What's new

Any cold water shavers out there?

I know that many guys in the DE and SE world like their cold water shaves. I never seem to hear any of this cold water talk in the SR world. Personally cold water on my face and cold lather doesn't do it for me. Give me a warm water splash and warm lather any day.

Anyone use cold water for their SR shaves?

I shower and prep my face with hot water but once I get to making my lather, the tap is cold. Been experimenting with it for a few weeks now and love it. Will stick with it until winter comes around

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
During the summer I shave with cold water on the very hot days 35-45 c. Very refreshing.

I use cold water exclusively for my SR shaves. I guess I should point out that I live in a hot climate, so the tap water is never all that cold.

I made the switch because I was getting skin irritation using hot water, and it vanished when I switched to cold. I suppose I could try hot again, now that I'm better at honing and shaving. Maybe the skin irritation was a matter of technique or imperfections in the blade, rather than skin sensitivity. That's more of a winter experiment, though.

A second advantage of cold water shaving with an SR is that you can feel and hear the hairs being cut, far more easily. That's been a real advantage as I work to improve my technique and learn my beard map.

I shave with hot towel and hot water during shave
Remaining lather is then used

I often use a water bowl and place cold water with 1-2 ice cubes in bowl then face rinse off with cold water rinse after re apply remaining lather

Soothing especially if mentol type soap

I shave with hot towel and hot water during shave
Remaining lather is then used

I often use a water bowl and place cold water with 1-2 ice cubes in bowl then face rinse off with cold water rinse after re apply remaining lather

Soothing especially if mentol type soap

Forgot to mention heals and closes pores, excellent especially summer, also face is moist not wet prior to applying splash

I tried a cold shave once but while it was refreshing and a nice change I didn’t like the blade feel as much. Does warm water soften hair more than cold water? It feels like it.
But I do rinse the blade in cold water now and then which is nice.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
A mixture. Hot shower or steaming towel prep, warm lather, followed by cold blade rinses and finish with cold face rinse.

Heat moistens the whiskers and opens pores, cold closes the pores.

Learned this routine a hiking trip through the Himalayas, seeking shaving nirvana advice from Tibetan monks. Or it was from B&B.

I go cold water more often than I’d like to. Nothing like going all out and preparing everything and taking your time but... I get a good shave going cold.

I've done it, and liked it during hot summers (or, I liked not sweating fresh out of the shower as I shaved), but it's been a long while since I have. last couple of years, it's been warm shaves, not hot. I don't like cold shaves when it's cold, for sure. I've never had an issue that I needed to cold shave for irritation or any other reason.

Oh forgot to mention,,, just came to me,,, as a military vet,,,, many shaves in foxholes, in the woods with my helmet, cold water only and bic or cheap razors,, [emoji35],,, was not even thinking about serious shaving,,,, probably because i only had peach fuzz?
Shaved in snow and rain[emoji23]
Now lathering prior to shave is top priority learn to lather correctly ensuring best lather moisture possible,, soap dependent

Hot shower, hot towel,,, cold water rinses using remaining soap
2 or 3 times

[emoji3][emoji97]

Top Bottom