What's new

A Tiki Thread!

I am liking the Tony Rocky Horror cocktail. Modern tiki--orgeat, falernum, pastis, light and dark rums. Named after the character in Pulp Fiction.

Next up, Philadelphia Fish House Punch, not tiki, of course, a very old cocktail, but calls for Jamaican rum.

Great...'cos I have Jamaïcan rum! Now, just wondering if the Punch calls for trout or bass?

Good question. Whatever they were pulling out of the Schuylkill River in Philly in the late 1700s, I suppose. The drink is said to have originated at the Schuylkill Fishing Company, later called State in Schuylkill, a fishing and hunting club located in what is now the City of Philadelphia. I have a recollection that bass were not so widely dispersed across the US as they are now. I do not know if the Schuylkill was a part of the original habitat.

Just to keep this thread going, is there a difference between a Zombie and a Zombie Punch? I just read an article that seems to make a distinction without explaining, as in "Don Beach took credit for both the Zombie and the Zombie Punch."

Tony Rocky Horror seems very tiki to me and is a nice cocktail. Philadelphia Fish House Punch, is not tiki at all, but is very tasty. Goes down easy. But holy smoke it is powerful. Apparently our forefathers really liked to drink.

You should watch the Ken Burns documentary, "Prohibition."

Did Burns talk about our Revolutionary War founding fathers? Apparently the country was been fairly hard drinking for a long time. Apparently, while in Philly working on some revolutionary war document or other, George Washington drank so much Fish Punch he did not manage to write in his journal for three days.

I got some Probitas white rum which is apparently sold as Veritas in some countries. A blend of Four Square Barbados rums and a Hampden Jamaican rum. Wonderful stuff. Seems like a perfect mixer. Complex. The Jamaican post sill element it forward but does not dominate.

Top Bottom