What's new

Adding glycerin or aloe to Aqua Velva?

I've seen numerous posts regarding adding these ingredients to achieve a higher level of moisturization. I love my Aqua Velva, but would like a little more moisturization.
I've tried using a moisturizer/balm after using the AV but that decreases or alters the scent of the AV, so I'd rather change the AV to be more moisturizing if possible. I know AV makes an aftershave balm as well, but it doesn't smell the same and has no menthol (I love the cooling of menthol:biggrin:).
So, can I add glycerin and/or aloe to get the desire effect? Has anyone else done this with AV? If so, how much do I add?

I add aloe to my homemade aftershaves. Usually 1 -2 teaspoons per 100ml works for me. I would add a little at a time and go from there. You can always add more as you feel it necessary.

I keep my Aqua Velva straight up, no glycerin. There already is some in it. If I want more I follow it up with a balm.

I did try adding glycerin to some Taylors Sandalwood as that stuff felt like it had no moisturizing properties at all, just a scented alcohol burn/cologne kindofathang. I decanted some off to try it out so I didn't wreck the whole bottle, seemed to work OK.

A few drops of glycerine will make a difference - that's the biggest difference between the Booster Polar Ice and AV - and what makes the Booster a better product in my mind.

Use an eye-dropper or pipette and add a few drops at a time, too much and it will feel sticky/tacky. It shouldn't take much to notice a difference - I've done this with products and it works very well. You can get glycerine at most drugstores and its cheaper there than at a specialty store.

Not sure about the aloe, but I don't think it dissolves/blends in as well - I'd see if anyone has tried this before trying to add aloe to your AV.

A few drops of glycerine will make a difference - that's the biggest difference between the Booster Polar Ice and AV - and what makes the Booster a better product in my mind.

Use an eye-dropper or pipette and add a few drops at a time, too much and it will feel sticky/tacky. It shouldn't take much to notice a difference - I've done this with products and it works very well. You can get glycerine at most drugstores and its cheaper there than at a specialty store.

Not sure about the aloe, but I don't think it dissolves/blends in as well - I'd see if anyone has tried this before trying to add aloe to your AV.

+1
AV already has glycerin in it, so a bit more can be added. I have some Ralph Lauren Romance Silver A/S. It is the harshest I had ever experienced. My pepper spray training was better. I added several drops of glycerin to it and it became a nice mildly moisturizing A/S with just the right amount of WAHOO.

Chris,
it works well. I use the Aloe Vera juice which is not the same as aloe vera gel which has had thickeners added to give it that 'gel' texture. The aloe vera juice is one of the most purest forms of aloe available and has been processed very carefully so that nothing is lost in the process. It's more of a watery texture and mixes ver well.

Chris,
it works well. I use the Aloe Vera juice which is not the same as aloe vera gel which has had thickeners added to give it that 'gel' texture. The aloe vera juice is one of the most purest forms of aloe available and has been processed very carefully so that nothing is lost in the process. It's more of a watery texture and mixes ver well.

Not entirely true. Aloe gel is the stuff that flows naturally from the freshly cut flesh of the aloe- no artificial thickeners added, it contains long chain polysaccharide mucilage naturally, hence the thickness and moisturising properties. Aloe "juice" can refer to a variety of products rectified from the aloe plant, usually in a process adding water. Think of the difference between orange juice and orange "juice drink"- it's different terminology demanded by law to differentiate the cheaper product.

Aloe will be unlikely to dissolve in an alcohol splash due to the alcohol content- mucilages are exclusively water soluble, and an alcohol content much over 25% will make them precipitate. It will look like a string of snot floating around in the bottle. How they get the aloe in Musgo Real I'd love to know- I suspect the Polyethylene Glycol helps to keep it in suspension.

Glycerin will work fine- soluble in alcohol or water, so it will mix into any aftershave you want. It has no smell, and only a tiny amount is required to get the results you want. I'd recommend it strongly.

Don't totally agree with you.

Making Aloe Gel is a process of reconstituting the Aloe powder with water, and adding a thickener to form a gel.

