What's new

An Aeropress Convert

My Aeropress arrived yesterday and I can't be more thrilled with it.

My setup is an Aeropress, a Kyocera Hand grinder, and some Cafe Vita Cafe Del Sole espresso beans.

I have used it twice and have gotten suuuuper smooth shots both times. If you don't like bitterness in your shots then its like heaven. There is still tons of the good rich nutty roasty flavors though :drool:

Probably the best cost/benefit ratio for espresso-like coffee.

The Aeropress is a great coffee maker -- sure beats the glass French press system. Haven't used the Kyocera yet. How do you like it? My electric burr grinder is pretty decent, but a hand grinder would be fine for the quantity of beans I usually grind.

The Aeropress is great. I found the instructions very helpful. Other than how to make delicious coffee, the instructions also explain how to make an express and cappuccino. Unfortunately I am putting mine for sale because I've been drinking more green tea.

Jake: The kyocera is working great thus far. It is very satisfying to feel the beans as the grind. I can offer no comments about durability because it is so new.

I will say that it is notorious for not being able to do an even coarse grind (diy modifications are necessary). Luckily the aeropress needs a fine grind so the kyocera works great.

Fill a tall glass with ice.
Press a 2-3 shot on top of that ice.
Splash of milk.

Life is good!

John, I don't know why you'd insist on ruining a nice iced coffee with milk! :001_tongu Nothing beats a bright Kenya or Ethiopia brewed right into ice.

I re-discovered my Aeropress when I picked up the metal Disk filters from Coava coffee... lots more taste and suspended solids in the cup. It's all I took for a week in Kauai, that and a case full of roasted coffee. I use it for coffee at work when I'm not making espresso with the Twist, and it's versatility is amazing.

The inventor, Alan Adler of the Aerobie flying disk fame, is also a home coffee roaster.

(oh, and it's John's fault I'm here)

John, I don't know why you'd insist on ruining a nice iced coffee with milk! :001_tongu Nothing beats a bright Kenya or Ethiopia brewed right into ice.

I re-discovered my Aeropress when I picked up the metal Disk filters from Coava coffee... lots more taste and suspended solids in the cup. It's all I took for a week in Kauai, that and a case full of roasted coffee. I use it for coffee at work when I'm not making espresso with the Twist, and it's versatility is amazing.

The inventor, Alan Adler of the Aerobie flying disk fame, is also a home coffee roaster.

(oh, and it's John's fault I'm here)
We'll be sure to blame John for your good advice, then.

Everyone has convinced me! My aeropress arrives on Monday. I've been using a Keurig for convenience, but doing 20oz (that's my preferred mug size) from each cup. Even with the bold coffees that's just too much for one K-cup to handle. Changed to my french press and I'd forgotten how much better that was, but cleanup is a real pita. I don't have a disposal in my sink, so that makes it worse. This looks to be the perfect way to go. My Keurig will be relegated to "hot water maker" and that's about it.

Last edited:
..but cleanup is a really pita.

Of all the coffee gear I own nothing is as fun to clean as the Aeropress. I've done it a zillion times but it never gets old launching the spend puck into the trash.....it's just plain fun. :)

that was the big selling point for me. Much easier to clean up. I don't really buy into the idea that it's fundamentally superior to a french press. I also needed something bigger than my 1 cup french press anyway so...

I don't really buy into the idea that it's fundamentally superior to a french press. .

I would not use the word superior for either over the other. The Aeropress is much more versatile for sure but I don't look at it like one being better than the other....you need them both.

Yeah cleanup is a blast. I launch the espresso puck into the ferns over my railing!

mtsg: It will just be one more tool in your arsenal :001_smile Do you have a tool for making the beans espresso fine? That really elevates the aeropress into an espresso like experience. This will allow your aeropress to become a totally different beast than your french press. Thus, they can live in harmony together and not get jealous of eachother :wink2:

Just the little Krup grinder that looks like a mini cuisinart. Not all that great, but I had changed to the Keurig, so it didn't matter any more. I'm thinking of trying the kyocera.

The mini french press is doomed to a life in the back of the cupboard I think. Harmony won't be an issue. :)

Yeah, I'm sure French press has the ability to be amazing, but I always seemed to screw it up somehow. The aeropress has been much more forgiving to me. I think the paper filters filter out some of the intense bitterness that can occur with other methods.

Yeah, I'm sure French press has the ability to be amazing, but I always seemed to screw it up somehow. The aeropress has been much more forgiving to me. I think the paper filters filter out some of the intense bitterness that can occur with other methods.

The grind quality is everything. If the grinder is good, a good french press brew is virtually fool-proof.

Every time I had used a french press in the past had been with pre-ground stale coffee. I guess that makes my comparison between the two less than scientific :blush:

Top Bottom