What's new

Skin Deep: We’re animals, after all!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
[FONT=&amp]Pee-eww! [/FONT]
proxy.php

By Rachel Syme - NY Times - 26 Oct 16

"In 2012, Victor Wong, a video game designer for toy companuy in Toronto, had a tiny midlife crisis in his hotel room while on vacation. He felt burned out on work but was strangely revived by sniffing the hotel toiletries, which came from a niche fragrance line he can no longer recall.

What he does remember is that he swooned over the scents, which were spicy, musky and intense. He knew then and there that he wanted to make perfume.

Returning home, Mr. Wong began haunting the message boards of the cult perfume sites BaseNotes and Fragrantica, feverishly researching the formulas behind his favorite scents. The same notes kept popping up: castoreum, civet, musk, ambergris. He realized that he was drawn, in an instinctual way, to animal-derived scents — or rather (because most perfumery materials that come from animals are now banned or heavily regulated) to their lab-created chemical equivalents.

When Mr. Wong worked up the courage to put out an open call online for a perfumer to help him create his fragrance, he already had a specific, and beastly, concept in his head. He would call his line Zoologist, and he would release a series of scents named for the wild creatures that inspired them.

The British perfumer Chris Bartlett was the first to respond, with a bold idea for the maiden fragrance in the Wong menagerie. He wanted to capture the essence of a beaver. Mr. Bartlett proposed a scent that used no real animal ingredients, but smelled strongly of wet fur, dank musk, felled trees and the sour buttery odor of a beaver’s castor sac secretions.

Mr. Wong said yes immediately. When Beaver hit the market in 2014, it immediately became a polarizing sensation in the niche perfume world. CaFleureBon, which reviews cult perfumes, named it one of the best of the year, and fans flocked to its peppery, sweaty funk. But, as Mr. Wong now admits, “it was ultimately too challenging for a lot of people.”

“A lot of people thought it was interesting but said that they would never wear it,” he said. The smell of damp pelt (and the not-so-subtle bodily connotations of the name) made some customers feel uncomfortable rather than swaddled in the dense odor.

So Mr. Wong asked Mr. Bartlett to revisit his formula, and this fall they released Beaver 2016, a riff on the original idea but with more “fresh air and river top notes to make it more attractive.”

Mr. Wong has released six other perfumes, including Bat, a pungent reverie on banana, cave dirt, musk and overripe figs from the perfumer Dr. Ellen Covey that won the top prize at the 2016 Art and Olfaction Awards. The venerable fragrance critic Luca Turin gave Bat a rave, writing that “the fragrance seems lit from within by the earth note all the way to drydown.”

attachment.php

A bevy of modern animalic perfumes (clockwise from bottom left): Suédois by Euphorium Brooklyn, Bat by Zoologist, Ma Bête by Eris, Cadavre Exquis by Fazzolari & Gardoni, Equus by YeYe Parfums and Beaver by Zoologist.CreditDavid Brandon Geeting for The New York Times

Read More: Animal perfumes

proxy.php
“A good [aftershave or cologne] is really a powerful cocktail of memories and emotion". Jeffery Stepakoff

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
A good read. The best new things come from thinking outside the box, and taking a chance.

It'd be interesting if actual human pheromones got incorporated into colognes (as opposed to the comic book ad claiming to do so).

AA

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I'm intrigued. I ordered all seven samples today.
pbrmhl:
Can you give us your 'take / reveiw' on these scents when you get them
proxy.php

proxy.php
“Happiness is like [cologne]: You can't give it away without getting a little on yourself". Tonsumology (the study of shaving), Slogan

I received my seven-pack of samples yesterday (although one was missing, a situation Victor promptly remedied by mailing the missing animal).

I tried Bat first, last night. I sense a similar DNA to Imaginary Authors. It's not nearly as civit present as, say, Kouros, and is actually quite pleasant. I sense a bit of banana, but otherwise I can't parse any elements. (My nose is horrible.) I'll try it again after I dance with the other animals. Next up? Nightingale.

