What's new

Any Astrophotographers here?

A couple of my recent images.

Comet C/2022 E3

C2022_E3-lpc-cbg-crop-lpc-cbg-St+PS copy.jpg

M44 The Beehive Cluster

M44_Cr.jpg

I like the camera on the S23 Ultra a lot.
I shot this one last week. Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra and Celestron 9.25 Evolution. 10mm Televue Radian eyepiece. I shot with the Expert Raw app and processed in Lightroom for Android.

I held the phone up to the eyepiece which at the time had a magnification of ~230x. I used manual focus to get it as sharp as possible.

The settings were ISO 800 and 1/120 second exposure.

20230825_215704.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I shot this one last week. Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra and Celestron 9.25 Evolution. 10mm Televue Radian eyepiece. I shot with the Expert Raw app and processed in Lightroom for Android.

I held the phone up to the eyepiece which at the time had a magnification of ~230x. I used manual focus to get it as sharp as possible.

View attachment 1710066
That is absolutely beautiful my friend!

I have a hard time believing that is from a phone.
Just incredible.

View attachment 1710066
That's outstanding! Awesome job capturing the moon.

I'd been wanting to do some planetary imaging for a while, but life (and weather) kept getting in the way. I finally had a chance to put my deforked ETX-105 to some use this past Saturday. Jupiter was well placed after sunset so out came the trusty G-11 and I mounted the ETX to it. My ASI174mm is the only camera I have suitable for planetary imaging and just barely at that.

So I shot a bunch of still frames and some video this image is from the best 85% of 12,000 frames. I preprocessed in PIPP then brought the resulting AVI into Autostakkert! 4.06 beta to create a TIF file that I then processed in Photoshop. I was surprised to get both the planet and the moons in one shot.

It's not Damian Peach or Christopher Go quality, but I'm happy with what I was able to get.

Here's a link the the full size image on Astrobin. Jupiter and friends (Craigbob) - Full resolution | AstroBin - https://www.astrobin.com/full/cuwqze/0/
CR_Jupiter.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Enjoying a new Seestar S50, but it is no substitute for a real astro-imaging rig such as these here... and it takes away from time spent visual observing. Mrs AA even objected, saying "you're not seeing it yourself," which is right.

However, I can't see "the faint fuzzies" any other way - a Dob the size of a car just won't get used. Time will tell which direction to go.

AA

I totaly forgot to post any shots from the Annular Eclipse this past Oct. A group of friends and I were planning on shooting the eclipse from DeHanis Tx at the site of some old Church ruins along the Centerline as it was an hour's drive from San Antonio. But waether had other plans and it was forecast to be overcast during the majority of the eclipse. So we went to a little league baseball field in Comfort Tx a bit farther off the centerline. Originally I wanted to shoot this in H-Alpha through my Coronado Solarmax 90, but I couldn't get any of my DSLRs to come to focus with that scope and I didn't want to deal with a laptop & power for my mono solar camera so I shot with a white light solar filter.

Here's a few of my favorites along with a timelapse video made from the still images.

Timelapse Video:

sm_Eclipse Phases Text.jpeg

An overview of the Eclipse False Colored

_IMG2324-Enhanced-RD.jpg

Close up of some Sunspots

_IMG2399.jpg

Bailey's Beads

SM_IMG2396_DxO.jpg

Annularity (Not as Centered due being further off the centerline than intended)

I finally had a clear night and enough time to test out the new version of the Pentax Astrotracer firmware.

For those unfamiliar with Astrotracer, it is an adjunct to the camera's In Body Image Stabilization (IBIS) system. Most cameras have had lens based image stabilization, whereas Pentax added it to the actual sensor which gives it all sorts of additional functionality. The Astrotracer portion allows the sensor to move to track teh stars for up to 5 minutes without using an external tracker. In the original verion it relied on a GPS (Either internal or external) and camera calibration in 3 axis roatation (often called the chicken dance) that was hit or miss. The new version takes a short shot before taking the actual shot and analyzes the star motion so it knows how to move the sensor.

I used the Pentax 28-105 and my Pentax K-1 my skys are Bortle 5.

49x60s Stacked in AstroPixelProcessor and processed in Pixinsight and Photoshop.

28-105 lens at 105mm
f/5.6
ISO100

I have to say I'm surprised to be able to pull out the Horsehead at IOS 100 under these skies. The K-1 never fails to amaze me.

m42-crop-lpc-cbg-csc-sr-St_bxt_ps2 copy.jpg

Sadly in Singapore the air is so humid, cloudy and with the light pollution, on the odd occasion you can see the moon, let alone any stars, it's such a surprise you don't think about a photo(!)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Sadly in Singapore the air is so humid, cloudy and with the light pollution, on the odd occasion you can see the moon, let alone any stars, it's such a surprise you don't think about a photo(!)
Yeah, Michigan is humid, but no real pollution issues!

Top Bottom