What's new

Antica Barbieria Colla Product Inquiry

Hello all,

So i just purchased ABC's Almond Oil Aftershave Milk and love it! Everything about it is great, from the scent to its performance on my sensitive skin after i shave. However upon reading reviews of what others have experienced, I've noticed that its shelf life is sparse. So my question is, should i refrigerate the aftershave milk? Or is there a better, more appropriate way to store it? Not that i plan on making it last for years because thats all I'll use as far as aftershave milks go.

So i have no experience with this product but did some digging for you and wanted to offer my 2 cents. Despite having “milk” in the name, i checked the ingredient list and there’s nothing to indicate it’s milk based or partictularly short lasting.

Ingredients: Aqua (Water), Dimethicone and Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Cetearyl Alcohol, Paraffinum Liquidum (Mineral Oil), Isoproylmyristate, ceteareth-20, laureth-3, allantoin, menthol, Carbomer, Glycine Sojaoil (Soybean Oil), Tocopheryl Acetate, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis ( Sweet Almond) Oil, Parfum (Fragrance), BHA, BHT, butylparaben, ethylparaben, methylparaben, propylparaben, tetrasodium EDTA, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Dehydroacetate.

The anecdotal accounts put the shelf life at years which should be enough time to use it up. A point to note, almond oil’s shelf life is 6 months to a year. If you notice one of the primary ingredients is alcohol, so you could safely assume that it should last double the shelf life of normal almond oil. All said and done, i’d say probably 2 years is a safe bet. Hope this helps!

Several years ago I ordered ABC shaving cream and got almond milk instead - simple error that could have been easily rectified. I had several other creams readily available so I decided to keep the milk. That was the fastest I think I ever went through any aftershave product. The stuff was really good to my skin. Never had the time to worry about expiration date.
My technique back then wasn't too good (who am I kidding - it was awful) and alcohol burn indicated where I should take better care. By the end of 100 ml bottle I was in much better control of my razor. It was fairly expensive but effective way to hone certain skills.
Thinking about my technique now - there are still things that could be improved.

So i have no experience with this product but did some digging for you and wanted to offer my 2 cents. Despite having “milk” in the name, i checked the ingredient list and there’s nothing to indicate it’s milk based or partictularly short lasting.

Ingredients: Aqua (Water), Dimethicone and Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Cetearyl Alcohol, Paraffinum Liquidum (Mineral Oil), Isoproylmyristate, ceteareth-20, laureth-3, allantoin, menthol, Carbomer, Glycine Sojaoil (Soybean Oil), Tocopheryl Acetate, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis ( Sweet Almond) Oil, Parfum (Fragrance), BHA, BHT, butylparaben, ethylparaben, methylparaben, propylparaben, tetrasodium EDTA, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Dehydroacetate.

The anecdotal accounts put the shelf life at years which should be enough time to use it up. A point to note, almond oil’s shelf life is 6 months to a year. If you notice one of the primary ingredients is alcohol, so you could safely assume that it should last double the shelf life of normal almond oil. All said and done, i’d say probably 2 years is a safe bet. Hope this helps!
Wow thanks! This covers any question i had about the product and its shelf life. I really appreciate this. And i really appreciate the in depth and thoroughly researched answer! Many thanks my friend!

Several years ago I ordered ABC shaving cream and got almond milk instead - simple error that could have been easily rectified. I had several other creams readily available so I decided to keep the milk. That was the fastest I think I ever went through any aftershave product. The stuff was really good to my skin. Never had the time to worry about expiration date.
My technique back then wasn't too good (who am I kidding - it was awful) and alcohol burn indicated where I should take better care. By the end of 100 ml bottle I was in much better control of my razor. It was fairly expensive but effective way to hone certain skills.
Thinking about my technique now - there are still things that could be improved.
Yeah see i don't plan on holding on to it for "years" or anything either because I'm going to use it every time I shave but i just had to be sure just in case it really is "milk" based and would end up expiring within a matter of months or something. .

first, Welcome to B&B, Sir Jdeaton! (Great avatar, too!)
Great taste in shaving stuff!

I had an incident with the ABC almond oil aftershave turning greenish and little 'off' after about 3 yrs. in any case, i'd suggest 12-36 months to use yours up.
there are some oils that might turn.
probably not needed to refrig, just keep in cool, dark spot.
enjoy it while fresh!

antica balm.jpg

first, Welcome to B&B, Sir Jdeaton! (Great avatar, too!)
Great taste in shaving stuff!

I had an incident with the ABC almond oil aftershave turning greenish and little 'off' after about 3 yrs. in any case, i'd suggest 12-36 months to use yours up.
there are some oils that might turn.
probably not needed to refrig, just keep in cool, dark spot.
enjoy it while fresh!

View attachment 953245
Thank you very very much sarimento1! I appreciate the compliment! But yeah the first shaving soap and brush we're both by ABC so after i got it and tried it i fell in love! I made it a mission for that to pretty much be my brand so i bought the green tobacco aftershave milk and the almond oil aftershave milk as well their hair products and honestly haven't looked back! But i appreciate the help with this! I'll take that advice and just use it til its gone because its all I'll use and keep it in a cool dark place.

C1FF4D38-95F6-4A98-A505-71AE67CDAF38.jpeg
Thank you very very much sarimento1! I appreciate the compliment! But yeah the first shaving soap and brush we're both by ABC so after i got it and tried it i fell in love! I made it a mission for that to pretty much be my brand so i bought the green tobacco aftershave milk and the almond oil aftershave milk as well their hair products and honestly haven't looked back! But i appreciate the help with this! I'll take that advice and just use it til its gone because its all I'll use and keep it in a cool dark place.

Good plan!
Include visiting their shop in Milan sometime, be sure to include that lovely lady as well on the trip!

Wow thanks! This covers any question i had about the product and its shelf life. I really appreciate this. And i really appreciate the in depth and thoroughly researched answer! Many thanks my friend!

No problem at all! Getting into aftershaves has been my favorite part of DE shaving. I’m more a barbershop smell kind of guy but those ABC ones look awesome. May try to pick up a bottle myself some day.

Top Bottom