Last night I tried Nightingale. It was more feminine than Bat, but not too much so. (I'm a big fan of Juliette Has A Gun's Midnight Oud, which is in theory a ladies' perfume.) In fact, Nightingale reminded me of Midnight Oud, but without the oud. Kind of a light, Asian, floral scent. Again, my nose is not very helpful in describing scents.

[FONT=&amp]Pee-eww! [/FONT]
proxy.php

By Rachel Syme - NY Times - 26 Oct 16

"In 2012, Victor Wong, a video game designer for toy companuy in Toronto, had a tiny midlife crisis in his hotel room while on vacation. He felt burned out on work but was strangely revived by sniffing the hotel toiletries, which came from a niche fragrance line he can no longer recall.

What he does remember is that he swooned over the scents, which were spicy, musky and intense. He knew then and there that he wanted to make perfume.

Returning home, Mr. Wong began haunting the message boards of the cult perfume sites BaseNotes and Fragrantica, feverishly researching the formulas behind his favorite scents. The same notes kept popping up: castoreum, civet, musk, ambergris. He realized that he was drawn, in an instinctual way, to animal-derived scents — or rather (because most perfumery materials that come from animals are now banned or heavily regulated) to their lab-created chemical equivalents.

When Mr. Wong worked up the courage to put out an open call online for a perfumer to help him create his fragrance, he already had a specific, and beastly, concept in his head. He would call his line Zoologist, and he would release a series of scents named for the wild creatures that inspired them.

The British perfumer Chris Bartlett was the first to respond, with a bold idea for the maiden fragrance in the Wong menagerie. He wanted to capture the essence of a beaver. Mr. Bartlett proposed a scent that used no real animal ingredients, but smelled strongly of wet fur, dank musk, felled trees and the sour buttery odor of a beaver’s castor sac secretions.

Mr. Wong said yes immediately. When Beaver hit the market in 2014, it immediately became a polarizing sensation in the niche perfume world. CaFleureBon, which reviews cult perfumes, named it one of the best of the year, and fans flocked to its peppery, sweaty funk. But, as Mr. Wong now admits, “it was ultimately too challenging for a lot of people.”

“A lot of people thought it was interesting but said that they would never wear it,” he said. The smell of damp pelt (and the not-so-subtle bodily connotations of the name) made some customers feel uncomfortable rather than swaddled in the dense odor.

So Mr. Wong asked Mr. Bartlett to revisit his formula, and this fall they released Beaver 2016, a riff on the original idea but with more “fresh air and river top notes to make it more attractive.”

Mr. Wong has released six other perfumes, including Bat, a pungent reverie on banana, cave dirt, musk and overripe figs from the perfumer Dr. Ellen Covey that won the top prize at the 2016 Art and Olfaction Awards. The venerable fragrance critic Luca Turin gave Bat a rave, writing that “the fragrance seems lit from within by the earth note all the way to drydown.”

attachment.php

A bevy of modern animalic perfumes (clockwise from bottom left): Suédois by Euphorium Brooklyn, Bat by Zoologist, Ma Bête by Eris, Cadavre Exquis by Fazzolari & Gardoni, Equus by YeYe Parfums and Beaver by Zoologist.CreditDavid Brandon Geeting for The New York Times

Read More: Animal perfumes

proxy.php
“A good [aftershave or cologne] is really a powerful cocktail of memories and emotion". Jeffery Stepakoff
Thank for another interesting post.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
For those who may be interested, Chiseled Face is collaborating with Zoologist for a limited edition shaving soap: Chiseled Face

Ordered the soap as I love the Chiseled Face line and realized that I should probably try the perfume too. Prompt remedied that omission and had a lovely chat with Victor. Looking forward to trying both creations!

Ordered the soap as I love the Chiseled Face line and realized that I should probably try the perfume too. Prompt remedied that omission and had a lovely chat with Victor. Looking forward to trying both creations!
I saw that you said you'd ordered it in the Chiseled Face thread. Interested in hearing about this one.

Top Bottom