What's new

Another cheap electric scuttle idea

And now for my first useful contribution to B&B.

I'm in my local discount homewares et al shop, and happen across an egg cooker.

proxy.php

They had a floor stock sample out of its box, and I immediately noticed its nice small flat hot-plate like heater (as seen below). I thought for $16.99 its certainly worth a shot at being my new lather warmer.

proxy.php

I put some hot-tap hot water into it (only about 50mls or so is all it needs) and switched it on. After 45 seconds the water was already starting to boil.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I switched it off just after the first bubble of air broke the surface (about 55 seconds).

I beat up some lather in my shave mug, which is actually an old soup bowl. I was able to use the boiling/boiled water to make the lather - a real treat in helping make and keep the lather warm.

proxy.php

(adding the half tablespoon of boiled water to the lather bowl)

Once the lather was made, I found I could keep the eggcooker's base kept the bottom of the lather bowl, then the lather itself, warm/hot very easily.

proxy.php

I left the brush in there for about 20 seconds and gave it a few swirls and found the lather to be piping hot and fantastic.

The little eggshell-like plastic handle (or whatever it is) on the side was perfect for storing the brush in if I felt it was getting too hot and endangering the tips of the hairs with heat damage.

proxy.php

I was able to keep the eggcooker base at the right temperature by intermittently switching it on for about 20 seconds until the bubbles started appearing the water around the lather mug.

For $17, you cant go wrong! I consider this to be a little ripper at keeping the lather bowl very hot and also found it very useful at providing really hot water to add while making the lather and providing hot water to add to a towel if I wanted to follow Kyle's barbershop style prep and wrap my face before the shave.

For any Aussie wet-shavers and ravers reading this, I picked up this from The Warehouse, but I'm sure you could get something similar from your local cheap shop wherever you are.

The only problem I have with keeping lather really hot (apart from being careful to not burn the brush) is the lather can dry out fairly quickly and require re-watering and re-making, particularly the C&E Nomad soap which I used. I found the lather kept wetter for longer and didnt dry out if I used my cheap-as-dirt Mennin lather cream.

Cheers lads,

Chris

PS Sorry about the crap quality of these pictures. Unless I've got the flash on, the gamma seems to go all over the place.

As you found out, electric warmers have a tendency to dry out the lather because they keep it too hot. That's why "standard" type scuttles are so popular.

I see that you are using C&E soap in the pictures. That soap I face lather, so I only need a place to park my brush to keep it warm. Or, I simply dip it in hot water when I'm ready to lather up for the next pass. Your gadget would be great for keeping hot water available for that.

Top Bottom