What's new

About those Broad Nibs

So I usually buy F or EF nibs when I buy my pens but I always read topics and posts when people talk about these Broad Nibs. I wanted to try one to see all the hype so I purchased a Pilot 78G Broad.

I have several of these 78G pen's in F and EF but these Broad tips have a uniqueness to them. I think I find myself doing swirls and other swish's (I hope you know what I mean) I think the print looks amazing. The drawback is that I can not write cursive at all using these broad nibs.

Question, Do the 1.1 Stub or other large Broad Nibs act the same way?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
No, to me they don't act the same. For one thing, the Pilot nib has no tipping material and is shaped more like an italic writing nib. It isn't what I would consider a broad nib or a stub, of course others may think differently. For my tastes, I like a healthy blob of iridium to smooth things out.

I have trouble with crisp italic nibs as they tend to "catch" on the corners during my right upstrokes. Again, others here love them. I do occasionally use the "cursive italics" I own but need to slow down and be more conscious of how I hold the pen.

True broad nibs are just bigger. Stubs and italics will give more line variation but you do have to focus more on how you are holding the pen. Not that a broad won't look nice... I just have to write bigger with my broad Pelikan, more so with the BB.

Top Bottom