid-low 30's, highs near 60 and sunny. We learned all about old growth bottom land forests and canoed for 4 hours.

Had some great food and fun with both the 15 Scouts and 6 adults who attended.

lmaoo..bsa guy not sure you would have been thinkin hey this place is great,here at my camp..you prolly wouldve had that same look on your face as i did when i walked thru the door and saw old faithful spewing gallons of water... one eyebrow cocked lower jaw dropped and only one thought going thru the mind...what in the hell...lmaooo...yea that was definately me...

No photos, but this past weekend (Jan. 16-18) took the Scouts to Congaree National Park just east of Columbia, SC. Great weather with lows in mid-low 30's, highs near 60 and sunny. We learned all about old growth bottom land forests and canoed for 4 hours.
I want to come camping with you!

We camp every month, September through June plus a week of summer camp in July.

My older son, now an Eagle and age 21, started in this troop in 2005. Since then, we have backpacked the Appalchian Trail, other trails here in NC, SC, TN, VA, and GA numerous times, spelunked, rock climbed, canoed, camped on Coast Guard and Army bases, visited national and state parks, fished on the Outer Banks, water skied, whitewater rafted, sailed in the British Virgin Islands, backpacked the North Cascades National Park in Washington State and toured Seattle, kayaked in Puget Sound, backpacked at Philmont in New Mexico high desert for 10 days, and attended the Centennial National Jamboree in 2010.

I have traveled enough going and coming on these various trips to circle the globe at the Equator (25,000 miles) and have 174 nights of camping and 380+ miles of backpacking.

Scouts is da bomb

I want to come camping with you!

We were taking the Scouts camping at a Ranch outside of town, BUT the ranch foreman called and asked us not to come because its too wet.

Top Bottom