What's new

Advice on Badger brush selection

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. I've only had experience with a couple of badger brushes, not the expensive ones you've listed. I am curious why you are only considering badger. You can find some really excellent synthetic brushes very inexpensively at Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, or Maggards. They are much easier to use, as they don't require any maintenance or break-in, and IMHO they perform better than badgers or boars. Of course, YMMV.

Thank you, Steve! I just saw some on sale at WCS and have not much experience with shaving brushes. Used shaving gels for most of my shaves in the past. Can you recommend good synthetic brushes?
San

My best advice on badger brushes is the same advice I received when I bought my first computer in 93--get the best you can afford. The most I've spent on a badger is the low $100's. That's all I can afford. I've got some good ones in the $30-$50 range though too. Still seeking a great badger for under $10.

There are so many variables here!!

You are looking at some excellent badgers. My personal preference among the three you list would be the Rooney. Lovely brushes IMO! Nice density and it is tough to beat their knots!! Just my $0.02! :a29:

Welcome.

Connaught Shaving sells the Muhle STF 23mm (large) synthetic brush delivered for about $50. No shedding, no smell. Outstanding performer.

That is my recommendation.

Mac

Thanks all!
I couldn't find Muhle STF 23mm but Connaught Shaving has Muhle 33K256. Are they same or different shaving brushes?

Thanks!

Thank you, Steve! I just saw some on sale at WCS and have not much experience with shaving brushes. Used shaving gels for most of my shaves in the past. Can you recommend good synthetic brushes?
San

I'm most familiar with the Plissoft brushes from Italian Barber. Any of the 24 mm brushes will work fine--the differences are mostly in the handles, so pick the one you like best.

Thanks all!
I couldn't find Muhle STF 23mm but Connaught Shaving has Muhle 33K256. Are they same or different shaving brushes?
I have that same Muhle brush, known as a Muhle STF 23mm or by the product # Muhle 33K256. It is a synthetic fiber material they call Silvertip Fiber. It's an excellent brush. There is a difference between synthetic & badger brushes. Many like synthetic over badger, & others prefer badger over synthetic. I use both, badger & synthetic. If you decide to get the Muhle 33K256, you will be getting an excellent brush, IMHO.

Ok, so you're in a good spot in terms of price range so you can get a really nice brush. However the ones you've chosen aren't the ones I'd select personally. The Rooney you're not going to get as they are no longer making brushes so it won't be coming back in stock. The Edwin Jagger one isn't all that special and you can do much better in that price range.

In terms or brushes the very best ones can not only be expensive but they can be very hard to get. My favorite brushes at the moment are the Black Eagle HT1 brushes. These aren't in stock and won't be for quite some time. When they are they'll sell out in two minutes. They are also a bit more expensive than the ones you're looking at. Varlet and Declaration Grooming are the same deal. A bit more costly and out of stock all the time. Declaration Grooming does offer a knotting service if you have a handle to send in.

You can likely get a Paladin brush in your price range. They are quite nice.

So what would I purchase in your price range? I'd probably be looking at a Manchurian Fan from Elite Razors. They can provide you with a handle or maybe have Brett at Mozingo Brushworks make you a custom handle and install the knot for you. The Maggard's SHD knots are said to be nice but I haven't tried them myself. You'd need to install the SHD knot into a handle as they are sold as loose knots.

For a much cheaper brush the Finest Fan from Stirling will get your a nice introduction to badger brushes at around the $40 mark. The handle is cheap plastic and clunky but the knot is decent. So if you wanted to try something first before you shell out lots of cash for a really nice brush this might be a good choice. The butterscotch one is really bright orange so the black one is my preference.

Probably look for a brush in the 24mm size range as that seems to be the size that appeals to most people. Fan vs Bulb is another consideration. My preference is for fan shaped knots but the only way you'll know what you like it to try them. I prefer how fan shaped knots pick up the lather a bit more easily.

With brushes you really have to know which ones to buy, as there are a lot out there and they are all quite a bit different from one another and not always in a good way.

I had a great opportunity to visit Bob from Elite Razor this weekend and submit my order for ANTIQUE BRONZE, 26 mm Manchurian white badger brush (Antique Bronze (24 – 26mm) – Elite Razor). It was a great visit and admire his craftsmanship! I will update photos once I have received the brush in few days.

I also ended up ordering Muhle STF 25 mm, Faux horn from Connaught shaving to fulfill my desire to compare badger and synthetic brushes.

Thanks all for your input!

San

Congrats! Great choices.

Just give each one a quick wash in Dawn and warm water prior to first use, and then once a month. The latter helps remove soap residue.

The synthetic should be damp when used. Too wet and it will fling lather. (You will figure it out.)

Rinse each well after use, allow to dry. Never put a wet brush in a closed cabinet.

Have fun!

I think the best bang for the buck Badger is the Semogue SOC 2-band. Lathers any soap, super soft face feel and enough backbone to face lather with. I’d have stopped looking there if I hadn’t lucked into an M&F.

I love my SHD Maggard's brush. I set the knot myself in a handle I had pulled another knot out of that I didn't like. If you have a handle to possibly use with one, you can put together an excellent brush for a great price with one of those knots.

Thank you! Probably, I will look into these options in the future. Already received 26 mm Manchurian white badger brush yesterday. Muhle STF 25 mm should be coming in few days.

Thanks again for all the input!
San

I am enjoying using both Elite Razor Manchurian white badger brush and Muhle STF 25 mm brushes. Great suggestions and great brushes!

Thanks,
San

Top Bottom