What's new

AAARRGH!! Decisions, decisions....

So the more I'm shaving with a straight the more I'm enjoying it. For the most part, as of right now, a lot of my DE's and SE's have been reserved for when I'm short on time. So I'm in a bit of a pickle here, and I realize to some of you guys having several dozen plus razors is no biggie but I'm starting to wonder how much they might get used. I snatched up a bunch of different DE's for the simple fact of variety and being able to rotate with different nuances between razors. Now I'm wrestling with the idea of buying more straights. So I'm undecided about what to do with some of my DE's. I mean for example I have 5 Gillette NEW's 2 of which are red and blacks. The other 3 have no cases. I love the way they shave so I obviously hoarded them and when I saw a nicer looking one that the one I had I bought it, etc. But it's been a few weeks since I have even rotated any of my DE's and I'm debating to sell or hold them. I could easily sell some and put the $ to my current straight AD. But then again I really like them and for the most part they're the more popular brands, (NEW, Slim, Redtip, etc). So I don't know if I should pitch them if I'm not going to use them, or hang on to them and see what happens. I'm sure there are a few of you who have gone through this so what do you guys think?

I sold all but one of my DE razors. I kept an EJ89L and sold all the rest. It only gets used every so often, like when I'm being hurried up.

Now that I have started using a straight, I am thinking about selling off 5 of my DE's. Of course, that would still leave me with 7!!

I sold all but one of my DE razors. I kept an EJ89L and sold all the rest. It only gets used every so often, like when I'm being hurried up.

I sold most, but not all of my DEs.

I hate to say it but sooner or later you may encounter the same situation with straight razors.

It becomes very easy to be sucked into the SRAD vortex, not to mention hones, strops, brushes, aftershave, cologne, soaps, creams, etc.

One day you wake up and ask yourself "What have I done? I've spent $750 for a damn rock! I've spent thousands for razors that are only used once in 60 or 90 days, $600 for a big name discontinued cologne!! What the H3LL have I become?

And then you go have a nice shave and all is well.:biggrin1:

By-the-way, I still have my #16. It is my only remaining Gillette, I've not shaved with it for over a year, but I just can't let her go. I sold a mint gold #66, and a coronation #66 that was flawless, an excellent President, a super #58, a mint Sticky, Even a cased HD Rocket, but I will not sell the #16. When I'm older, have had a stroke, in the damn rest home, I'll use that #16 and smile, remembering the way things were.

Last edited:
I've kept my collection of DE's. It took alot of effort, time and money to put the collection together and although it doesn't get used too much these days, I still really enjoy owning it.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I have issues keeping stuff that I don't use. I mean, if it's made to be displayed like a painting, that's all right. If it's a kitchen knife and I never use it, it will go out. When I switched to straights, I kinda lost interest in DE. I sold all my DE after 3 months of straight shaving.

All DE's gone bar my too cheap to sell Wilkinson one.

There is a problem with straight really you want two minimum so you can have one to use if anything (I am not tempting fate, please don't spite me) happens to your main one. It's good also to have one to switch to if you are not happy after touching it up or left it too long to touch up etc

This is where the ad cycle starts, but since you need to store straights correctly you can only have as many as you can store (nicely cleaned up and shave ready I can confess to having a box of to be restored ones), this is also how you can mistakenly think people have a stolen Museum exhibit in there house.

It's funny because I was thinking about this just a little while ago.
I have a sizable collection of DE's and I need the cash to go buy some straights.
Heaven help me if I want to learn how to hone them too.

I don't have a ton of DE's, but I will probably hold on to them.

I do have a couple duplicates that I find superfluous now that I am straight shaving mostly. I will probably put them on the BST some time this month.

I sold all but 2 of my DE's as well. I figured no point in keeping them around if other people could be putting them to use. I also needed to fund other shaving related purchases.

I only have one DE razor. I also have about 150 blades left. I haven't used it in probably 3 months now.

I have sold, traded or PIF'd most, but I have a small rotation of DE's left that I enjoy and use.

Now, if I can only keep myself from acquiring more straights. :001_unsur

Help or maybe and intervention may be needed. :scared: :confused1

Hi,

I'm trying to balance the same thing too. I have bunch of straights and few DE's. I'm not the kind of person to just buy things to shelve or look at. I by them to use them. So I've been thinking of thinning down my straights to about 7 or 8 and keeping 1 or 2 DE's. That should be enough variety. :laugh: Maybe?

- Mike

I have 2 DE's which I will hold on to for now if I need them in a pinch. I have 3 straights right now , 2 of which Im using. Im loving my new one from The Restored Razor (Hi Mike).
This past year I have been using DE's but just finally got one straight honed and a new vintage, so Im back on the straight road and don't plan on looking back to DE.
I do plan on picking some more straights up in the near future, I don't have a set amount that I want to carry since my AD's are in full gear.

I have 2 DE's which I will hold on to for now if I need them in a pinch. I have 3 straights right now , 2 of which Im using. Im loving my new one from The Restored Razor (Hi Mike).
This past year I have been using DE's but just finally got one straight honed and a new vintage, so Im back on the straight road and don't plan on looking back to DE.
I do plan on picking some more straights up in the near future, I don't have a set amount that I want to carry since my AD's are in full gear.

Hi Jason,

Glad to hear you are loving the new vintage straight razor.

- Mike

Thanks Mike,

I like the new section you put in The Restored Razor site under the Budget Straight Razors. Now your razor's are even more tempting.

Happy New Year.

I'd keep one of each type and display them as a collection. And use them when you get the hankerin'. I have a friend who uses straights but likes go back to his DEs occasionally just because he likes them.

Top Bottom