What's new

Advice on a 2nd boar brush

I'm still a relative newby and have been rotating between an Omega 65 that I got as part of a starter kit, and a Merkur Silvertip that I got on clearance. (BTW, at <$40, it was a very good deal.) I also have a Razorock barber handle synthetic on the way.

I really would like to get another boar. The Omega works well enough, but I'm finding that the handle is a little too small and slick for face lathering which is what I do almost every shave. Based on what I have read here on B&B, I am looking at a Semogue 620 or the SOC. Is the SOC worth the extra money? I'm interested in hearing what everybody thinks - especially if you have tried both.

I own a SOC in Boar with a Cherry handle and love it. The handle is a great shape and the knot is dense with plenty of backbone. The only concern that may exist is the size of the knot, which is on the larger end of the spectrum. Others who face lather will have to comment on that.

That said, it's a high quality brush that, in my opinion, is well worth the money. If I knew then what I know now, I'd still buy it. It's one of my two favorite brushes (the other being the Semogue 2000).

My advice would be to get one! I have the 610 and the SOC... both are excellent and you can't go wrong with either. 610 is great if you like to face lather as it is a much smaller brush...but the SOC is the best boar brush you can buy IMHO...great for everything..I love mine.

I own a SOC in Boar with a Cherry handle and love it. The handle is a great shape and the knot is dense with plenty of backbone. The only concern that may exist is the size of the knot, which is on the larger end of the spectrum. Others who face lather will have to comment on that.

That said, it's a high quality brush that, in my opinion, is well worth the money. If I knew then what I know now, I'd still buy it. It's one of my two favorite brushes (the other being the Semogue 2000).

+ 1

Even though the SOC is bigger than the 610 or 620 it face lathers perfectly fine! I face lather with both...and get excellent results..just the 610 or 620 is smaller so perhaps is more suited...but the SOC can do everything you want a brush to do!

I have both the SOC and Semogue 610 and they both are great face lathering brushes. I actually prefer the 610, but you really can't go wrong with either one.

This might be off the mark and not helpful to you, I don't know as I'm not familiar with the brushes in question.

i will say though that I really like the badger and blade branded brush from west coast shaving. It is the only boar I own, but a very a good brush. I like the handle shape quite a bit

Thanks so much for all of your input. It sounds like I can't go wrong either way, so I put both of them on my Christmas list. We'll see what happens. Thanks again!

Doug

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Both is always the right answer! However, I'll chip in my two cents anyway. The 620 is a great brush, but very similar in feel and function to the Omega 65, albeit with a much nicer handle. The SOC, on the other hand, will be a whole new experience.

I think everyone should own an Omega and a Semogue boar. They are great brushes. So, if you have one, buy the other.

I have the Semogue 830 and love the performance and the look of the clear handle with red accent.

I just pulled the trigger on a 620 this afternoon. I have a 10066 which is the same as the '65 I believe, but with an ivory handle. I have the Semogue 1800 and like it a lot - it is firmer than the 10066 - probably due to the hair combo in the 1800 and the pronounced glue bump in the model I have. I really like both the 10066 Omega and the 1800 for face lathering. I liked the acrylic handle on the 620 though. The knot on my 10066 was loose - so I pulled it and filled the base with some quarters and epoxy for weight.
There is a good explanation of the different combinations and characteristics of the hair in the Semogue brushes by the proprietor of Vintage Scents in these forums and there are some wonderful brush comparions done by member SHM (Soren) >> here is one here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/292985-Semogue-620-vs-Semogue-1800

I do not think you can go wrong with having a couple of each. I think the 1250, 1305, 1800 would be great choices with very nice handles and 55mm lofts - then there are the 610 and 620 in 50mm and the 830 model - same as 1305 with acrylic handle

. $20151129_220625.jpg

Top Bottom