What's new

Amazon gift cards

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why Amazon (and a few others) gift cards sell for more than their face value on eBay.

Any guesses?

That's like camping out to buy a video game system for 2 or 3 hundred bucks and then trying to sell it (and probably succeeding) on the bay for 2-3 times that much just because people don't know how to wait in this country.

I'm seriously thinking of buying 10 $100 gift cards just to sell them. I imagine the profit margin, after fees would be around 5 or 6%, so make 50 or 60 bucks on every 1000 spent, plus yoru 1000 back. After time, and with volume, I could fund all my shaving purchases.

I've heard of a few reasons, and each of them seem to make sense. First is the fact that eBay and Bing will give you cash back on purchases made on ebay. Perhaps after the cash back the money spent comes to face value or less.

Another perhaps more probable theory is that it's mostly scammers who drive up the prices of gift cards. PayPal is notorious for siding with the buyer over seller in disputes, and unscrupulous buyers could get their money back any number of ways. If the seller sends the gift card number via email for an iTunes or Amazon card, the buyer can claim they never got the card. I believe that sending items electronically is against the eBay ToS, so as a seller you'd lose the money there. Perhaps as a buyer you can get the gift card, immediately use it and then claim the card has no value. In this case, PayPal is likely to side with the buyer as well unless the seller can produce concrete evidence to the contrary.

eBay anymore is so trashy... Makes me think of the swap meet on Sunrise Blvd. in the "real nice" part of Fort Lauderdale.

Its no wonder we owe billions of billions to the Chinese and they teach their kids calculus and Americans are hell bent on working from home, being their own boss running an eBay business.

eBay anymore is so trashy... Makes me think of the swap meet on Sunrise Blvd. in the "real nice" part of Fort Lauderdale.

Its no wonder we owe billions of billions to the Chinese and they teach their kids calculus and Americans are hell bent on working from home, being their own boss running an eBay business.

Oh yea the Swap Shop....I've lived in South Florida now for 3.5 years and never been to the Swap Shop.

I moved out of FLA about 15 years ago. The Swap Shop is one of the few things I miss!

Hundreds of booths. Elephants! Carnival rides! Ginsu knives! Those Billy Mays style mops! A gazillion more things like that.

Top Bottom