The label of the aloe vera gel I use says

Aloe Vera Gel
Triethanolamine: A pH balancer
Tocopheryl acetate: vitamin E acetate
carbomer 940: Excellent Thickening efficiency at high viscosity and sparkling clear transparency
tetrasodium edta: Bonding agent
dmdm hydantoin: preservative
diazolidinyl urea; antimicrobial preservative

Aloe Vera gel is the product that is squeezed from the leaves of the aloe plant. The gel has a thick consistency for a short time, but after a few minutes, an enzyme reaction occurs and the product becomes a liquid. This product is freeze dried to preserve its properties. The resulting product is Aloe Powder. Aloe Powder is a lyophilized (Freeze Dried) crystalline powder produced from the gel of the Aloe Vera Barbadensis-Miller plant that has been organically grown. During processing, the powder is blended with food grade maltodextrin to avoid clumping, due to Aloe powder’s hygroscopic nature. The resulting product is a powdered concentrate of the liquid Aloe gel that may be reconstituted with deionized water (stable with the addition of further preservatives), typically at a reconstitution ratio of 1:99. Aloe Powder is water miscible, and may be used in cosmetics, toiletries, pharmaceuticals, health foods and beverages. Aloe Powder may also be added directly to your melt and pour soap base at a level of up to 1/2% by weight.

As for the Aloe Vera water

Blend 1oz (28grams)100X Aloe Powder with 99oz (2772grams) distilled water.
Stir well until fully blended and no aloe powder is visible.
Add 28 grams Germaben II to preserve the reconstituted mixture.
Can be added to your lotion and soap recipes to replace the water.

As for the glycerine I totally agree with you. I do the same.

Added glycerin and/or aloe will most likely float, you would also need to add an emulsifier or just shake it well before each use. Add only a little at a time, too much glycerin will leave your skin feeling tacky. You can also use Citric Acid to balance the ph. You should be able to find aloe, glycerin, citric acid (and ph test strips) at your local pharmacy.
HTH, Sue

Added glycerin and/or aloe will most likely float, you would also need to add an emulsifier or just shake it well before each use. Add only a little at a time, too much glycerin will leave your skin feeling tacky. You can also use Citric Acid to balance the ph. You should be able to find aloe, glycerin, citric acid (and ph test strips) at your local pharmacy.
HTH, Sue

When I'm looking for Aloe in the pharmacy, am I looking for aloe juice or what? I've seen that at Wally World...

Tim,
Use your preferred form for the end result you want. Maybe experiment with the different types to find out which is for you and your skin type. Keep good notes of your usage.
Sue

Added glycerin and/or aloe will most likely float, you would also need to add an emulsifier

I don't think glycerin would float. I'm almost certain it would mix.

We don't have Aqua Velva in Australia, so I can't check. If it floated I would be very surprised.

I like to mix.

There have been good recipes and there have been some that "didnt cut it".
I'll tell you this (cause I just made some the other day)
Aqua Velva combined with Jasons Witch Vera (witch hazel + aloe gel)
is very nice indeed.

I keep posting this (and will continue to do so) because it is a valuable recipe ....not an original one, mind you:
Corn Huskers Lotion +
Aloe Gel +
Witch Hazel

When you want a good homemade product that wont break the bank, give this a whirl.
Add some of your favorite After shave for a very moisturizing and healing concoction.

I have been using both liquid aftershaves and EDTs for years. I find that applying the aftershave liquid immediately after a shave tests my fondness for wet shaving. I may be in the minority, but if I am going to apply any alcohol based product to my face after a 3+ pass shave I want a balm/milk pre-application. I will gladly wait the 15+min to let the balm/milk do its work. Thereafter, the liquid product will go on with the least irratation. The scent retains its character and my face retains the moisturization from the hydrating balm/milk. By letting the balm/milk work in. at, or near, total absorpsion, conflicts are less likely. Granted, you want to use complementary scents if possible. An Aqua Velva complement that immediately comes to mind is Nautica Voyage balm and cologne. If it wasn't getting so late and my brain wasn't so fried from work I could probably come up with more.

I like to mix.

There have been good recipes and there have been some that "didnt cut it".
I'll tell you this (cause I just made some the other day)
Aqua Velva combined with Jasons Witch Vera (witch hazel + aloe gel)
is very nice indeed.

I keep posting this (and will continue to do so) because it is a valuable recipe ....not an original one, mind you:
Corn Huskers Lotion +
Aloe Gel +
Witch Hazel

When you want a good homemade product that wont break the bank, give this a whirl.
Add some of your favorite After shave for a very moisturizing and healing concoction.

So what is the ratio for the recipe? 1 to 1.. how much of each... wanna try it out... Thx

Top Bottom