What's new

Another knife thread

20230505_125927.jpg
20230505_130022.jpg
20230503_144043.jpg

Here's my new "Honesuki" and my "Chinese Style Vegetable Cleaver". Very good knives at an affordable price.

b/r

ON_1

I don't know a lot on the Dau Vua as I haven't owned one. I would probably go with the newer 52100 steel from what i have read and seen.

I will say though I have been on this journey and spoke with the knife and cleaver guys on the knife forums and they mostly said the Dau Vua were ok, but fit and finish was spotty and sometime pretty rough for the price. They can be more critical though on things like that. They steered me to the Wokshop cleaver and I must say for $15.95 I am very impressed. I got the #2 veggie which they are out of now, but a lot of guys like the #3. No idea what steel it is. It takes a nice screaming edge though and holds it well. I got this also as a project. Then bought a saya from CKTG for it. I didn't like the white wood handle or the white saya. So I ebonized them then did a forced patina on the blade and will probably switch out the handle to the Wa style I also ebonized.
Anyways if you are not sure if you would like a cleaver and want to try one out this is a nice cheap option.
IMG_0020.jpeg
IMG_0031.jpeg
IMG_0158.jpeg
IMG_0196.jpeg
IMG_0159.jpeg
IMG_0199.jpeg
IMG_0198.jpeg
IMG_0200.jpeg
IMG_0233.jpeg

If you really want an expensive fun one though if you can get your hands on a Shibata Tinker Tank these are awesome, but pricey and hard to come by.
IMG_0227.jpeg

funny to me that I just noticed this thread was resurrected after I got done using the Dao Vua in question. Still happy with the purchase 3 years later, and would not hesitate to buy another (though I would probably go 52100 if I was purchasing now)

@rideon66 ...I would agree with your friends. The finish on the two Dao Vua knives I have is a little rough. I'm not an 'Executive Chef', nor am I an 'Advanced Hobbyist', so they work perfectly fine for me. I just ordered a 'Petty' knife. Not Dao Vua. I'll put some images up with my initial opinions when it arrives.

I bought all three of my knives from:
www.TokushuKnife.com

Excellent Customer Service and price.

b/r

ON_1

20230525_165536.jpg

Just received my new "Tsunehisa AS Kurochi Tsuchime 135mm 'Petty'. It was 'hair popp'in' sharp when I got it out of the box. A couple of swipes on a 'Green Oxide' infused Strop and it was scary sharp. LOL! Tokushu says the blade is RCI of 63 - 64? To me, that's a little brittle, so I'll be especially careful with it. I don't need a chipped blade. The blade has been etched and shows the 'Hamon' and the stainless steel cladding - San Mai technique.

www.TokushuKnife.com have done it again!

b/r

ON_1

Top Bottom