What's new

AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

Hi all --

While perusing Basenotes last night I came across this Italian perfumery. I'd never heard of it before. The site is more than a little confusing but if you poke around on it for awhile it begins to make sense. First click on "products" on the left side. From there, click on "scents of the soul."

Apparently, the perfumer is a French guy who lives in Italy. He's a Sufi, thus most of his scents are composed around essences & fragrances that are native to the Middle East. The other thing about him is that he only works with naturally-occuring materials (including natural ambergris!), both plant & animal. No synthetics or chemical derivatives (except for one, and he's very specific about which one and what fragrance it's used in) are used.

The more I read, the more fascinated I became. Have any of you gents experienced any of these frags? Most (if not all) of them are available at theperfumedcourt.com. I ordered 3 samples: Mysore Sandalwood, Cannabis & Grezzo d'Eleganza. The 1st 2 frags are the actual EO dissolved in perfumer's alcohol. (Yes, it's real cannabis EO but apparently not psychoactive.) The 3rd one is one of his fragrances, which really sounds amazing.

What do you guys think?

I loved the cedar and the oak moss was really nice (wish I'd ordered a larger sample.)

I ordered the Mysore as well and liked it, but didn't think it was as amazing as purported on the site, especially compared to something like Etro Sandalo. I'll be interested to hear what you think...maybe it was just the expectations.

I've tried Tabac and let me tell you... WOW! This is a hardcore in-your-face tobacco scent not for the faint at heart! I appreciate the realistic aspect of the fragrance, but I was still shaky on whether or not it was wearable. Worth a smell just for the experience as it really did bring up some memories of the past.

I loved the cedar and the oak moss was really nice (wish I'd ordered a larger sample.)

Did you get individual cedar & oak moss scents? Or did you get a blend incorporating both of them?

I ordered the Mysore as well and liked it, but didn't think it was as amazing as purported on the site, especially compared to something like Etro Sandalo. I'll be interested to hear what you think...maybe it was just the expectations.

Maybe. But the way I understand it, the Mysore is just that: Mysore Sandalwood EO dissolved in alcohol & nothing else. Etro's Sandalo is a blended, finished fragrance that incorporates sandalwood. So they're kind of apples & oranges.

I've looked through the site before and his work looks very interesting. Make sure you give us detailed reviews!

Will do! :thumbup1:

I've tried Tabac and let me tell you... WOW! This is a hardcore in-your-face tobacco scent not for the faint at heart! I appreciate the realistic aspect of the fragrance, but I was still shaky on whether or not it was wearable. Worth a smell just for the experience as it really did bring up some memories of the past.

Yeah, I'm not exactly a tobacco guy -- think I'll give this one a wide berth. But it sure sounds interesting for those who are into it. Could pair well w/Alt Innsbruck's splash!

Did you get individual cedar & oak moss scents? Or did you get a blend incorporating both of them?

I got the individual scents. The oak moss is really nice, very masculine, but the cedar was my favorite. In fairness, I'm a a big cedar fan and had no expectations for it.

I figured the Mysore would be single note, I guess for P.Court to say it's a personal favorite (and being a sandalwood freak) I expected it to knock me flat. Instead I thought it was really good. As always, YMMV.

Received & used the Mysore Sandalwood today. Great stuff, but a very light, single-note sandalwood scent. Didn't last overly long, either. I have a feeling that if I bought a bottle of this stuff it'd be gone very quickly. But I'd smell great for as long as it lasted! :tongue_sm

Tried a sample of this frag today. Holy moly ... what a scent!

It's very light, but beautifully composed. As far as I can tell, it consists of sandalwood, incense (which I think is frankincense), orange flower & rose. It's very light but beautifully done, and stays very close to the skin. I'm not normally a big frankincense fan but there's an almost citrusy, lemony quality to this particular frankincense that differentiates it from others I've smelled. (Henry, this might be a contender for that incense scent you're looking for.)

The overall fragrance doesn't smell particularly feminine or masculine to me, just low-key & high quality. You can read about it here. I'd also add that if you're not a fan of rose, stay away from this one. Not that the rose hits you over the head but it's most definitely present.

I applied it @ around 8 this morning. It's now almost 3pm and I can still detect the scent -- albeit faintly -- on my skin. I figured the stuff would burn off pretty quickly. It's definitely quieted down but it's still most definitely present. Better longevity than I thought! :thumbup1:

I ordered a bunch more samples of his different scents. I'll post my impressions as I journey through them. For me, though, this one's a winner.

Top Bottom