What's new

after shave with sun protection

I just returned from my dermatologist and she told me that some red blotches on my neck were caused by sun damage. Just cosmetic, nothing that compromises my health. Recommended I wear a hat and sun screen when outside. With this in mind, are there any after shave products that offer some sun protection ? I currently use QED after shave balm, and various after shave splashes like Old Spice and Aqua Velva.

I don't think so - I generally use a moisturizer with SPF on top of my balm.

If you do this, you'll want a very light balm that absorbs completely.

Alternately, you can leave out the balm and put the SPF moisturizer on after your splash.

This doesn't directly answer your question but, did she recommend any particular medications? It may be cosmetic but there are over the counter and perscription medications/cosmetics that will fade the red blotches some. Retin-A is pretty powerful stuff and is perscirption only, it might be overkill. Alpha-hydroxy/fruit acids/glycolic acid is a little gentler. I use some every day. It sensitizes your skin a bit but it's good for it- you should wear sunscreen if you use it. A 5 percent strength is good to start out. It takes months to really work, especially on sun damage. Talk to your doctor first (I sound like a commercial now).

I use alpha hydroxy for acne- I still get a little bit even as an adult. Not as much as a teenager but it's the same variety- papules (bumps). It's also good for your skin in general and I've had enough sunburns as a kid that I need to start taking care of my skin now (I'm 31).

I just returned from my dermatologist and she told me that some red blotches on my neck were caused by sun damage. Just cosmetic, nothing that compromises my health. Recommended I wear a hat and sun screen when outside. With this in mind, are there any after shave products that offer some sun protection ? I currently use QED after shave balm, and various after shave splashes like Old Spice and Aqua Velva.

Day creme UV8 from Louis Widmer (Switzerland) is great stuff. Unfortunately, they do not seem to be distributed in the US.

The doctor said that the only way to clean it up is with laser surgery. Expensive....would need 6 treatments at about $200.00 each. I am 48 years old and you will see this redness in alot guys my age and older. Too many days at the beach or working outside without sunscreen or the right kind of hat. When I was a kid we would all go to the beach for the day with no sunscreen at all. It was unheard of back then. Baby oil if anything at all.

Thanks. What kind of moisturizer with SPF do you use ? I don't want to use anything too greasy.

Neutrogena (men's or women's), Oil of Olay - not kidding, this is great stuff, available everywhere and reasonably priced - they should make a men's line.

http://www.olay.com/ca_en/boutique/complete/products/co1000

Alba makes one, I've not used it, but generally like their other products

http://www.albabotanica.com/?id=55&pid=327

If you want a paraben free product, Alba makes some good sunscreens that aren't too heavy and that have moisturizers in them as well. I've used these products and think they're very good.

I've also used Evian, which is quite good, but a little pricer:

http://www.evianaffinity.ca/en/gammes/originelle/produit05.asp

My nod goes to the Olay or Neutrogena products, but the Alba sunscreen is also a good choice.

I'd get a second opinion. You might even want to talk to a dermatologist or plastic surgeon that deals with sun damage. 200 bucks is alot though, and the glycolic acid/alpha hydroxy is something you can try over the counter. If it is really serious sun damage it might take retin-A, and that's not exactly free either (though it probably is cheaper than laser surgery). They also have treatments like dermabrasion, which are sort of like those scrubs you can get except much more intense.

My little caveat, though. Glycolic acid, or any other exfoliating chemical, can really sensitize your skin and if you are doing traditionally shaving that can be a double whammy. It might be better to lather in a bowl rather than on your face, for instance, and use a soft brush- the softest you can get. A boar, synthetic, or inexpensive badger will be highly exfoliating, and the glycolic acid is already exfoliating enough. You should also start out using the lowest strength product and using it only every other day (at night- as far away from shaving as possible), for a few weeks at least.

I use a Eucerin SPF moisturizer on top of whatever aftershave balm I'm wearing.

L'Oreal apparrently has an aftershave for men that has sunscreen in it: http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=141182&catid=9363

I'd get a second opinion. You might even want to talk to a dermatologist or plastic surgeon that deals with sun damage. 200 bucks is alot though, and the glycolic acid/alpha hydroxy is something you can try over the counter. If it is really serious sun damage it might take retin-A, and that's not exactly free either (though it probably is cheaper than laser surgery). They also have treatments like dermabrasion, which are sort of like those scrubs you can get except much more intense.

My little caveat, though. Glycolic acid, or any other exfoliating chemical, can really sensitize your skin and if you are doing traditionally shaving that can be a double whammy. It might be better to lather in a bowl rather than on your face, for instance, and use a soft brush- the softest you can get. A boar, synthetic, or inexpensive badger will be highly exfoliating, and the glycolic acid is already exfoliating enough. You should also start out using the lowest strength product and using it only every other day (at night- as far away from shaving as possible), for a few weeks at least.

I use a Eucerin SPF moisturizer on top of whatever aftershave balm I'm wearing.

L'Oreal apparrently has an aftershave for men that has sunscreen in it: http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=141182&catid=9363

I totally agree ; I use a Pure Badger brush, and I lather directly on my face rarely, because I feel it would too harsh on a daily basis

I totally agree ; I use a Pure Badger brush, and I lather directly on my face rarely, because I feel it would too harsh on a daily basis

Same here... I use boars or synthetics (which vary in their softness- Body Shop is softer than Omega, for instance... but I like Omega better) but never lather on my face more than enough to work in the lather. Otherwise it gives me "brush burn". Was there ever such a thing? There is now.

I've had the red neck for about 20 years. The choice between laser correction (=pain) and a red neck is easy; call me redneck.

I discovered the L'Oreal a/s 6 months ago. The SPF 15 is fine for most days. When more is needed I have some SPF 45 stuff to smear on.

Top Bottom