What's new

Anthony Logistics shave cream

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
This is a product which seems to be flying under the radar here.

I used this cream for several years in the 'bad old days' of Shick and Gilette multiblades, applying it to my face and lathering with a hands-only massage. Until today, I had kept this creame relegated to that purgatory (in my gym kit, with my quattro) and out of the picture as far as my straights are concerned.

But then a couple of days ago it hit me ... it's 'shaving cream' ... so why not see how it lathers up & shaves?

So today I did just that. I whipped out my B&B silvertip for its inaugural lather, and I got as good a lather as from my tub of Taylor avocado & Vulfix. What really impressed me was the cooling, soothing sensation of the lather on my face as I shaved. (It reminded me of how much this cream impressed me years ago when I first tried it instead of foaming goo.) This may be somewhat inaccurate, but the scent seems somewhat mint-ish. (A nice smell, just can't put my finger on it!)

So, does anyone else out there use this stuff? I'm too much of a n00b with creams to do a formal review, but at first blush and first brush, it seems like this might be worth adding to the rotation & bringing to your attention.

It seems fairly reasonable in cost too.
Anthony: 6 oz for $14
T&H tub: 5.8 oz for $24
AOS tub: 5.3 oz for $22
Taylor tub: 5.3 os for $13.49
(All prices are at "menessentials.com" except Taylor, at classicshaving.com, all in $US.)

I'd suggest giving it a shot, but I'd really like to hear the opinions of others here. Oh, and BTW, Anthony Logistics donates partial profits to prostate cancer research, which is nice to know.

I use anthony shaving cream in my rotation as well as proraso and T & H.
They now have the shave cream available in 4 new scents, they smell more like a cologne type smell but not too strong. I love Anthony products for the price.

I agree with the original poster... I've been an advocate of this stuff (for use with a brush) for a long time. Definitely a minty smell, leaves the skin feeling great, and produces an awesome, slick lather.

Drew

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I use anthony shaving cream in my rotation as well as proraso and T & H.
They now have the shave cream available in 4 new scents, they smell more like a cologne type smell but not too strong. I love Anthony products for the price.

I hadn't seen the new scents ... are they for sale somewhere on the internet?

I have nearly the whole line. I don' t love the after shave balm because it is numbing but if you have a rough shave it helps out a bit.

Over the past 3-4 years I've tried nearly everything offered by AL, & I have yet to be impressed with any of it. It's usually an early stop for many men who are just discovering skin care, but it strikes me as nothing more than an over hyped & overpriced drugstore brand. The shave cream as well as the gel are no exception. You can find a more effective, & usually less expensive alternative to virtually everything in the line.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Over the past 3-4 years I've tried nearly everything offered by AL, & I have yet to be impressed with any of it. It's usually an early stop for many men who are just discovering skin care, but it strikes me as nothing more than an over hyped & overpriced drugstore brand. The shave cream as well as the gel are no exception. You can find a more effective, & usually less expensive alternative to virtually everything in the line.

Do you know of cheaper & better replacement for their hair gel? It's the one AL product I'm really fond of and can't find a decent inexpensive alternative.

IMHO I think their razor burn repair lotion is very good indeed. I've been using clinique or clarins stuff for years and years (usually the post shave healer and the the moistuiser) and tried the Anthony for a change a few months ago. I'll say this, the AL stuff lasts for ever, feels good on the skin and smells nice. No complaints about their product here.

I just feel compelled to say (without having actually tested this product) that I'm irritated by men's grooming lines that borrow the language of technology or the military. I don't need "logistics" first thing in the morning: I'm not moving troops around or delivering supplies to a far-flung outpost. The same goes for that line of products (whose name escapes me) that came packaged in bottles done up to look like motor-oil canisters. I feel certain confidence issues here... – Sorry about that. Been bugging me for a while. I don't want to gainsay your good shave!

I went back and dredged up this old thread because I have recently encountered Anthony Logistics shave cream, and was surprised.
I went into Nordstrom's, hoping to get a sample of T&H and AOS to try, and after fairly being ignored by the salespeople, someone scraped in the back of a drawer and handed me a couple samples of Anthony shave cream and moved on.
I took it home and tossed it in my shave drawer, because it wasn't what I had been after, and I wasn't even sure it was meant to be used with a brush.
Last night I had some spare time, so I decided to take out one of the samples to see how it lathered. In my mug, I couldn't get what looked like a decent lather going, but I wasn't expecting a lot. Then I decided to see how it felt on my face. Once I got it on my face, I was amazed at how thick and slick this stuff was. It felt like a heavier lather than some of my others, but was really moist and slippery as a greased watermelon. Unfortunately I didn't have time to shave with it, but I just took in the feel for a few minutes. There is a subtle mint smell to it - not as strong as, say, the Kiss My Face Mint, but definitely there. It had a cooling effect similar to, but not as strong as, Proraso. It said that it has eucalyptus oil in it, so it seems like this could be a great summer time shave, provided that it gives a good shave. I'll have to use that other sample tonight!

I have their "Energy" scented cream (blue tube) and find that it takes some time to figure out the correct water to cream ratio to whip up the lather. But after that, the lather feels great and gives a fine shave. I also recently spoke with a salesperson for AL at a Nordstroms who was pushing their new cologne scents...........which she informed me are "colognes" and not "edt's", which means they contain the most EO's, and are only priced at $22 for 5mL!!!!! The price is well worth it. Back to the cream........the scents are great and the price per oz is about half of the upper tier creams.

I got a tube of this for Xmas and also thought it wasn't good for a brush when I couldn't lather it on my face (that was all I was doing at the time). Over the weekend I dug it out looking for my Proraso red and thought I'd give it a try. After all, it looks like a cream, why not try it with the brush?

So contrary to the labeling (which just says put it on your face), the cream does lather. The first thing that hits you is the eucalyptus smell. It's very pleasant. The lather is really firm, much more so than I've gotten with the tub of Taylor's I've been using. The consistency is more like a canned foam. Maybe that's not your thing, but it felt good to me. The volume doesn't swell up very quickly, but keep whipping and you can get all you need out of a regulation snurdle.

I did this yesterday and got a very nice close shave and a cool feeling that lasted all day long. I tried it again today and the results were not quite as good. I did switch razors and put in a fresh blade, or maybe it was the screaming kids. :rolleyes:

So I'll definitely put this in the rotation.

I've been whipping the cream into a lather since January without complaint. I like the scent and the slickness of the cream. My wife bought it for me from Sephora. When I'm finished with this tube I intend to buy more. I like it.

The packaging is crisp and modern, but their products on a whole aren't. I do very much like their blue body scrub and their under arm deodorant, but am not impressed with the rest. Once, I did ask for a sample of it and when I was about to use it, had second thoughts (the consistancy was not that of traditional creams), I lost my nerve and ended up tossing it out.

Top Bottom