What's new

Any Eagles out there?

I don't know if anybody has put up a thread like this before, but just wondering if there are any other Eagle Scouts on the forum? Every once in a while I get to thinking about the BSA, and a piece I heard on the radio got me thinking about it again, and what a great program the Boy Scouts of America is. I joined the National Eagle Scouts Association as well.
So, any other Eagle Scouts in here?

Yes. I'm a NESA lifer, as well. So many of fond memories of Scouting growing up (it's where I learned the dangers of burning poison ivy!). Perhaps my SSAD and RAD are simply functions of "Be Prepared"?:wink:

Great thread idea!

I miss camping. My father was never a Boy Scout, but made sure all 3 of his boys got their Eagle Scout award, and some of his fondest memories were of being a scoutmaster. His first troop ever all earned their Eagle Scout awards, a point that brought him great pride. Many ended up very successful in life. He would take us boys out camping with him and his scouts as soon as we were old enough. My wife is not big on camping, so I haven't been in some time. But I look forward to taking my son camping as soon as he is old enough.

I also have fond memories of summer camp at Glacial Trails Scout Ranch in northern California - one of the great scout camps out there!

Chief Scout here.
To the best of my knowledge its the Canadian equivalent to Eagle scout.

Many great experiences, I'll probably get back into it when I have kids of my own.

Yes, I'm an Eagle. Looking back on things, I would say my time as my troop's Senior Patrol Leader when I was 15 taught me more about group leadership than any other position I've taken in my life. I too miss camping... I constantly tell myself I'm going to scrounge up some gear and take to the woods for a weekend, but I always find a reason to put it off.

Eagle Scout here. Have my certificate hanging on my wall underneath my college degree :)

My favorite camping trip was to the High Adventure base in Maine. Canoeing down a river and coming across a moose grazing was too cool.

Yes, I'm an Eagle, class of '67.

Both sons are as well.

I'm on the council NESA committee. We are putting the final touches on the annual Eagle Recognition banquet. The speaker will be an Eagle Scout Staff Sargent just back from Afganistan.

My first shave mug wa an Order of the Arrow coffee cup sold at Scout Camp.

Used Williams then. I still use that same mug with Williams. I have other mugs for the better soaps.

I'm going to Philment in July for a workshop. Should I take along a straight?

Joe

You can count me in as a member of the club. It litterally took me my entire Scouting career to achieve. I didn't actually have my Eagle Board of Review until after I turned 18, which is legal as long as all other requirements are met before then.

As a former Scoutmaster I encourage you Eagles that miss Scouting's activities to become involved with a local troop.
These activities are fun as an adult also.
I'm still involved, but now as a Committee Member for Star, Life, and Eagle boards of review.

One of my biggest mistakes in life is quitting Boy Scouts before becoming an Eagle Scout. I made it to 1st Class and then quit. I've regretted it ever since.

Congrats to those who managed to keep on track and finish.

I would also encourage you to become involved with a local troop. Someone needs to show these boys how to shave :)

NESA has contracted with Harris in a campaign to find Eagle Scouts and update address records. Here is from the NESA Webpage:

The Eagle Scout court of honor is undoubtedly the proudest moment of a young Scout's life. Years of learning, teaching, and hard work culminate in this special honor that only the most determined Boy Scouts obtain. That is why the National Eagle Scout Association has launched a national Eagle Scout search program.

"We want to find and contact every living Eagle Scout and register his achievements, past and present," said NESA Director Bill Steele. "This effort will culminate in Roll Call: The National Eagle Scout Registry--a publication that will capture the tradition, history, and honor of our nation's Eagle Scouts and will be available only to bona fide Eagles." Steele added that only Eagle Scouts who agree to be listed and who are adults will be included in the directory.

Be sure to watch for updates about the search. NESA has partnered with Harris Connect Inc., the nation's membership publication experts, to help locate all Eagle Scouts and to produce Roll Call. If you know an Eagle Scout, please alert him about this important project. You might even contact your local council office to alert them of Eagle Scouts you know, and be sure to include their contact information.

You can count me in as a member of the club. It litterally took me my entire Scouting career to achieve. I didn't actually have my Eagle Board of Review until after I turned 18, which is legal as long as all other requirements are met before then.

That's where I missed out on it. I did complete the requirements "in the nick of time." But because I had turned 18 I was not allowed to receive the badge.

My Grandfather earned his Eagle in the early 1920's when Scouting was still new. Two of my brother's sons have earned their Eagle badges and his third son will get his this year.

Another Eagle Scout here. Great time with scouts (Troop 87 all the way!!). Whenever I settle into one place for more than a year or so I'll have to try and find a local troop.

Anyone been to Philmont in New Mexico? I fell in love with backpacking and hiking there (went twice). Even went back to work there for a couple of Summers.

I remember my awards ceremony being a huge deal because George Bush (the senior one) was there. There were like 8 of us in the same ceremony and since Bush was in Houston anyways, he came to our ceremony (ended up being like a banquet actually). My parents still have the picture of a 17 year old me shaking his hand.

spiffy

Steele added that only Eagle Scouts who agree to be listed and who are adults will be included in the directory.

Thanks for posting that. I got a card in the mail last week from them (absolutely no idea how they got my Cleveland address, as I cut off association with the scouts long before I left Indy, but whatever). I hadn't intended on calling them, as they had my directory information correct, but now I'm reconsidering it. I think I still have the postcard... hm.

That's where I missed out on it. I did complete the requirements "in the nick of time." But because I had turned 18 I was not allowed to receive the badge.

If you completed all the requirements in the nick of time, what did you not have done before you turned 18 that caused you to not receive your badge?

George Bush at your Eagle Ceremony! What a great memory. I saw George Bush the younger at the National Jamboree in 2005. All the American Presidents since Theodore Roosevelt have supported Scouting.

BTW the 100th Anniversary for BSA is coming up in 2010.

You can count me in too, another Eagle Scout here! My oldest son is also an Eagle Scout and my youngest is working his way up now.

I can't express the gratitude I have for the BSA and all it has done for me, my family and millions of men across the globe over the years.

Memories, ok here's a few of the silly ones from camp.

• The left handed blueberry peeler.
  • The right handed smoke screen.
  • and the infamous Sky Hook.
:lol::lol::lol:

Top Bottom